Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2011 Stanley Cup Finals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Who will win this years Stanley Cup?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [82.61%]
4 [17.39%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 16:25
I'm going downtown too! Should be good. I would be surprised if they won tonight though. Equally surprised if they lose game 7.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 18:45
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I'm rooting for the Bruins.  Hope they can force a game 7 tonight.

They will! It's a schizophrenic series. Each team have showed different personnality. It looks that the Bruins can't get pass the time lag syndrome. If the Bruins can score 2 goals in game 7, they will win the Cup.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 22:48
If Luongo continues to play like this, the Bruins should have an easy time. Of course Luongo has played fine in Vancouver. Well, good luck to both in game 7. Go Bruins though!

(cough... BLACKHAWKS ACTUALLY cough...) Wink
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 01:17
Both teams are horrible on the road this series......on to game 7!!!!

cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 10:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

^^^

as an afterthought to my previous post, I find that Hockey was incredible to Canada until 93, when ther habs won it last (since then the stanley drought has strickenCry).... I mean it was all for the original six teams, until the Islanders, Penguins and Oilers came in >> but these were Canadian offshoots anyway.... Just imagine that the year (95) the Nordiques moved to Denver, they won the cup .... and the following year, the Jets moved to PhoenixOuch and that in 94, the Canucks losdt the finals.

But since then, the weak CDN$, the high income taxes and small markets have really hurt us.

I have to disagree with you on some of your points you've made. The Canadian teams bring in 35% of the revenue of the league. That's 6 out of 30 teams. That's a huge number of dollars coming in from Canada. Next year it will be 7 and in a couple years it will be 8 and and I'll even predict 9 teams within  5 years.

IMO, it was Bettman's "philosophy" to place teams in non-traditional markets that has also hurt the Canadian teams as these teams are compensated by the richer franchises thus taking dollars out of the team's bottom line.

To be fair to Bettman he did save some Canadian franchises, like the Oilers, Senators and even the Flames with compensation going to them back in the 90's because of our very low $, but since the lockout and a few years before the Canadian markets have done very well with the salary cap and our high $.

It seems some people think it is only the NHL that has problems. Take a look at the other three pro team leagues. All have thier problems too.

I think there will be another two teams in southern Ontario as the league can see the huge $ there and not to place another team(s) there is ludicrous. Q.C. will have another team once thier new arena is built. It will be built.

Anyway back to the game last night. I couldn't watch the game after the third goal. It was over. The first goal the Bruins scored I said, "here we go again.' After the second, "get Luongo the hell out of there." And after the third goal, "it's over", and I shut 'er off.

I'm blaming Luongo for this series going 7. Nobody else but him. He's getting paid the big bucks and he's not the doing the job. He's starting game 7, though he's played well at home, if he let's in the first bad goal, get him outta there. This is for the Stanley cup. The Canuck's aren't going to score three goals on Tim Thomas the way he is playing.

All in all, I hope it's a good game and close. Either way, win or lose, I'll have tears in my eyes from joy and relief or sheer disappointment.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I mean, yes, the Bruins lost all their road games, but did they really play that horrible?  All the games in Vancouver were 1 goal wins.

I'll grant you the game 2 loss was due to horrible defense by Chara for the game winning goal.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 11:00
Originally posted by cannon cannon wrote:

^^^

as an afterthought to my previous post, I find that Hockey was incredible to Canada until 93, when ther habs won it last (since then the stanley drought has strickenCry).... I mean it was all for the original six teams, until the Islanders, Penguins and Oilers came in >> but these were Canadian offshoots anyway.... Just imagine that the year (95) the Nordiques moved to Denver, they won the cup .... and the following year, the Jets moved to PhoenixOuch and that in 94, the Canucks losdt the finals.

But since then, the weak CDN$, the high income taxes and small markets have really hurt us.

I have to disagree with you on some of your points you've made. The Canadian teams bring in 35% of the revenue of the league. That's 6 out of 30 teams. That's a huge number of dollars coming in from Canada. Next year it will be 7 and in a couple years it will be 8 and and I'll even predict 9 teams within  5 years.

IMO, it was Bettman's "philosophy" to place teams in non-traditional markets that has also hurt the Canadian teams as these teams are compensated by the richer franchises thus taking dollars out of the team's bottom line.

To be fair to Bettman he did save some Canadian franchises, like the Oilers, Senators and even the Flames with compensation going to them back in the 90's because of our very low $, but since the lockout and a few years before the Canadian markets have done very well with the salary cap and our high $.

