Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Benoit David the best Yes could do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:19

I agree that Steve Carney is amazing, a great "Jon" but also has a soul of his own.......... I'm not familiar with any other Yes mimics though.

Maybe we should wait 'til the new album before we judge Benoit........ he may be inferior to Jon but there can be no comparison on the new songs; they will belong to him, vocally.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:26
Begs the question could Genesis have done better than Ray Wilson??

I have been on the fence with buying tickets for the Yes/Styx show myself, for this reason. And also no Dennis DeYoung.......Only reason I would go is for the venue which is at a winery on the Columbia River....absolutely amazing venue.....and the wine is good too!

I probably will not go..but still on the fence. I have to say the only group comes to mind recently that did an amazing job at finding a replacement lead vocalist was Journey, that Filipino guy is amazing!! If you close your eyes.....its Steve Perry.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 15:49
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I agree that Steve Carney is amazing, a great "Jon" but also has a soul of his own.......... I'm not familiar with any other Yes mimics though.

Maybe we should wait 'til the new album before we judge Benoit........ he may be inferior to Jon but there can be no comparison on the new songs; they will belong to him, vocally.

Excellent, thank you!  I agree, the proof will be in the new CD.  However, I think Yes really has only one shot at keeping fans they alienated with their treatment of Anderson (i.e. me), so it better be a blazingly good CD!   And I have to wonder, who is writing the lyrics?  The track titles don't inspire confidence thus far.  

Dorset, eh?  I used to live & work in Devon, just outside of Exeter....my work associate, Mr. Crawley, did my dirty work and found Bob and Toyah Fripp's home phone number in Wimbourne!  

I left a message, they never called me back!! LOL
(I'd met with RF several times, he probably thought I was a stalker or bill collector).

Here's a nice taste of Steve Carney with Fragile!  Love these guys, we've been friends for 10 years.  Considering all the joint appearances they've done with members of Yes, I'm surprised they weren't approached (unless they were, and Steve turned them down).

Edited by cstack3 - May 23 2011 at 15:50
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 16:10

Despite living some 10 miles away from Fripp (well, not since he moved).... my only contact with him has been through the internet; he had a go at me for insulting him on this very site actually!

I have relatives who supposedly dated Greg Lake, who went to my school......... LOL King Crimson members really are Dorset's only connection to the world of Prog.

Anyway back on topic........ Fragile are a truly excellent group and yes, they have worked with Howe and White haven't they? So Yes must have at least considered them. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 20:40
I too would rather have seen Yes finding an excellent singer who may not have resembled Anderson that much but who had a very strong personality and uniqueness, than an attempted Anderson clone who, in the end, doesn't have the same quality and uniqueness Anderson has. I'm really interested in what Benoit will do on the new studio album, hoping he finds his own identity instead of still trying to imitate Anderson's style (though I guess the final decision on this matter will be Squire's). Indeed, the final judgement shall be taken when the new album is released.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Despite living some 10 miles away from Fripp (well, not since he moved).... my only contact with him has been through the internet; he had a go at me for insulting him on this very site actually!

I have relatives who supposedly dated Greg Lake, who went to my school......... LOL King Crimson members really are Dorset's only connection to the world of Prog.

Anyway back on topic........ Fragile are a truly excellent group and yes, they have worked with Howe and White haven't they? So Yes must have at least considered them. 

Ha, great story about Fripp!  Indeed, he's known to be a bit, well, "touchy"!!  Angry

Fragile have had extensive contact with Yes, and guest appearances by Howe, White, even Peter Banks!  I never asked Steve if he was solicited, it seems almost improper to do so.  I did ask him about what was going on in Yes-ville, and he said that Anderson basically gave the band his blessing, so that's good enough for me.   

So, indeed, Yes has Benoit David, and they will hang on that petard, or prosper by the choice. 

