Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCruachan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruachan
    Posted: May 25 2011 at 03:30

Hi all, it has been more than a year since I first raised the issue of adding the pioneers of Celtic Metal to our beloved archives. See: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66253&KW=cruachan 

They have since been evaluated and (as far as I know and remember rejected) by the Progressive Metal team. But maybe Cruachan would fit better into some other sub-genre? Maybe Experimental/Post Metal like fellow Folk Metal pioneers Orphaned Land? Or Tech/Extreme Prog Metal due to their Black Metal influences on their debut as well as on their most recent album? Or Prog Folk? Or Prog Related? 

It would be unfair to exclude a band due to the simple fact that there isn't a sub.genre into which they clearly belong, right? I really think they deserve to be here, especially due to the excellent and very progressive Folk-Lore album that mixes traditional Celtic Folk music, with Irish Folk Rock, various Metal styles and symphonic arrangements. 

What do you think?

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 06:22
All metal categories are managed by the same team. And from my experience, the other teams don't take metal bands but refer them to the Prog Metal Team. So IMO it's a dead end for this band.

Why not review them on MMA?
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 02:04
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

All metal categories are managed by the same team. And from my experience, the other teams don't take metal bands but refer them to the Prog Metal Team. So IMO it's a dead end for this band.

Why not review them on MMA?

I have actually reviewed most of Cruachan's albums on MMA already, thanks. But the fact that I could do so is irrelevant to whether this band belongs here or not. Lots of bands are featured on both sites, several of which I think are a lot less relevant to PA than Cruachan. 

I have looked into the process in the Prog Metal team and apparently Cruachan got four no-votes, three yes-votes and one unsure-vote. Hence it was a close call. Indeed, had the person who was unsure changed his mind to yes, it would have been a draw. I think that this shows that there is some merit to the suggestion. I respect the decision, but it would be nice to know how those who voted reasoned on the matter.

Maybe you're right that it is a dead end for Cruachan, but it seems to me that you are suggestion this to be the case for "political" reasons, not for musical reasons. Is that right?

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 04:47
I was just being honest to you. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply