Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCardiacs side project: Sea Nymphs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardiacs side project: Sea Nymphs
    Posted: May 27 2011 at 08:35
Cardiacs are one of the most progressive and interesting bands of all time, and therefore it wouldn't be a surprise if Cardiacs had a few side projects that were worthy of participating in the archives, well they do!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake/ The Sea Nymphs: the group consists of three Cardiacs members (two of them being former Cardiacs members)- Tim Smith, Sarah Smith, William D. Drake. They started out in the 80s and recorded a rather beautiful eponymous (Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake) album on an 8 track. Later around '93 after Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake left Cardiacs, the three reformed under the Sea Nymphs, and recorded a bunch of tracks with better audio quality than the one made in the 80s, which some of them were eventually shoved into an album. While both albums focus on quieter more pastoral avant sounding folky passages that are definitely easier to listen to if you can't stand the punk noise of Cardiacs (i.e. me dad, who can't really stand Cardiacs but loves the Sea Nymphs), the albums recorded in the 80s does sound quite different than the 90s album. Both should probably be in RIO/Avant-prog.

Linku linky links:

Unfortunately stuff for Mr. & Mrs.... is rather scarce on the Tube so this'll do.

There be dragons
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 14:44
Hm. I don't hear much RIO or Avant stuff, but they have resemblances to bands such as Phideaux, so they may be able to pass for Xover, but if that doesn't happen I'm sure they'd be a fine candidate to be included as Prog Related.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 15:10
I'm pretty familiar with the album (Sea Nymphs), I'd say either psych or crossover as well.  I'm trying to hear some of the Mr and Mrs Smith and Mr Drake album, but unless it's unbelievably different in style, I feel like I'll stand by my opinion of the music.  Smashing stuff, though, Lilly White's Party in particular is an incredibly beautiful song. 
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 15:32
I agree they can fit into Crossover definitely. The line between Crossover and RIO can at times be rather hard to see, and sometimes isn't really there, in the end it's just progressive. Sea Nymphs case though I do feel there's a certain avant feeling in the melodies which are rather abstract, though definitely in a pretty and folky way. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as their in the Archives.

Edited by frippism - May 28 2011 at 01:13
There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 01:13
To Saltyjon and to anyone it might concern, if you have a friend in Britain you can order Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Mr. Drake's album through All My Eye And Betty Martin, Tim Smith's record label. Unfortunately is has yet made it possible for international shipping, but if you're lucky enough to have a friend in the UK, you can order it through the label's website.

Edited by frippism - May 28 2011 at 01:14
There be dragons
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 06:32
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

To Saltyjon and to anyone it might concern, if you have a friend in Britain you can order Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Mr. Drake's album through All My Eye And Betty Martin, Tim Smith's record label. Unfortunately is has yet made it possible for international shipping, but if you're lucky enough to have a friend in the UK, you can order it through the label's website.

Slightly OT, but Is All My Eye still up and running then? I always kinda assumed that because the main ABC shop has been closed due to Tim's health problems then AME's activities would also have been put on hold.

As for the suggestion, maybe Prog-Folk is also worth considering, as to my ears The Sea Nymphs were basically a psychedelic folk outfit. My main reservation would be the distinct lack of rock in their music. They were progressive, definitely, but were they really progressive rock?

Personally I'd sooner see Spratley's Japs added in some capacity to the site.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 07:01
^ Prog Folk is definitely a possibility. AME was working a couple of months ago, at least when I bought the CD. 
And I also posted a thread on Spratley's Japs which should be somewhere on the first page. They are much more rock than Sea Nymphs for sure.
There be dragons
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 08:04

AME was working a couple of months ago, at least when I bought the CD.

Splendid news! Here's hoping they're still in business by the time I have a job and/or some money.

frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 09:29
I really hope AME stays in business, does seem a bit weird though I do agree. I do wonder if someone might have taken charge of it while Tim's ill, because a few bands are in the label I guess someone must picked up where Tim left off. The label has a few great bands which would be a shame if they wouldn't stay on the label.

Edited by frippism - May 29 2011 at 00:05
There be dragons
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 09:50
Interesting, gotta listen more, but I can see them for Crossover.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 21:19
Added to crossover
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 23:36
Wonderful, thanks! If you need any help with a biography or with the album info just let me know.
There be dragons
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 23:38

Wonderful, thanks! If you need any help with a biography or with the album info just let me know.
Just go for it re album additionsClap

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 03:23
No problem! In the Sea Nymphs page will also Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Drake be included, or will there be a separate page?
There be dragons
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 04:07

No problem! In the Sea Nymphs page will also Mr. & Mrs. Smith & Drake be included, or will there be a separate page?

Personally, I think it would make far more sense to include M&MS&MD on the Sea Nymphs page and try to make the distinction clear in the biography. For all intents and purposes it's the same project - same line-up, same sound (more or less).
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 10:02
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

Personally, I think it would make far more sense to include M&MS&MD on the Sea Nymphs page and try to make the distinction clear in the biography. For all intents and purposes it's the same project - same line-up, same sound (more or less).
I think the album should be included in the Sea Nymphs page, such is the " Inclusion" work.

Post Reply Post Reply