Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Poll Question: Which band do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
63 [47.73%]
69 [52.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 09:24
Zep
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 10:25
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Almost 8 years later and the mighty Zep are still on top.....'Hammer Of The Gods' indeed.

;)

The issue for me was simple ... by the time that RUSH came about, I was into Pink Floyd, Ange, PFM, Banco, Can, Amon Duul 2, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Gong, Caravan, Ash Ra Tempel (and many others) ... and things like RUSH, no longer had the touch and the beauty to stand up to some of those works mentioned.

It was nothing personal or about the band at all. I actually thought that most of what RUSH was doing, at the time, was just extending what could have been different songs into one long one, on occasion, and of course, a bit later they scored a hit or two ... and that, for me, took the progressive and experimental out for me, and I was done listening ... not that I did not like a few songs here and there, but none of the longer pieces caught my attention anymore.

I will agree with Mosh in this regard. By the time Rush decided to stop being Zeppelin acolytes and turned more to "prog", none of the material they were releasing was really that innovative, considering what I had already heard in the 70s. Rush simply followed a path that had already been walked years before. They found a niche and played a version of power prog that was unique in the 80s simply because every other band from the previous era had moved on or quit. I had also moved on.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 11:17
^I have to disagree. I am not saying Rush is the most innovative progband of seventies, but I think since Fly By Night they really found their own sound and I think it was much more modern than the "powerprog" bands before. And arenīt they predecessors of neoprog?

I have really liked Zeppelin a long and still like, but have to say I think theyīre the most overrated band in rock history, specially when they just have directly stolen so much stuff from others. Dazed & Confused from Jack Holmes, Stairway from Spirit, Whole Lotta Love from Small Faces who took it from Muddy Waters, Nobodyīs Fault from Blind Willie Johnson etc.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 05:07
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Can't we like both ?
I'll never fully understand these duels - my problem surely
(but secretly happy Zep is on the lead hahaha)

That's what we do here, make polls. The most fun are when people do polls that seem like they want to compare apples to steak. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 08:54
Understand the WTFness of the "duel" threads, but they often wring out opinions in favor of or against that may open a reader's eye to an aspect of the music that had previously been overlooked.  Yeah, a lot of them do compare strawberry jam and curry, but, man, there've been some good reads.

Back to topic, ZEP!  Rush were the b*****d child of all things Zep-like and all things Yes-like.....and, yeah, I get that Page lifted a lot of the Zep canon, and that mid-period proggy Rush and the new world 80s Rush may be technically superior, but ZEP!

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 09:04
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I have really liked Zeppelin a long and still like, but have to say I think theyīre the most overrated band in rock history, specially when they just have directly stolen so much stuff from others. Dazed & Confused from Jack Holmes, Stairway from Spirit, Whole Lotta Love from Small Faces who took it from Muddy Waters, Nobodyīs Fault from Blind Willie Johnson etc.

This is grossly unfair ... it was not "stolen" and credits were given for the most part.

it was about an EXPRESSION, and that expression stood out, because so few others were capable of doing it right, and express themselves so well. That this song, or that song was used, is not the issue ... the issue is, was it used in such a way as to show something even more about that song ... and the answer is YES, it was.

You have to take the music history and expression as you would a college course ... you can not judge it ... but what you are saying is that a Leonard Bernstein doing a Vivaldi, has to be crap, and no one could do Stravinsky like Igor himself could! ... and on that venue, you would be extremely incorrect.

LZ was not the only band working and using old material ... the Rolling Stones also did it, and way much more than LZ ever did!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 12:27
^No, they havenīt given any credits to anybody at first place, when they are in court and judge says they have to give the credits, theyīve done it. And there has been situation where the original song makers has lost the cases (for example Spirit). 

Listen these, if you have nerve to say theyīre not direct stealings, I donīt think I have nothing more to say about this to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXbi3pq7Y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

Rolling Stones has never done as outrageous stealings.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 17:10

^No, they havenīt given any credits to anybody at first place, when they are in court and judge says they have to give the credits, theyīve done it. And there has been situation where the original song makers has lost the cases (for example Spirit). 

Listen these, if you have nerve to say theyīre not direct stealings, I donīt think I have nothing more to say about this to you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXbi3pq7Y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

Rolling Stones has never done as outrageous stealings.

