Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Current 93
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current 93

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current 93
    Posted: May 20 2011 at 22:58
I've been putting off reviewing and posting and such here for awhile so since school finally ended(I'm a junior going to senior) i've got some time to do some things here.
 
I know they have been suggested before but, to me at least, they are at the least prog related.
 
 
This is also the first of many band suggestions so i hope there isnt a limit to how many bands you can suggestTongue
Back to Top
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site and Forum Admin

Joined: June 04 2010
Location: Terria
Status: Offline
Points: 12511
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 16:00
Go ahead and make as many suggestions, just make sure they're prog. I'm checking out this band right now.
Formerly Andyman1125

Back to Top
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site and Forum Admin

Joined: June 04 2010
Location: Terria
Status: Offline
Points: 12511
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 16:04
I can't hear any explicit prog, and I don't know how much of an influence they had over the progressive world, so I'm not sure how far this will go. You will need to get the support of a Special Collaborator for this band to get through the admins and be passed as prog-related, if that is the path you wish to take.
Formerly Andyman1125

Back to Top
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Metal Team

Joined: September 01 2009
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 4151
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 16:36

post-punk isn't prog, good luck finding one progger who lived through the 80s thinking otherwise.
Back to Top
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Folk Researcher

Joined: August 17 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4132
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 18:07

I'm a progger who lived through the 80s (and the 70s for that matter).  I don't necessarily think all post-punk is progressive, but I'm also not sure Current 93 is post-punk, at least not most of what they did from about 'Swastikas for Noddy' and later.  I think I could even make an argument for Prog Folk, although something like Post Rock or possibly avant-Prog might work better.

David Tibet himself coined the label 'apocalyptic folk' for Current 93's sound.  He has acknowledged the influence of the Incredible String Band on the way he thinks about creating music (check out 'Earth Covers Earth', and not just the cover art).  He is known to be friends with Shirley Collins and brought her out of a 15 year recluse to appear on 'Thunder Perfect Mind'.  And the band incorporates some very unusual and complex acoustic arrangements in their music, especially their later work.

I'm actually okay with proposing them to the Prog Folk team and since I'm one-third of that team they have at least one vote already.  Thanks for the suggestion! Thumbs Up


"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor, starving kids all over the world I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

Mariah Carey
Back to Top
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Metal Team

Joined: September 01 2009
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 4151
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 01:58

"apocalyptic folk", ok I see, the Dead Can Dance and Wovenhand kind, I'll have to listen to that later stuff then.
oh, and post-punk is definitely progressive, i meant to say it's not Prog Wink
Back to Top
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 06 2004
Location: France
Status: Offline
Points: 7941
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 06:34

If you take into account their whole discography, you can hear indus, ambient, dark/gothic folk. But not prog Confused

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 10:55
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

Go ahead and make as many suggestions, just make sure they're prog. I'm checking out this band right now.
 
Okay, thanks.
Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I'm a progger who lived through the 80s (and the 70s for that matter).  I don't necessarily think all post-punk is progressive, but I'm also not sure Current 93 is post-punk, at least not most of what they did from about 'Swastikas for Noddy' and later.  I think I could even make an argument for Prog Folk, although something like Post Rock or possibly avant-Prog might work better.

David Tibet himself coined the label 'apocalyptic folk' for Current 93's sound.  He has acknowledged the influence of the Incredible String Band on the way he thinks about creating music (check out 'Earth Covers Earth', and not just the cover art).  He is known to be friends with Shirley Collins and brought her out of a 15 year recluse to appear on 'Thunder Perfect Mind'.  And the band incorporates some very unusual and complex acoustic arrangements in their music, especially their later work.

I'm actually okay with proposing them to the Prog Folk team and since I'm one-third of that team they have at least one vote already.  Thanks for the suggestion! Thumbs Up


 
Okay that would be great.
Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:10
Oh and, can i get a link to that thread with bands that have just recently been added. I came across it but I can't find it now...Confused
Back to Top
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Metal Team

Joined: September 01 2009
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 4151
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 12:29
Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 12:37
Yes, thanks
Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 19:36

Making any headway?

Back to Top
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site and Forum Admin

Joined: June 04 2010
Location: Terria
Status: Offline
Points: 12511
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 00:30
It's being discussed right now, but it doesn't seem like they will stand a chance.
Formerly Andyman1125

Back to Top
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Folk Researcher

Joined: August 17 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4132
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 15:45
Took a while but Current 93 have finally been added.
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor, starving kids all over the world I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

Mariah Carey
Back to Top
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 19 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 7655
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 16:52
^ Thanks Bob (you had a LOT of albums to addWink) Might it be worthwhile adding the following to the band's bio with a view to letting some of the more 'sensitive souls' in our midst know the sorts of subject matter and themes Current 93 cover?:

Founder member David Tibet has been the only constant presence in the band since their inception and his lyrical themes and subject matter encompass a wide variety of esoteric interests including: Christian eschatology, Aleister Crowley (from whom he took the band's name), Christian mysticism, Tibetan Buddhism, the iconography of the swastika and various occult left hand path traditions.


It's no big deal if it ain't included but having listened to some of their more 'out there' stuff over the years, I think folks would appreciate knowing what they're letting themselves in for.


Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Progressive Electronic Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2130
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 22:47
HeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbanger. Now I have to get my reviews that I've been meaning to write for TG and Volcano The Bear so I can start on this band.
Back to Top
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Folk Researcher

Joined: August 17 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4132
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 07:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Thanks Bob (you had a LOT of albums to addWink) Might it be worthwhile adding the following to the band's bio with a view to letting some of the more 'sensitive souls' in our midst know the sorts of subject matter and themes Current 93 cover?:

Founder member David Tibet has been the only constant presence in the band since their inception and his lyrical themes and subject matter encompass a wide variety of esoteric interests including: Christian eschatology, Aleister Crowley (from whom he took the band's name), Christian mysticism, Tibetan Buddhism, the iconography of the swastika and various occult left hand path traditions.


It's no big deal if it ain't included but having listened to some of their more 'out there' stuff over the years, I think folks would appreciate knowing what they're letting themselves in for.


 
Good idea.  I used your quote above and gave you co-credit on the bio.  Personally I'm not a very big fan of Mr. Tibet but it's hard to deny his progginess and his influence on a whole lot of neofolk and apocalyptic folk bands.
 
"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor, starving kids all over the world I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

Mariah Carey
Back to Top
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 19 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 7655
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 07:55
^ Kudos Bob. They certainly tick most of the boxes 'Prog wise' are are clearly influential.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.180 seconds.