Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas Steve Hackett ever done "a power chord"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
leadsynt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has Steve Hackett ever done "a power chord"?
    Posted: June 29 2011 at 04:06
funny question LOL

definitely in GTR  he would play mostly electric guitar (while Howe would play preferentially acoustic). That kind of songs required the typical power chord accompaniment here and there just to give the rock flavor.
BTW, dubbing the 1st with the 5th does not add much harmonic information, so to play a power chord or just the root but very loud and distorted doesn't make much difference. 
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 14:47
IIRC Hackett plays power chords a fair bit. Watcher of the Skies is almost all power chords, and I believe he does quite a fair bit on Musical Box and Fountain (in addition to the aforementioned Hogweed). Supper's Ready has quite a bit as well, and so does Get Em Out By Friday. He's also playing power chords for virtually all of Tony's solo in Cinema Show. LLDOB (the song) is also mostly power chords, and I believe a few other songs on that album are as well, though I'm having a tough time remembering offhand.
American Khatru View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 07:22
Eureka!!!

We've been poking about, looking here and there for some power chords - but, to me, the real find was always going to be something from the classic era.

Minutes ago, iPod on shuffle, up came...

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed"  -  Genesis Live (1973)

Of course - how could I have missed it all this time (classic Genesis fan that I am)?!  At the end, after Gabriel cries "Revenge!", Mr. Hackett plays power chords one after the other.  At the very least they're "power fifths" on the lowest two or three strings of his guitar.  You can tell it's him because Rutherford can be heard on bass.  I don't have the time to check the original Nursery Cryme track right now.

IMO these chords, played in this way, are there to serve a purpose, rather successfully I might add.  The grandiose anger that carries the end of this song begs such guitar playing; along with what Banks is doing this is like a Mahler-or-Strauss-sized orchestra's brass section slamming long and full chords ff, perhaps with strings playing tremolo beneath.  The fact that this isn't used elsewhere (is it?) shows the imminent taste and poise of bona fide composers at work. 

Why must my spell-checker continually underline the word "prog"?

fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 14:53
Does Vampire With a Healthy Appetite qualify as power chords?
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 13:04
Hercules Unchained kind of covers that area.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 16:01
^ Such a gentlemanly guitar lesson.  I love all the offers of things to do if you get tired, if you're running out of steam. LOL

"Here endeth the lesson", and a slight bow. Hug

As for the power chords, OP better show his friend, 'cuz this is as close as yr likely to git.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 19:46
From 2:09 onwards, Hackett plays a plethora of power chords!! Clap

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 06:08
Originally posted by Ladislas Ladislas wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58jcwq6RoBA&feature=player_detailpage#t=16s     Is that an answer ? prog on ! bye
Ha ha, didn;t knoe about that, very funny.  And yet, still, I didn't notice a "power chord" (didn't have time to watch past the halfway mark though, gotta run).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 06:07
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by American Khatru American Khatru wrote:

^ I think you're right.  I for one love that the OP put this up because it really shows something unusual, putting aside any silly ideas of rock-guitar propriety (not propagated by OP; maybe by his friend - unimportant).  I mean, the first finger barred across the neck, the other fingers arranged and all strings struck together for the power chord - such a staple in rock guitar work - it looks like you have to go far to find just a handful of examples.  Heck, in the video of "Moonlit Knight" above, at 3'40", watch him do those chords during his solo (m3-2-4-1-repeat).  Sure they're not truly power chords, but even these he takes at a fast arpeggio, first up then down, and it's a thing that a lot of other guitarists probably would have just hit the strings all together.  He really is special in subtle ways, on top of kicking butt when he wants to.

Great comments!  Hackett's guitar-playing fits into the context of the group....."power chords" are played on the Hammond organ or Mellotron by Tony Banks, or occasionally, as barre chords by Rutherford on 12 string, etc.    

Hackett approaches the guitar very much like a cello/viola, using single notes or combinations of notes.  He never seeks to overwhelm, unlike more bombastic chordal players like Bob Fripp!  

