Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScottish Prog Special, Glasgow (Credo etc.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scottish Prog Special, Glasgow (Credo etc.)
    Posted: May 22 2011 at 14:51

The Ferry in Glasgow, 20 May 2011 was a special night. A triple bill of prog bands appeared, two of whom were indigenous and the third boasting two Scotsmen in the line up.

First up were COMEDY OF ERRORS, playing their first gig in 20 years. While the hair may have shortened (or disappeared!) and the attire admirably sober, it was as if they had never been away. The band played with an assuredness and togetherness which totally belied the extended lay off. Former Abel Ganz keyboardist Hew Montgomery helped out the core trio on bass, and Bruce Levick (I think!) on drums.

The set list focused on the band's brand new album (Disobey) released the same day. Initial impressions are that this is a truly impressive new release by the band.

It was obvious from the outset that the guys were really enjoying the opportunity to play together again. Hopefully, this is the start of a highly fruitful and successful new era for COMEDY OF ERRORS.

Next on stage were ABEL GANZ. I had enjoyed the privilege of seeing them in acoustic mode supporting Pendragon, but this was the fist time I had seen them in their full prog format. Frontman “Mick” MacFarlane has settled in to the line up well, being a relative newcomer. Guitarist Davie Mitchell does a passable impression of Mick Box (Uriah Heep), particularly when seated with acoustic guitar. With no product to promote, the set was made up of a good cross section of the band's fine catalogue.

Headlining the evening were CREDO. With a remarkable new album “Against reason” just out, the set consisted of a number of tracks from that release, plus a good number from the previous “Rhetoric” album. Lead singer Mark Colton, now thankfully through some major health issues, brought both passion and humour to the evening. The soaring synths and keyboards tsunamis of Mike Varty and the incredible lead guitar dexterity of Tim Birrell combined to create a truly superb atmosphere.

Those who have not had to the opportunity to see Credo play live would be well advised to pick up a copy of their “This is what we do” DVD, which includes the last performance of the “Rhetoric” album in its entirety.

For such a wonderful night (it lasted for around 4 hours in all), it was a pity the local prog fraternity did not turn out in greater numbers. It was good though to see various members of the bands enjoying the performances when not on stage themselves.
fuzzyscot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 01:24
thanks for the reveiw,would have loved to be there,but could not get back over the pond for the gig.
i knew comedy of errors would have rocked the place as the reinvention has been overdue for a while
cant wait to get a copy of the cd. 
Credo Man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 03:13
It was a great night, and CREDO really enjoyed themselves, Abel Ganz were brilliant, really enjoyed their set, and Comedy Of Errors were something special, well done guys.

Credo would like to thank all of the guys that turned up, all in all, a good turn out and happy punters, promters and band, you cant ask for more really!

Much Love

Mark (CREDO)
Credo Against Reason
Now Available
www.credo.gb.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 03:32
Four hours?  Even if I were 20 I'd have been nodding off by the third band.. you're a better man than I, Bob.  But then as I've said many times; if it's not Scottish, it's crap.  So I can't blame you.

brido View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 03:35
I saw Abel Ganz the following night at the Electric Garden Progressive Rock Festival the night after the gig on The Ferry.
They put on an excellent show, but The Tangent were rightly the headliners of the festival. What a fantastic band. The Festival is well worth a visit next year.
jillile View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:18
Hi Easy Livin,
It was great to get to meet you......
Fantastic evening.  Really enjoyed all the bands. 
I thought that Comedy of Errors were excellent, especially after a 20 year break......and I love their new album......it hasn't been out of the CD player since Saturday....!
Credo as always were brilliant........each time they play their music is getting stronger and stronger and more virtuoso.They are fantastic musicians...and Mark.........Well, Stand Up Prog!  Brilliant!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 13:05
Indeed Jillile, haste ye back!!Clap
Graeme B View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 08:23
It was a great evening, Comedy of Errors were superb, as were Abel Ganz and Credo - excellent stuff from all the bands.

Some photos online here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Graeme-Brown-Music-Photography-Video/218731471484779?sk=wall

Really enjoying CoE's new album 'Disobey', well worth the tenner it costs from http://comedyoferrors.org/
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 09:03
Great photos Graeme, thanks for sharing!
 Post Reply Post Reply