Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rush vs Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Which band do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [49.50%]
51 [50.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush vs Led Zeppelin
    Posted: January 12 2013 at 17:15
Originally posted by Kati

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112

Wow this pole is neck on neck!!!! Whoohooo, I voted Zeppelin tho' not because of the obvious Stairway to Heaven, but Kashmir did it!!! It's a track that to date I love and can listen to it over and over again even on replay nonstop Approve
Hugs to all Hug

KashmirUnhappyUnhappy

Awww ProgMetaller, you don't like Kashmir? Unhappy bah!!!! I do, a lot LOT LOADS tho' Smile

As a matter of fact I don't it's too repetitive for my liking you chose it over say a Hemispheres or Xanadu?? but you do have your opinionsWink
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sumdeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 17:17
but dat riff
Sumdeus - unique, ambitious music with a wide range of influences and ideas.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 17:19
Originally posted by Sumdeus

but dat riff

Nah
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:16
When playing strip poker, make sure you are wearing a lot of clothes! or google will ban you ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:46

I've heard it a million times, Sonia
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:46
Doesn't mean i can't listen to it, relax. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 18:49
Originally posted by Horizons

Doesn't mean i can't listen to it, relax. 

I never said thatUnhappy
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2013 at 21:16
Originally posted by timothy learyThey may actually believe when Orwell said Ignorance is strength he actually meant just that. Pigs can fly, I am sure it is true because I heard it said.[/QUOTE

Hahahahaha

Hahahahaha
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeqexes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 01:02
Rush
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:18

Wow this pole is neck on neck!!!! Whoohooo, I voted Zeppelin tho' not because of the obvious Stairway to Heaven, but Kashmir did it!!! It's a track that to date I love and can listen to it over and over again even on replay nonstop Approve
Hugs to all Hug

KashmirUnhappyUnhappy

Awww ProgMetaller, you don't like Kashmir? Unhappy bah!!!! I do, a lot LOT LOADS tho' Smile

Sonia, you do know that that intro from Stairway to Heaven sounds a lot like a song from a band called Taurus
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:32
Originally posted by smartpatrol

Originally posted by smartpatrol

Two of my favorite bands. Love them both! But Rush beats LZ any day. They got me into music.

Edited a bit to reflect what I feel now.

edited once again

Edited by smartpatrol - January 16 2013 at 21:32
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:34

Hugs to all Hug
KashmirUnhappyUnhappy
Sonia, you do know that that intro from Stairway to Heaven sounds a lot like a song from a band called Taurus.
What's the name of the song, though?
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:39
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq

Hugs to all Hug
KashmirUnhappyUnhappy
Sonia, you do know that that intro from Stairway to Heaven sounds a lot like a song from a band called Taurus.
What's the name of the song, though?

I forgot it but look on youtube for led zeppelin stealing songs it's an OuchOuch to Led's credibility
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:42
^ I'm not sold, then. I thought David (a.k.a. Atavachron) has pointed it out to you that that a lot of other, even non-rock music acts, commit stealing and borrowing. Renaissance committed the same thing, but the more I listened to how they reworked the music, the less I cared. At least the Zeps gave credit to the notorious bluesmen on their second album. Rick Wright revealed that he took a particular chord from a Miles Davis composition, but you are not gonna bash him for that, right?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 16 2013 at 21:45
"People tell you life is short. ... No, it's not. Life is long. Especially if you make the wrong decisions." - Chris Rock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:46
Hey Andrey, the song's name is Spirit
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:47
^ Checking it out.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:47
I have little doubt up about half of Zep's material was influenced by or even taken from other artists, I hear bits from other sources all the time in their stuff that no one has even noticed.   Page and Jones were studio musicians and made a living playing other people's music for years.  

But the thing is, I hear lifts in Pink Floyd's music too (often from smaller British bands of the 60s).   Few would disagree, including me, that Floyd were one of the most original acts in rock but that doesn't mean they were immune from influence or even borrowing something.   Many artists are guilty of this.   Zeppelin's problem was aggravated by several things;  they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed.   Also they didn't well conceal their theft like others did--  the best way to steal music is to make the song your own enough so that no one notices.   The Beatles did it well.

Edited by Atavachron - January 16 2013 at 21:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:51
Originally posted by Atavachron

I have little doubt up about half of Zep's material was influenced by or even taken from other artists, I hear bits from other sources all the time in their stuff that no one has even noticed.   Page and Jones were studio musicians and made a living playing other people's music for years.  

But the thing is, I hear lifts in Pink Floyd's music too (often from smaller British bands of the 60s).   Few would disagree, including me, that Floyd were one of the most original acts in rock but that doesn't mean they were immune from influence or even borrowing something.   Many artists are guilty of this.   Zeppelin's problem was aggravated by several things;  they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed.   Also they didn't well conceal their theft like others did--  the best way to steal music is to make your own enough so that no one notices.   The Beatles did it well.

to me that's their problem and why I don't really like them

they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:55
Actually, the band is called Spirit and the song is called Taurus, in case that hasn't been settled.

I've known both songs for most of my life, and I never really thought the two were THAT similar anyway.
My other avatar is a Porsche / RARE GOAT bandcamp page
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl and Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 21:56
Can't recall if I voted here, but in case anyone cares, I like Zeppelin better than Rush.  It's fairly close though.
My other avatar is a Porsche / RARE GOAT bandcamp page
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>