Do you ever get to Exeter?  If so, stop by Hugh Manson's guitar shop, he's the fellow who built my fretless bass (avatar)!  He is Howe's luthier, also builds for JP Jones, Martin Barre & others.  Very nice fellow.  Sorry, also off-topic!  Cheers!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 21:04
I saw Yes with Beniot David last year and he was really good (considering they couldn't get Anderson).  I wish Anderson and Yes would get back together but if Yes (in this configuration) comes back around I'll go see them.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 21:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Funny you should mention that. Originally they were going to get Kevin Gilbert. He performed "The Lamb" at Progfest for his audition, Banks and Rutherford were in attendance. He did such an amazing job that Rutherford and Banks were heading to his hotel room to tell him personally that he got the gig, but unfortunately he autoerotic-axphyxiated himself just hours before. A tragic story.

Fantastic performance though. Makes you think about what might have been.

Edited by Harry Hood - May 23 2011 at 21:54
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 13:00
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Funny you should mention that. Originally they were going to get Kevin Gilbert. He performed "The Lamb" at Progfest for his audition, Banks and Rutherford were in attendance. He did such an amazing job that Rutherford and Banks were heading to his hotel room to tell him personally that he got the gig, but unfortunately he autoerotic-axphyxiated himself just hours before. A tragic story.

I agree, fantastic!  Thanks for posting that!  
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 13:02
What is more boring than watching Jon Anderson on his acoustic tour?Dead I prefer to hear Benoit David with a full band on a electric mode.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 14:39
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

What is more boring than watching Jon Anderson on his acoustic tour?Dead I prefer to hear Benoit David with a full band on a electric mode.

It's going to be interesting to see how well the new album "Fly From Here!" fares, I presume they are going to launch with a tour?  Have they played any of the new material live?  

Anderson will probably come back with Rabin and Wakeman from what I'm hearing, and I can see them doing large sections of "Olias."  That will be worth waiting for.   I have a limited concert budget and am looking forward to Return To Forever with Jean Luc Ponty!  That trumps Benoit-Yes in my book.

I'll let you know how the acoustic show is, from what I've seen, it's quite amazing.  Yes never did perform any of Olias or other solo works by the members to my knowledge.  
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 15:02
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally they were going to get Kevin Gilbert. He performed "The Lamb" at Progfest for his audition, Banks and Rutherford were in attendance. He did such an amazing job that Rutherford and Banks were heading to his hotel room to tell him personally that he got the gig, but unfortunately he autoerotic-axphyxiated himself just hours before. A tragic story.

Cry This tragic tale always makes me choke up a bit...

Edited by Man Overboard - May 24 2011 at 15:02
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 15:35
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Why are people still posting when the discussion is over?

Well, because i Guess because it's not over. The best Yes cover version band was Parallells with the chick.  I think Squire is really clutchig at straws. i wouldn't pay a red cent to see them these days.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 17:56
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Why are people still posting when the discussion is over?

Well, because i Guess because it's not over. The best Yes cover version band was Parallells with the chick.  I think Squire is really clutchig at straws. i wouldn't pay a red cent to see them these days.

There's a lot of this "battle of the bands" going on in Prog right now!   Many bands are trying to figure out a formula to re-form and capture some of their past magic. 

My friends in Starcastle gave it a shot a few years ago, including some new material featuring Ollie Wakeman and Annie Haslem and an appearance at ROSFEST in 2006.  They still announce a new CD to be released.

However, they didn't have anything acrimonious as Yes is going through!  Starcastle has struggled to replace former key personnel including Herb Schildt and Gary Strater.  I don't think any of the founders are with this present incarnation. 

Flash is another band going through the reunion turmoil....Ray Bennett tells me he's finishing their new CD, and based on the new tunes & revamped classics that have appeared on Youtube and other websites, I think it will be a good one.  However, they had a rough patch in trying to reunite with Peter Banks, and in the end, it didn't work.  

