Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCurrent 93

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current 93
    Posted: May 20 2011 at 22:58
I've been putting off reviewing and posting and such here for awhile so since school finally ended(I'm a junior going to senior) i've got some time to do some things here.

I know they have been suggested before but, to me at least, they are at the least prog related.

This is also the first of many band suggestions so i hope there isnt a limit to how many bands you can suggestTongue
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 16:00
Go ahead and make as many suggestions, just make sure they're prog. I'm checking out this band right now.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 16:04
I can't hear any explicit prog, and I don't know how much of an influence they had over the progressive world, so I'm not sure how far this will go. You will need to get the support of a Special Collaborator for this band to get through the admins and be passed as prog-related, if that is the path you wish to take.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 16:36

post-punk isn't prog, good luck finding one progger who lived through the 80s thinking otherwise.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 18:07

I'm a progger who lived through the 80s (and the 70s for that matter).  I don't necessarily think all post-punk is progressive, but I'm also not sure Current 93 is post-punk, at least not most of what they did from about 'Swastikas for Noddy' and later.  I think I could even make an argument for Prog Folk, although something like Post Rock or possibly avant-Prog might work better.

David Tibet himself coined the label 'apocalyptic folk' for Current 93's sound.  He has acknowledged the influence of the Incredible String Band on the way he thinks about creating music (check out 'Earth Covers Earth', and not just the cover art).  He is known to be friends with Shirley Collins and brought her out of a 15 year recluse to appear on 'Thunder Perfect Mind'.  And the band incorporates some very unusual and complex acoustic arrangements in their music, especially their later work.

I'm actually okay with proposing them to the Prog Folk team and since I'm one-third of that team they have at least one vote already.  Thanks for the suggestion! Thumbs Up

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 01:58

"apocalyptic folk", ok I see, the Dead Can Dance and Wovenhand kind, I'll have to listen to that later stuff then.
oh, and post-punk is definitely progressive, i meant to say it's not Prog Wink
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 06:34

If you take into account their whole discography, you can hear indus, ambient, dark/gothic folk. But not prog Confused

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 10:55
Originally posted by Andyman1125 Andyman1125 wrote:

Go ahead and make as many suggestions, just make sure they're prog. I'm checking out this band right now.

Okay, thanks.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I'm a progger who lived through the 80s (and the 70s for that matter).  I don't necessarily think all post-punk is progressive, but I'm also not sure Current 93 is post-punk, at least not most of what they did from about 'Swastikas for Noddy' and later.  I think I could even make an argument for Prog Folk, although something like Post Rock or possibly avant-Prog might work better.

David Tibet himself coined the label 'apocalyptic folk' for Current 93's sound.  He has acknowledged the influence of the Incredible String Band on the way he thinks about creating music (check out 'Earth Covers Earth', and not just the cover art).  He is known to be friends with Shirley Collins and brought her out of a 15 year recluse to appear on 'Thunder Perfect Mind'.  And the band incorporates some very unusual and complex acoustic arrangements in their music, especially their later work.

I'm actually okay with proposing them to the Prog Folk team and since I'm one-third of that team they have at least one vote already.  Thanks for the suggestion! Thumbs Up

Okay that would be great.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:10
Oh and, can i get a link to that thread with bands that have just recently been added. I came across it but I can't find it now...Confused
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 12:29
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 12:37
Yes, thanks
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 19:36

Making any headway?

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 00:30
It's being discussed right now, but it doesn't seem like they will stand a chance.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 15:45
Took a while but Current 93 have finally been added.

Albert Camus
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 16:52
^ Thanks Bob (you had a LOT of albums to addWink) Might it be worthwhile adding the following to the band's bio with a view to letting some of the more 'sensitive souls' in our midst know the sorts of subject matter and themes Current 93 cover?:

Founder member David Tibet has been the only constant presence in the band since their inception and his lyrical themes and subject matter encompass a wide variety of esoteric interests including: Christian eschatology, Aleister Crowley (from whom he took the band's name), Christian mysticism, Tibetan Buddhism, the iconography of the swastika and various occult left hand path traditions.

It's no big deal if it ain't included but having listened to some of their more 'out there' stuff over the years, I think folks would appreciate knowing what they're letting themselves in for.

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 22:47
HeadbangerHeadbangerHeadbanger. Now I have to get my reviews that I've been meaning to write for TG and Volcano The Bear so I can start on this band.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 07:10
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ Thanks Bob (you had a LOT of albums to addWink) Might it be worthwhile adding the following to the band's bio with a view to letting some of the more 'sensitive souls' in our midst know the sorts of subject matter and themes Current 93 cover?:

Founder member David Tibet has been the only constant presence in the band since their inception and his lyrical themes and subject matter encompass a wide variety of esoteric interests including: Christian eschatology, Aleister Crowley (from whom he took the band's name), Christian mysticism, Tibetan Buddhism, the iconography of the swastika and various occult left hand path traditions.

It's no big deal if it ain't included but having listened to some of their more 'out there' stuff over the years, I think folks would appreciate knowing what they're letting themselves in for.

Good idea.  I used your quote above and gave you co-credit on the bio.  Personally I'm not a very big fan of Mr. Tibet but it's hard to deny his progginess and his influence on a whole lot of neofolk and apocalyptic folk bands.

Albert Camus
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 07:55
^ Kudos Bob. They certainly tick most of the boxes 'Prog wise' are are clearly influential.
 Post Reply Post Reply