Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Benoit David the best Yes could do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 19:58
First of all, I must say I don't really think Squire, Howe, White should stop calling themselves Yes if they have the legal rights and want to do so, as long as they don't release the album or tour saying Anderson is with them when he actually isn't, which they haven't done. Whether we like what they are doing and how they call themselves is our own problem and we have to deal with it.

On the other hand, I too have seen Yes with Benoit (and sadly, not with Anderson), and I think they did a good job, and Benoit was OK... however, though he was a very good replacement, he is not Jon Anderson, and lacks that one special touch Anderson has, which makes a huge difference in the end; and he did look somewhat weird, like out of place in the stage with Yes (though certainly he did look like he was having a lot of fun). I'm rather interested in seing what he will do when stamping his personal touch in new songs. Still, I would rather they had looked for some other talented singer without trying to find an Anderson impersonator, because in the end the odds (and the actual result) is that he will be a dissapointment (hardly anyone will ever replace Anderson). The Haslam sugestion would have been a very nice thing to see, though I guess that's just a dream, I bet we will more likeley see Anderson back on Yes than Haslam.

Also, about 90125, if they wanted to call it Yes that was their choice, and I'm sure commercially it was a very successful choice, first it allowed them to get some attention more easily, and then lot's of people who got to know Yes because of the new songs must have looked for their earlier albums and become a Yes fan, I'm sure more than one person here in PA got to know Yes that way, perhaps even prog in general. So keeping the name Yes for 90125 helped them to sell more of the new album, as well as to sell more of their older albums.
As for the Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin project, I'm at least as excited about it as I am about the actual Yes album (perhaps even more), and I really hope it comes to happen. If they choose to do it as a full prog album, and Wakeman decides to take a more active role in the songwriting than he usually does on Yes albums, I'm sure it could be great; many of Wakeman's albums are just about as good as the best Yes albums, and in the last decade he release 3 brilliant albums (Out there would be the best for me, and both Retro albums had some really good songs included).

So, in the end, I just hope both Yes, and Anderson, Wakmeman, Rabin release some really great material this year. I'll have to wait to judge.
tux View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 20:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

he did look somewhat weird, like out of place in the stage with Yes (though certainly he did look like he was having a lot of fun).

That might be because he's a couple of decades younger that the other Yes members. David and Squire look like grandfather and grandson, lol. Wink
But I wouldn't take that into consideration when rating his performance...
I am the passenger; I ride and I ride ...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 00:38
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

First of all, I must say I don't really think Squire, Howe, White should stop calling themselves Yes if they have the legal rights and want to do so, as long as they don't release the album or tour saying Anderson is with them when he actually isn't, which they haven't done. Whether we like what they are doing and how they call themselves is our own problem and we have to deal with it.

On the other hand, I too have seen Yes with Benoit (and sadly, not with Anderson), and I think they did a good job, and Benoit was OK... however, though he was a very good replacement, he is not Jon Anderson, and lacks that one special touch Anderson has, which makes a huge difference in the end; and he did look somewhat weird, like out of place in the stage with Yes (though certainly he did look like he was having a lot of fun). I'm rather interested in seing what he will do when stamping his personal touch in new songs. Still, I would rather they had looked for some other talented singer without trying to find an Anderson impersonator, because in the end the odds (and the actual result) is that he will be a dissapointment (hardly anyone will ever replace Anderson). The Haslam sugestion would have been a very nice thing to see, though I guess that's just a dream, I bet we will more likeley see Anderson back on Yes than Haslam.

Also, about 90125, if they wanted to call it Yes that was their choice, and I'm sure commercially it was a very successful choice, first it allowed them to get some attention more easily, and then lot's of people who got to know Yes because of the new songs must have looked for their earlier albums and become a Yes fan, I'm sure more than one person here in PA got to know Yes that way, perhaps even prog in general. So keeping the name Yes for 90125 helped them to sell more of the new album, as well as to sell more of their older albums.
As for the Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin project, I'm at least as excited about it as I am about the actual Yes album (perhaps even more), and I really hope it comes to happen. If they choose to do it as a full prog album, and Wakeman decides to take a more active role in the songwriting than he usually does on Yes albums, I'm sure it could be great; many of Wakeman's albums are just about as good as the best Yes albums, and in the last decade he release 3 brilliant albums (Out there would be the best for me, and both Retro albums had some really good songs included).

So, in the end, I just hope both Yes, and Anderson, Wakmeman, Rabin release some really great material this year. I'll have to wait to judge.

Thank you, wonderful post!   I'm fortunate....my first Yes concert was their CTTE tour, in 1972, just after Bruford left the band!   I didn't get to see TFTO because they cancelled the show at my university due to the fuel embargo (GRRR!), but saw Relayer tour twice, Going for the One, Yes in the round several times, Reunion Tour, and most recently, the 35th Anniversary tour, where I had an after-show backstage pass & got to speak with all of the guys!!  

I just love Anderson's energy, spirit, and stage presence!  He strolled around the venue on the 35th Anniversary tour, singing with a wireless mike, it was magical!   The band had such a good vibe and got along so well that I was very surprised when Yes moved on and left Jon, Rick and Ollie behind.  

I don't know what to make of it all, except that the remaining members of Yes have bills to pay & Anderson's inability to tour was hurting them financially.  I just wish they had done something more creative (progressive?) than bringing on a tribute-band singer that they found on YouTube!!  EVERYBODY is doing that!  Journey, Boston, etc.!!!   

I'll admit that Benoit David did a great job covering classic Yes tunes, but his stage presence (from what I've seen on YouTube) just isnt' the same magical presence of Anderson.  Yes could have done better.  Meanwhile, Anderson and Wakeman are gearing up to return, so we have to ask....will the market tolerate TWO bands playing the same material??

I'm seeing evidence that Wakeman and Anderson will reprise some of "Olias of Sunhillow" in concert, which would be magical!   Those two are charting a very creative and progressive path together, and I wish them the best.   I hold no ill will to the remnants of Yes, but the group that is touring is a shell of the group I've known for years.  

ˇVaya con Dios!  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 13:56
I'm jealous, I whish I could have seen all those concerts, however, I wasn't born by the time they did all their classics, and I only got to know Yes until after 2000... perhaps a year too late to see the last tour by the classic lineup (I guess they were on tour while I was discovering their music, didn't get time to learn about the time and knowing that I needed to attend to the concert). However, if I get to see Anderson and Wakeman I'll be glad enough (though it may be a bit difficult for them to choose Mexico to come to perform). I have already seen Yes with Benoit and Oliver, as well as Wakeman performing Six Wives at Hampton Court... now I only need to see Anderson too... if it is with Wakeman it will be all the better... and last, I'm still wishing for Wakeman to make up his mind and do King Arthur on ice here in Mexico (some years ago he said he actually wanted to do that, though I guess that has come to nothing).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234