Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Poll Question: Which band do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
63 [47.73%]
69 [52.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 18:58
Really, not.   But that's okay, you have many people who would agree with you, so enjoy whatever political support you can muster for this dying issue.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 23:26
Rush, but I love Led Zep too.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 15:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I have little doubt up about half of Zep's material was influenced by or even taken from other artists, I hear bits from other sources all the time in their stuff that no one has even noticed.   Page and Jones were studio musicians and made a living playing other people's music for years.  

But the thing is, I hear lifts in Pink Floyd's music too (often from smaller British bands of the 60s).   Few would disagree, including me, that Floyd were one of the most original acts in rock but that doesn't mean they were immune from influence or even borrowing something.   Many artists are guilty of this.   Zeppelin's problem was aggravated by several things;  they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed.   Also they didn't well conceal their theft like others did--  the best way to steal music is to make the song your own enough so that no one notices.   The Beatles did it well.

The Beatles plagiarized and stole people's music or is that a joke? Can't tell if you are joking 😂😂😂
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 17:18
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I have little doubt up about half of Zep's material was influenced by or even taken from other artists, I hear bits from other sources all the time in their stuff that no one has even noticed.   Page and Jones were studio musicians and made a living playing other people's music for years.  

But the thing is, I hear lifts in Pink Floyd's music too (often from smaller British bands of the 60s).   Few would disagree, including me, that Floyd were one of the most original acts in rock but that doesn't mean they were immune from influence or even borrowing something.   Many artists are guilty of this.   Zeppelin's problem was aggravated by several things;  they'd gotten too big to let the obvious poaching, or in some cases simply un-crediting, go unnoticed.   Also they didn't well conceal their theft like others did--  the best way to steal music is to make the song your own enough so that no one notices.   The Beatles did it well.

The Beatles plagiarized and stole people's music or is that a joke? Can't tell if you are joking 😂😂😂

The Beatles stole heaps, have you heard the tune they ripped "Get Back" from Little Queenie By Chuck Berry, as did Humble Pie with Natural born Boogie both same base tune......

Accused of exploiting other artists' songs in the Beatles, John Lennon defended himself by saying, "It wasn't a rip-off; it was a love-in." Paul McCartney's take: "We pinch as much from other people as they pinch from us."
1. "Revolution": Pee Wee Crayton, "Do Unto Others"
2. "Come Together": Chuck Berry, "You Can't Catch Me"
3. "I Feel Fine": Bobby Parker, "Watch Your Step"
4. "I Saw Her Standing There": Chuck Berry, "I'm Talking About You"
5. "Lady Madonna": Humphrey Lyttelton, "Bad Penny Blues"

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 09:16
Anteaters or pangolins ? 

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

The Beatles stole heaps, have you heard the tune they ripped "Get Back" from Little Queenie By Chuck Berry, as did Humble Pie with Natural born Boogie both same base tune......

Accused of exploiting other artists' songs in the Beatles, John Lennon defended himself by saying, "It wasn't a rip-off; it was a love-in." Paul McCartney's take: "We pinch as much from other people as they pinch from us."
1. "Revolution": Pee Wee Crayton, "Do Unto Others"
2. "Come Together": Chuck Berry, "You Can't Catch Me"
3. "I Feel Fine": Bobby Parker, "Watch Your Step"
4. "I Saw Her Standing There": Chuck Berry, "I'm Talking About You"
5. "Lady Madonna": Humphrey Lyttelton, "Bad Penny Blues"

Ok, could we just stop accusing anyone who writes blues-based songs of plagiarism?

There's only like 10 different licks/melodies/progressions/solos that you can make with blues harmony anyway LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 16:36
^Cool but you gotta admit that Revolution intro is a clacker- at least we know what the Beatles were listening to....... 
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 00:06
There's only so much you can do with the Blues LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 00:19
Either I am hearing something different or the Beatles didn't really rip anyone off. They were influenced sure but that's about it lol
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 12:59
Rush by a thin margin...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:31
Gotta say Rush. Zeppelin is hit or miss for me. Some stuff is great, other stuff, not so much.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:48
^Heh I feel the exact opposite.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 04:37
I'm a big Rush fan but they have some albums I can take or leave, whereas LZ are one of my top 3 bands and have very few songs that I dislike.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 16:04
Rush can play led zeps stuff .. but I doubt led zep could touch Rush's material and ability
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 22:57
Rush. Have to think about little, because none of them are not my big faves. Then pick Rush, because found out those so many cribs of Zeppelin.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 01:10
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Rush can play led zeps stuff .. but I doubt led zep could touch Rush's material and ability

Florence Foster-Jenkins could sing opera arias as well

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 15:31
Hi,

Considering that I had been hearing and enjoying LZ for almost 5 years, before Rush's first album, I would say that LZ has the edge here ... and honestly, when I heard Rush intently for the first time, a couple more years later, it was nice, however, the punch and the strength, was still with LZ for me, and my girlfriend.

Both have been very well loved for a long time, and will continue to appreciate that love. However, even musically, I would think that LZ was way more interesting for me, than Rush. That's not to say that Rush was not fine or good. It was great, but I had been with LZ since the first album and song ... and had rocked with it that whole time by then!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 19:24
Almost 8 years later and the mighty Zep are still on top.....'Hammer Of The Gods' indeed.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 07:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Almost 8 years later and the mighty Zep are still on top.....'Hammer Of The Gods' indeed.

;)

The issue for me was simple ... by the time that RUSH came about, I was into Pink Floyd, Ange, PFM, Banco, Can, Amon Duul 2, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Gong, Caravan, Ash Ra Tempel (and many others) ... and things like RUSH, no longer had the touch and the beauty to stand up to some of those works mentioned.

It was nothing personal or about the band at all. I actually thought that most of what RUSH was doing, at the time, was just extending what could have been different songs into one long one, on occasion, and of course, a bit later they scored a hit or two ... and that, for me, took the progressive and experimental out for me, and I was done listening ... not that I did not like a few songs here and there, but none of the longer pieces caught my attention anymore.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 08:01
Can't we like both ?
I'll never fully understand these duels - my problem surely
(but secretly happy Zep is on the lead hahaha)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>