I always found his approach to be very sophisticated and never really missed the power-chord aspect.  Their music doesn't really need it.   However, if you ask him nicely, I'm sure he'll play some power chords for you!  
Great comments y'self cstack3!  You're 100% on with "context".  The responsibilities were so well shared in that band; I still discover things in these records, records that I've known longer than I've known most people.  With you on his classical instrument approach as well.  "Sophisticated" for sure - and I think this, among other things, gives their music such longevity.

Ladislas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 17:00
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 16:04

^ I think you're right.  I for one love that the OP put this up because it really shows something unusual, putting aside any silly ideas of rock-guitar propriety (not propagated by OP; maybe by his friend - unimportant).  I mean, the first finger barred across the neck, the other fingers arranged and all strings struck together for the power chord - such a staple in rock guitar work - it looks like you have to go far to find just a handful of examples.  Heck, in the video of "Moonlit Knight" above, at 3'40", watch him do those chords during his solo (m3-2-4-1-repeat).  Sure they're not truly power chords, but even these he takes at a fast arpeggio, first up then down, and it's a thing that a lot of other guitarists probably would have just hit the strings all together.  He really is special in subtle ways, on top of kicking butt when he wants to.

Great comments!  Hackett's guitar-playing fits into the context of the group....."power chords" are played on the Hammond organ or Mellotron by Tony Banks, or occasionally, as barre chords by Rutherford on 12 string, etc.    

Hackett approaches the guitar very much like a cello/viola, using single notes or combinations of notes.  He never seeks to overwhelm, unlike more bombastic chordal players like Bob Fripp!  

I always found his approach to be very sophisticated and never really missed the power-chord aspect.  Their music doesn't really need it.   However, if you ask him nicely, I'm sure he'll play some power chords for you!  

You can be sure i will ask him a personal version of Smoke on The Water Wink
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 15:44

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 14:59

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 14:40
As many have said, me included, it doesn't matter if he has or not, but I did find what I consider to be another example of a power chord from the esteemed Mr. Hackett. Near the end of Fountain of Salmacis, just before the main keyboard riff returns for the last time, there is a crescendo and Hackett clearly strums a full distorted chord there!
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 23:17
I fail to see why 'power chords' are necessary for someone to be labeled as a rock guitarist.

I mean, Mark Knopfler is certainly a rock musician (and he did much more than 'Money For Nothing').
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 00:20
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

There were some power chords on GTR----Jeckel and Hyde--for example

Yeah, and I think he played some on "Voyage of the Acolyte".  I saw him live during that era, he was doing all sorts of things to his guitar!  

He can and does use "power chords," but they are not a huge part of his sound, which is not surprising since he floats his leads in and around the lush keyboards and driving bass lines.  

Now, if you want power chords, seek out Robert Fripp!!  "Larks Tongues In Aspic Part Two" defined the power chord!!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 21:40
There were some power chords on GTR----Jeckel and Hyde--for example
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 21:30

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

"Dancing With the Moonlit Knight"

"Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout."

Tell me the following riffing isn't a power chord.

It seems to be Rutherford playing bar chords on his electric 12-string:

In that video that's certainly Rutherford playing bar chords/power chords on the 12-string neck.

But I was searching Rutherford and Baritone Guitar together, and found this under the wikipedia entry:

"Mike Rutherford had a custom double neck back in 1974 consisting of a rickenbacker 12 string guitar and a baritone guitar made by micro-frets. He used the baritone guitar as a bass most of the time, playing occasionnaly higher octave parts in songs such as back in n.y.c.. Another double neck model (12 string/baritone guitar) was made for him for the next album and tour, trick of the tail, in 1976, by the master luthier Dick Knight."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

If this is true, and it follows that he didn't have a Bari before 1974, then that cannot have been one on the album Selling England.

Ok, done with being off topic (sorry!).

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 19:16
anyone ever heard the band Hackett was in before Genesis, Quiet World, album The Road from 1970 ?   I haven't, but he may have been more rock-chord oriented back then (the album features him on both a & e guitars)

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 18:57
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

"Dancing With the Moonlit Knight"

"Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout."

Tell me the following riffing isn't a power chord.

It seems to be Rutherford playing bar chords on his electric 12-string:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>