Yes they have, the Stones were a blues band and therefore huge thieves.   That's how it works in music, the best thieves are noticed and rewarded.   Hendrix was an enormous thief, and the Beatles "reinterpreted" songs all the time: they practically recycled every American pop and rock 'n roll tune that existed.

As for the Small Faces cut, Willie Dixon's music and sound were being lifted by almost every English rock band around, Zep just did it better and with more skill.   And the Spirit song, the influence is so minimal that it's not worth debating.

Zeppelin advanced the blues by taking it somewhere no one else could take it (especially live).   When Hendrix passed, there was a huge gap in Electric Blues that the Stones and Johnny Winter and Joe Cocker and Eric Clapton couldn't fill.   So Zep stepped in and filled it in a big way.   No one pumped-out the energy and high quality blues/rock like LZ in their concerts and on vinyl.   Further, the band was ripped-off as much or more than anyone in rock history.

Who did Rush take their sound from?   What's that?, I didn't hear you ... ohhh yes, a little band called Led Zeppelin.

Edited by Atavachron - February 03 2018 at 17:13
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 18:16
hahah... oh the Zep thievery topic... again... 

I have my own problems with Zep... like complete massive and total overexposure to pretty much everything they did which severely affects any enjoyment of them today...  no to mention even then Plant's voice could be a much.. still... they deserve ever accolade they get.. nor do they deserve half the sh*t slung at them. 

Edited by micky - February 03 2018 at 18:19
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 21:45
And might I add that Blues is a tradition, it is a platform for expression, and the players have been stealing from each other from the beginning.  That's the point of the music.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 23:55
^Big difference with Zeppelin and those others is that when theyīre playing directly old blues songs, they give the credits to where they belong. Of course itīs mostly trad, because no-one knows who made the originals. I have the original Zeppelin II in my hands and there is said: "Whole Lotta love by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones & John Bonham". "Bring It On Home by Jimmy Page & Robert Plant". I think you guys didnīt listen the clips I put whole through. Plant took much words directly to Marriot and heīs singing really same way (well yes, Small Faces also put song in their names). I just played "Taurus" to my wife who isnīt in music really much at all and ask what song this is, she aswered "isnīt it Stairway to Heaven?". If you donīt hear it, you must be deaf.

Yes, bluesmusicians steal to each others, but they didnīt make millions of others stuff. Also, for example Rolling Stones were the band, who helped old bluesmusicians get more respect. They made gigs with Muddy Waters. So did Johnny Winter & Clapton. I believe Hendrix would have done it also if he would have lived, also he never claimed "Killing Floor" to be his own song, although he really made a own version of it.

Still I am not blaming Zeppelin. Thatīs the way it is in this world, theyīve got one of the greatest manangers that time who rise them into fame. I still like their music even they stole things direct to others, I just thing itīs sad in this world everybody who deserved success donīt get it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 00:59
^ I certainly did listen to your clips, I've seen them numerous times in the past while debating right here on this site over the same issue.

If you want to accuse someone of being deaf who sees it differently, that's on you.   It is so very easy to say Zeppelin were thieves, and then to turn around and say Hendrix and the Stones and Syd friggin' Barrett were not.   But of course they were, and it is all there to hear when one sees the big rock 'n roll picture.   Heck, Bowie was a widely known 'borrower', and sometimes he would simply take a bit some other composer discarded or didn't value and develop it into something really good.

Your issue seems to be the band not being honest and fessing-up, and that is undeniably true.   It is also perhaps regrettable.   But Zeppelin's real problem is that they got caught as they became too big for their own good.   Jimi Hendrix neglected to credit innumerable musicians but few have the balls to accuse him, that American bluesmaster, of theft.   No, not Jimi.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:30
I thought most musical styles were borrowed...? Why is this such a big deal over LZ? If anyone's stealing from anyone, it's the first rock bands taking blues to a new level. I wouldn't even call that stealing. I'd say evolving. Hell, most prog bands are stealing jazz then, right?

I love this type of discussion btw!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 02:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I certainly did listen to your clips, I've seen them numerous times in the past while debating right here on this site over the same issue.

If you want to accuse someone of being deaf who sees it differently, that's on you.   It is so very easy to say Zeppelin were thieves, and then to turn around and say Hendrix and the Stones and Syd friggin' Barrett were not.   But of course they were, and it is all there to hear when one sees the big rock 'n roll picture.   Heck, Bowie was a widely known 'borrower', and sometimes he would simply take a bit some other composer discarded or didn't value and develop it into something really good.

