Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrobschnitt CDs question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grobschnitt CDs question
    Posted: May 26 2011 at 18:31
So tell me, is it just impossible to find any of the main Grobschnitt albums on CD now?  I can't seem to find them anywhere for a decent price.  I used to have Ballermann on CD, but I sold it at a time I was thinning out my collection, (I regret that now, obviously).  Any help with a good distro or online store that has these would be much appreciated. 

Also is any of those Die Grobschnitt Story CDs any good? If they are quality releases I'd like to pick one up that concentrates on their mid/late 70s era.   
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 19:17
The International Story is a good live retrospective, but that's about the best I can do for you as I don't own the albums proper.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 05:44
I got mine ages ago and never knew they might be sought after now. A quick look on German Amazon reveals that there are a number of them still available, but sadly not all. Strange, because I don't think the Eroc remixes are all that far back.

As for the Grobschnitt Story albums I couldn't say. I gather most of them are live? and are probably OK especially as Grobschnitt was mostly supposed to be a live band very reliant on strong visuals. I always find endless jams very tedious (needless to say I'm neither a Grateful Dead or Phish fan). And as the visual element is obviously missing on audio I don't see the point. The Grobschnitt pure live audio I know isn't anywhere near what I look for in their albums.

So I never bothered with the Story albums, the regular studio albums were always quite enough for me, although I did find their later New-Wavey output very trying. OK though if you like German bands like Spliff, for instance.

My favourite was always Jumbo, and NOT! Rockpommel's Land. Incredibly strong melodies on J, which I missed on R'sL. Jumbo is possibly amongst my top 15 or 20, but it stands way out from their other output.

Edited by npjnpj - May 27 2011 at 05:50
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 15:10
Be patient--I'm sure they'll be back around.  Keep tabs on www.synphonic.8m.com, because Greg Walker is a huge Grobschnitt fan and will have them as soon as they're available.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 15:17
Regarding the Grobschnitt Story CDs, I have a few of them and occasionally spin them.  The first one is especially good, as well as number 4 (a full live concert from the Illegal tour, with them doing all their best stuff--which I just realized is inexplicably absent from PA).  Zero is pretty good, with a bunch of early demos and such.  Two isn't as good.  I don't have 5 or 6.  Three is History of Solar Music vol. 1.

My Gnosis Ratings

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 13:49
thanks for the replies, yeah Syn-phonic was the first place I looked but no luck, I might just have to settle for DLs for now, 

btw I PMed you Todd
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 14:06
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

as well as number 4 (a full live concert from the Illegal tour, with them doing all their best stuff--which I just realized is inexplicably absent from PA). .

is this it here?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6410

Edited by mithrandir - May 29 2011 at 14:07
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 19:39
Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

as well as number 4 (a full live concert from the Illegal tour, with them doing all their best stuff--which I just realized is inexplicably absent from PA). .

is this it here?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6410

Oops!  Yes, that's the one.  Quite a remarkable concert!  Embarrassed

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply