Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommendations for Camel albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations for Camel albums
    Posted: January 20 2013 at 09:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The first album I got was Mirage, and I feel it was a good album to begin with, though I still haven't got their debut. Also, perhaps "A Live album" would be a good point to start with, for you can get an overview of their early (and in general, most beloved) years, my only complaint with that album is that it doesn't feature "Lady Fantasy".

Are you sure? I have a vinyl copy of "A Live Album" from when it was first released and it has a killer version of Lady Fantasy on it. I'd be surprised if they'd missed that track off the CD version.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 19:40
The first album I got was Mirage, and I feel it was a good album to begin with, though I still haven't got their debut. Also, perhaps "A Live album" would be a good point to start with, for you can get an overview of their early (and in general, most beloved) years, my only complaint with that album is that it doesn't feature "Lady Fantasy".
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:55
I never bothered with anything past the first four albums. I've tried songs from different ones and it all seemed much more poppy and not good or interesting at all
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:28
Funny, I didn't really care that much for Breathless, in spite of Sinclair's contributions to the band.  I actually prefer I Can See Your House.  Of the Hoover-era my favorites are Rajaz, Dust and Dreams and Stationary Traveler.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:19
Originally posted by Heepster Heepster wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Breathless is a great album, very underrated. 

Breathless is the swang song of an era for Camel, Maybe, a farewell to an entire era of the prog-rock in general, too. The album is not conceived like a "concept", so perhaps this fact tends to confund to the majority. *Every single track is a WHOLE*, thatīs the correct point of view to appreciate this masterwork, in my humble opinion. 
Breathless is one of my very favorites from the band too.  In fact, it was a very "key" album from my childhood, and it sounds even better today.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Heepster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:10
Stationery Traveller, and maybe Dust and Dreams, are another must-haves of the Hoover-era (the first is far superior to Nude).
Heepster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:07
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Breathless is the swang song of an era for Camel, Maybe, a farewell to an entire era of the prog-rock in general, too. The album is not conceived like a "concept", so perhaps this fact tends to confund to the majority. *Every single track is a WHOLE*, thatīs the correct point of view to appreciate this masterwork, in my humble opinion. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:50
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:11
I'm actually considering picking up the albums from Rain Dances through Nude.  It seems the albums as wholes aren't as solid as the first four, but there are some songs on those albums that I think I need in my collection. 
Heepster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2012 at 09:40
   Hi everybody! Iīm a new member, and a long time Camel berserker... About the recomendations for his sublime discography, the correct path to follow is: Mirage - Moonmadness - A Live record - Snow Goose (the alive version is slightly different in tempos and intensities: another experience, "another night". I see it as a good introduction to the real thing) - Raindances - Breathless (f**k, yeah: last of the almighty Bardens era, and second and last for the lovely Rich Sinclair) - The first album (Arubaluba and Never let go: what else????). Etc....  Good luck, kid!
theRunawayV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 09:28
Start off with Moonmadness, then Snow Goose, then Nude. Then just get whatever you want,really. I never really thought Mirage was all that great. Don't get me wrong I love it, just nowhere near Moonmadness or Snow Goose.. They excel live, too so get a live album/DVD.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 07:55
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Yes it's worth listening even if you don't enjoy the whole album, it features great tracks Wink

Thanks for the advice.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 17:12
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

My introduction to Camel was to see them live around the Snow Goose time. They played the album in its entirety as well as tracks from Camel and Mirage. So, I feel more attached to those albums. Moon Madness and  Rain Dances are excellent, but seem a bit more accessible. I have never heard Stationary Traveller - is it worth getting?         
                                                                                                         Yes it's worth listening even if you don't enjoy the whole album, it features great tracks Wink
FAIS QUE TON REVE SOIT PLUS LONG QUE LA NUIT HAVE YOUR DREAM LASTING LONGER THAN THE NIGHT
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 13:20
My introduction to Camel was to see them live around the Snow Goose time. They played the album in its entirety as well as tracks from Camel and Mirage. So, I feel more attached to those albums. Moon Madness and  Rain Dances are excellent, but seem a bit more accessible. I have never heard Stationary Traveller - is it worth getting?         
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 12:14
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

I'm still wondering why Single factor has been that much disliked,Caravan did albums which were more pop oriented too.....
It was the attitude of people that I noticed first before listening to the album. That was an overshadow single factor within itself. On Nude.... the 1 or 2 more commercial sounding songs were overshadowed with the progressive side to the music. People then...during the release of it connected with the music and perhaps they were waiting for the next release to sound like or produce the same ideas on Nude.  
TopographicTales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 19:57
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

Can't go wrong with the first four albums, Camel, Mirage, Snow Goose, and Moonmadness. Especially the latter three.

I would pretty much say the same.

I'm actually listening to Moondmadness right now.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 19:03
Can't go wrong with the first four albums, Camel, Mirage, Snow Goose, and Moonmadness. Especially the latter three.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 09:39

This is awesome track from Moonmadness

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 07:45
The first four albums are all good. The best, imo are Moonmadness and Mirage.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 07:34
I highly recommend Moonmadness. Moonmadness was a kind of peak the band reached when they built themselves up to that point with releases such as the first album, Mirage, and Snow Goose. Moonmadness was the perfect blend of elements. Elements which were present on the first 3 titles but had yet to blend in such a way as they do on Moonmadness. The follow up album Rain Dances featured Mel Collins and Richard Sinclair on board for the first time. The album was more jazzy and yet had a smoother mainstream Top 40 hits vibe to it. It wasn't a bad album, however things did get progressively worse in the Top 40 vain with Breathless and I Can See Your House From Here

I Can See Your House From Here featured Kit Watkins....the great keyboardist from Happy the Man. His role is unjust on this particular record. After hearing his great keyboard work on Happy the Man albums it seemed he was adjusting to what he was being asked to do and nothing else. With the follow up release NUDE ...it felt like the band were returning to the progressive nature of Moonmadness. Not so much indicated on songs like "City Life", but more present on "Docks". Docks was an instrumental derived from a piece Kit Watkins wrote titled "Mt. St. Helens" and was featured on the Kit Watkins solo album Labyrinth. As the years progressd they released albums like The Single Factor which reminded me of Alan Parsons and Stationary Traveller (which I enjoyed a lot), and was a much darker album compared to Single Factor. Stationary Traveller contained some cheesy type ballads, yet was held in high regard due to it's hot instrumentals and lyrically dark up tempo songs

I used to surf through albums like Breathless just to hear songs like "Echoes" and "The Sleeper" Many years later I stumbled across Dust and Dreams in Tower Records. I enjoyed most of it and wrote Andy Latimer a letter and sent it to his new address in Mount View, California. He sent me many photograph promotion shots of the band which were signed by the band, but mostly him and Colin Bass. He wrote me a few letters as well. I love his guitar work on Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears, and Rajaz. A little more modern sounding Camel with some very great songs and instrumental pieces in the epic vain.

Edited by TODDLER - September 22 2011 at 07:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>