Your issue seems to be the band not being honest and fessing-up, and that is undeniably true.   It is also perhaps regrettable.   But Zeppelin's real problem is that they got caught as they became too big for their own good.   Jimi Hendrix neglected to credit innumerable musicians but few have the balls to accuse him, that American bluesmaster, of theft.   No, not Jimi.
If you think they all are same kind of stealers, put me examples. Put a Jimi song that he stoled from somebody and took the credits himself. Also from Rolling Stones. Of course all those artists have listened old blues and borrowed things, but they evolve those to something at least little different. Zeppelin put there elements directly. Also one thing that I havenīt mentioned, the first Zeppelin album is a Pageīs version to Jeff Beckīs Truth. There are even two same songs, You Shook Me (yes, they credited it Willie Dixon, which is really amazing with that other we steal what we want-ideal) and How Many More Times which they took directly to Beckīs Bolero. You might know which sold more and got more respection, Beckīs Truth or Led Zeppelinīs first?

Also this discussion has gone a little bit wrong direction. Originally the issue was, that there was a guy he claims that Rush is not innovative. I said to that Rush was more innovative than Zep. They developed prog to the direction it has really gone in the eighties and also today. If there hadnīt been Zeppelin, there still would have been Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath etc. I also think Family has done same time some songs that sound me quite the same as Zeppelin, but better. I donīt believe the music history and howīs it today would have been really much different without Zeppelin, but I believe it would have been different without Rush.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 03:02
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I thought most musical styles were borrowed...? Why is this such a big deal over LZ? If anyone's stealing from anyone, it's the first rock bands taking blues to a new level. I wouldn't even call that stealing. I'd say evolving. Hell, most prog bands are stealing jazz then, right?

I love this type of discussion btw!
There were many bands before Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer, Ten Years After and naturally Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Zeppelin didnīt invent anything, they just were the ones who make it really big. Even Purple started earlier than Zeppelin.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 04:38
Have to correct my sayings, How Many More Times is not directly same as Beckīs Bolero. But the original verse is from Howlin Wolf`, the Hunter thatīs in the middle of the song is from Booker T & the MGīs and there is a part from Beckīs Bolero. And who got the credits in the album cover? Suprise Suprise Page, Jones & Bonham!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 05:01

If you think they all are same kind of stealers, put me examples. Put a Jimi song that he stoled from somebody and took the credits himself.
Too many to enumerate: 'Purple Haze', 'Foxy Lady', 'Red House', 'Freedom' and 'Have You Ever Heard..' where you hear Curtis Mayfield lifted, 'Easy Rider' as well.

Also one thing that I havenīt mentioned, the first Zeppelin album is a Pageīs version to Jeff Beckīs Truth. There are even two same songs, You Shook Me (yes, they credited it Willie Dixon, which is really amazing with that other we steal what we want-ideal) and How Many More Times which they took directly to Beckīs Bolero. You might know which sold more and got more respection, Beckīs Truth or Led Zeppelinīs first?
The point is, all those examples were rips on American blues.

If there hadnīt been Zeppelin, there still would have been Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath etc.   I donīt believe the music history and howīs it today would have been really much different without Zeppelin, but I believe it would have been different without Rush.
Yeah... just no.

Edited by Atavachron - February 04 2018 at 05:02
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 06:34

I donīt believe the music history and howīs it today would have been really much different without Zeppelin, but I believe it would have been different without Rush.

Shockin' ! Plant's playful and girly tone contrasting with dark power rythm section is very special. Also the amazing grooves in Good Times Bad Times and Black Dog; the mix of wit, fierceness, frivolity and melancholy in (studio's !) No Quarter... A song like The Crunge is unique too. Rush has solid and elaborate stuff but I haven't found the subtle mix of emotions from softness mixed with power I'd get in Zeppelin...
Pigwheeler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 06:35
Definitely Zeppelin, but I also think Zeppelin suck....so there isn't much competition there 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 07:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

hah.. you have the patience of a saint David.. or that of a teacher.. every year trying to teach a bunch of stoned disconnected children 2+2... or that Zep were FAR from the only thieves of others music, especially the blues masters.

Creativity is nor has ever been realized within a vacuum man. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>