You folks can probably think of many more of these evolving stories....Ollie Wakeman is first with Yes, then with the Strawbs, then his own band, etc.  Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson and Trevor Rabin may/may not form a new group (who would be bassist & drummer?  THAT would be exciting to watch!).   However, I gather that most of us are a bit tired of the old classics over & over live and wouldn't mind some new songs.  

Let's hope for a decent Yes album, it's long overdue. 
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 16:22
When I saw Yes with Benoit David two summers ago in Seattle, I was spellbound.  There was more energy and love in the songs than the previous two times I saw Yes, on the Union and Talk tours.  It was like the band believed in their music again.

Benoit David has exactly the right stage presence for Yes - gentle, positive, even joyful.  His voice is beautiful, and he made me think of Yes as a real band instead of a geezer show.

I so hope that the new album realizes the potential of the current Yes lineup.  They deserve to make some worthy music.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 16:27
If a band carries on after its prime, be it Yes or any other band, can the continued existence of this band then really tarnish its past achievements? Does its mere existence then offend as drastically, as many replies in this thread seem to suggest?

Just as you can skip tracks on an album, you can also ignore a band's output beyond your personal cut-off point. Anybody's choice. It's interesting to talk about a band's devolution and regret that development, of course, but I find the strength of feeling towards Yes by some participants here slightly astounding.

I do have the impression that many people here are taking the continued existence of Yes strangely personally.

If Chris Squire for instance carried on making albums under another band name, why would that be acceptable, compared with him carrying on as a member of Yes, if it were essentially the same music? Just because it would be easier to ignore? There seem to be some interesting psychological currents apparent here.

Edited by npjnpj - May 25 2011 at 23:12
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 00:35
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

If a band carries on after its prime, be it Yes or any other band, can the continued existence of this band then really tarnish its past achievements? Does its mere existence then offend as drastically, as many replies in this thread seem to suggest?

Just as you can skip tracks on an album, you can also ignore a band's output beyond your personal cut-off point. Anybody's choice. It's interesting to talk about a band's devolution and regret that development, of course, but I find the strength of feeling towards Yes by some participants here slightly astounding.

I do have the impression that many people here are taking the continued existence of Yes strangely personally.

If Chris Squire for instance carried on making albums under another band name, why would that be acceptable, compared with him carrying on as a member of Yes, if it were essentially the same music? Just because it would be easier to ignore? There seem to be some interesting psychological currents apparent here.

Apparently, we fans are not the only ones with psychological currents!  Here's a new interview with HRH Rick Wakeman that was just posted on Notes From The Edge on Facebook:

Many are going to compare this project to Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe and see it as a response to Yes, which continues without your involvement or that of Anderson. How do you feel about that?

Everyone’s got their own view on what’s happening. Personally, I can’t ever understand how there can be a Yes without Jon singing. That’s my blunt take. Can you imagine Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant or The Who without Roger Daltrey? The voice is the most standout thing about any band. There are certain bands for which it is just impossible to replace that voice. For me, there isn’t a Yes unless Jon is singing and that will always be my perspective on things.

To me, the Yes sound is all about the musicians and whatever they’re doing. Certainly Chris Squire and Steve Howe are very important, but the vocal sound of Yes is a major part of what makes it Yes. My own view is it’s great that the guys are going to carry on, but I thought they could play some Yes stuff, go off in a different direction, use a different name, and create something new. They could still do some Yes stuff and that would be absolutely fine.

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wakeman.html

Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 08:18
Trying to replace Jon Anderson is a crime in itself. It breaks my heart that he's not still in the band, considering he's pretty much the heart of Yes.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 08:45
Again , the same little battle for a NAME, three letters : YES  Is Wakeman afraid to loose his reputation? I think he as a big EGO thinking that him and Jon are the heart of Yes. Yes is more that this 2 members. Unhappy

Edited by rdtprog - June 06 2011 at 09:17
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 08:54
I've said it before...David did a superb job at the show I saw. He sang his part and then let the veteran members hold the spotlight.

How that will translate to album we'll see. Let the thing come out and we can judge then.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>