Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush, Birmingham LG Arena 22 May.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush, Birmingham LG Arena 22 May.
    Posted: May 23 2011 at 14:09
This was my first Rush show and I couldn't have wished for better sound, set or performance. The sound was perfect from the first song with the guitars and keyboards perfectly clear all night. 

The songs they played in the first set were predominantly from the 80's and 90's albums with a surprise performance of Stick It Out which I wouldn't have expected to hear and a great performance of Leave That Thing Alone. They brought out some brilliant pyrotechnics in Marathon with a massive explosion that echo'd through the venue. They played some classics in the first half with Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions and Freewill being played.

The second set was the highlight with a flawless and incredible run through of Moving Pictures plus lots more classic songs any fan would want to hear and Neil Peart's Drum solo. There wasn't any feeling of disappointment at the end of the night and I hadn't noticed the length of time they'd been on stage. 3 hours of music brilliantly played was worth every penny for this show.
5 Star Show

Also first time doing a live review hereWink

Edited by topographicbroadways - May 23 2011 at 14:15
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 18:20
I was at the Manchester performance! And it my first Rush concert too. It just blew me away. I loved the mini intro before the show and the interval, even the American sitcom actor's cameo didn't go too far over my head at the end. I absolutely loved it. Oh and The Camera Eye? Wow, just wow.....

PS. I was somewhat closer to the stage than you it seems, I think Manchester is significantly smaller. I couldn't have asked for a better view. My only negative is that Rush concerts are going to take a lot of money out my pocket in days to come. 
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 02:48
Good review & pics too - a better job than The Guardian (see separate thread); makes me look forward to tomorrow night at the O2 in London even more...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 03:18
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Good review & pics too - a better job than The Guardian (see separate thread); makes me look forward to tomorrow night at the O2 in London even more...

Thanks, and yes I sawLOL. Kind of what inspired me to write mine
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 03:20
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I was at the Manchester performance! And it my first Rush concert too. It just blew me away. I loved the mini intro before the show and the interval, even the American sitcom actor's cameo didn't go too far over my head at the end. I absolutely loved it. Oh and The Camera Eye? Wow, just wow.....

PS. I was somewhat closer to the stage than you it seems, I think Manchester is significantly smaller. I couldn't have asked for a better view. My only negative is that Rush concerts are going to take a lot of money out my pocket in days to come. 

Yes I was up in the balconies so my view could have been better, though I could see all 3 of them clearly enough so couldn't have much to complain about. And the visuals they provide on the screen were brilliant
steve j View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 07:01
I was there - really enjoyed the concert.  No complaints - money well spent - bring on the next tour! - 5stars
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 07:04
3 hours? That's great. 
GoldenGod2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 19:12
I went to the Ridgefield, WA show and it was amazing. I hear it was sold out too. Sure looked like it.
Best concert I've ever been too.
I could feel the heat from the pyrotechnics in one of the songs and i was midway between the stage and lawn.
It was also three hours long. Though they did have to take a maybe 15 or 20 minute break before they got into Moving Pictures. I still remember Geddy said "Due to us being a hundred years old we need to take a short break" or something like that. it was pretty funny.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near. - Jim Morrison
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 19:21
^ I was at the same show in Ridgefield, Time Machine v2.0........and yes excellent show. The pyro came out heavy on Witch Hunt, that's where you feel the heat. The break is common now on their shows, its an Intermission...and yes due to their advanced age as Geddy states.
I reviewed this show and the one I attended in San Francisco on Aug 2010....which was Time Machine v1.0 Big smile.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 19:36
I went to my first Rush concert as well during this tour.

Like yours, it was flawless and lasted a whole 3 hours. 

Glad to hear you had fun!

Post Reply Post Reply