Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rush vs Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Poll Question: Which band do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [49.50%]
51 [50.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush vs Led Zeppelin
    Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:56
Originally posted by HolyMoly

Actually, the band is called Spirit and the song is called Taurus, in case that hasn't been settled.
So I wasn't hallucinating.
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:57
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112

to me that's their problem and why I don't really like them

they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed
It's a fair criticism

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:58
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

Actually, the band is called Spirit and the song is called Taurus, in case that hasn't been settled.
Not that I'm aware of, no.  
My other avatar is a Porsche / RARE GOAT bandcamp page

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
-Kehlog Albran
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Post/Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:59
Rush is still superior by so many standards for me. They're the reason i'm on this forum, becoming a more serious drummer, and just have a passion for music in general. 

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:00
Originally posted by Horizons

Rush is still superior by so many standards for me. They're the reason i'm on this forum, becoming a more serious drummer, and just have a passion for music in general. 

I like Rush way more but in all reality it's in the eye of the beholder
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:02

I f***** upLOLLOL but you know what I meant
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:13
^ Monica: Joey, we always know what you mean.

I like Rush way more but in all reality it's in the Eye of the Beholder.
Off the topic: That's perhaps the only track I like from that Metallica album.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 16 2013 at 22:15
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:33
Originally posted by Atavachron

I have little doubt up about half of Zep's material was influenced by or even taken from other artists, I hear bits from other sources all the time in their stuff that no one has even noticed.   Page and Jones were studio musicians and made a living playing other people's music for years.  

But the thing is, I hear lifts in Pink Floyd's music too (often from smaller British bands of the 60s).   Few would disagree, including me, that Floyd were one of the most original acts in rock but that doesn't mean they were immune from influence or even borrowing something.   Many artists are guilty of this.   Zeppelin's problem was aggravated by several things;  they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed.   Also they didn't well conceal their theft like others did--  the best way to steal music is to make the song your own enough so that no one notices.   The Beatles did it well.

Originally posted by Buddy Guy

Good musicians borrow, great musicians steal.

In blood, he's writing the lyrics of a brand new tune.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 00:57

^ Monica: Joey, we always know what you mean.

I like Rush way more but in all reality it's in the Eye of the Beholder.
Off the topic: That's perhaps the only track I like from that Metallica album.

On the contrary I find other songs on that album better for example The Frayed Ends of Sanity and One(of course) but you're entitled tooWink
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote HarbouringTheSoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 00:59
Actually, that is an Oscar Wilde quote and it goes: "Talent borrows, genius steals."

As for the Stairway vs. Taurus thing: So the chord sequences in the beginning are similar. Big deal. That doesn't make "Stairway to Heaven" any less of a great song. I agree that not crediting the old blues masters on their first album was very bad judgment on their part, but in this case I would chalk it up to subconscious inspiration.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 01:15
 ^ Or tribute
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 07:20
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul

Actually, that is an Oscar Wilde quote and it goes: "Talent borrows, genius steals."

As for the Stairway vs. Taurus thing: So the chord sequences in the beginning are similar. Big deal. That doesn't make "Stairway to Heaven" any less of a great song. I agree that not crediting the old blues masters on their first album was very bad judgment on their part, but in this case I would chalk it up to subconscious inspiration.
By the way, Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit on their first US tour in 1969, so that tightens the possible connection between the two songs.  I totally agree (as I posted earlier) that the overall similarity between the two songs is minor at best, though.
My other avatar is a Porsche / RARE GOAT bandcamp page

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
-Kehlog Albran
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 20:52
Rush, out of a bias toward Prog, but with all due respect to Zeppelin.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote MonsterMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 07:12
LED ZEPPELIN, the best hard rock band ever!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678