I think there will be another two teams in southern Ontario as the league can see the huge $ there and not to place another team(s) there is ludicrous. Q.C. will have another team once thier new arena is built. It will be built.

You're bringing me some solid optimism hereApprove.... Indeed, I'm not that close to the NHL action or grapevine, since I'm on the other side of the pond...

What is that seventh team you're talking about for next season.... a new franchise or an existing one moving???
How about that 8th you mention??? Please tell me more

I agree that since (and just prior to) the lock-out, we've seen Canadian teams get into the finals (Oilers, senators & Flames), but still too many Canadian teams didn't make the playoffs this year (that's also a big problem... all six teams play in two different divisions > good for rivalry.... but, sportwise...)

anyway, STANLEY HEAD HOME!!!!!Wink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 14:25

I mean, yes, the Bruins lost all their road games, but did they really play that horrible?  All the games in Vancouver were 1 goal wins.

I'll grant you the game 2 loss was due to horrible defense by Chara for the game winning goal.

They were one goal games thanks to Tim Thomas. Could have easily been two or three more goals for the Canucks. I admit that I'm biased though. Tongue
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 14:42
Originally posted by Dalezilla Dalezilla wrote:

They were one goal games thanks to Tim Thomas. Could have easily been two or three more goals for the Canucks. I admit that I'm biased though. Tongue

Yes, Thomas is having a hell of a series.  But the Bruins do have to hope they can get the bad Luongo again.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 15:20

^^^

You're bringing me some solid optimism hereApprove.... Indeed, I'm not that close to the NHL action or grapevine, since I'm on the other side of the pond...

What is that seventh team you're talking about for next season.... a new franchise or an existing one moving???

I agree that since (and just prior to) the lock-out, we've seen Canadian teams get into the finals (Oilers, senators & Flames), but still too many Canadian teams didn't make the playoffs this year (that's also a big problem... all six teams play in two different divisions > good for rivalry.... but, sportwise...)

The Atlanta Thrashers got sold and moved to Winnipeg. They'll start next season. It's still up in the air to what the team will called. The owner owns the AHL Manitoba Moose(Canuck's farm team. Not sure if they'll be staying.) and the team might be called the Moose. IMO, it has to be the Jets.

However, here's the Moose logo. Pretty cool. So Canadian. I could accept it.Approve

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 17:56

^^^

The Atlanta Thrashers got sold and moved to Winnipeg. They'll start next season. It's still up in the air to what the team will called. The owner owns the AHL Manitoba Moose(Canuck's farm team. Not sure if they'll be staying.) and the team might be called the Moose. IMO, it has to be the Jets.

However, here's the Moose logo. Pretty cool. So Canadian. I could accept it.Approve

Nope!

Edited by Evolver - June 14 2011 at 17:58
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 20:38

There has been great play from both teams this series.But both teams not being able to win on the road is pretty bad.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 02:43
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Nope!

I don't think the name of Winnipeg Poohs will scare any NHL bruteLOL....
I'd prefer the the Moose logo, but I think this would be easily transformed into bad jokes... (mouse, or sumthin' else)

The Jets would be a good idea (although the NHL might resent the use of the 70's WHA powerhouse name),  because after all, it's only been 14 years

Soooo it would be the second time Atlanta would loose their franchise to Canada (after the Flames). Not a good idea for canucks to take holidays in Geargia, uh???OuchWink

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 07:52

Nope!

I don't think the name of Winnipeg Poohs will scare any NHL bruteLOL....
I'd prefer the the Moose logo, but I think this would be easily transformed into bad jokes... (mouse, or sumthin' else)

The Jets would be a good idea (although the NHL might resent the use of the 70's WHA powerhouse name),  because after all, it's only been 14 years

Soooo it would be the second time Atlanta would loose their franchise to Canada (after the Flames). Not a good idea for canucks to take holidays in Geargia, uh???OuchWink

Poohs is worst than the Mighty Ducks.

Bettman didn't take history in account in regards to Atlanta. The Flames weren't a bad team in Atlanta making the playoffs six out of the eight years they were there. As far as teams relocating to other US markets I really have no idea where they would go. Oklahoma City? Seattle I would think could support a team. Back in Hartford? Kansas City..it didn't work there as well. Portland, Oregon...maybe. Milwaukee...hockey is pretty big there on a high school and university level.

In summary, I can only see teams relocating to Canada in the immediate future. I even think the lower mainland of B.C. could support another team.

I'm already nervous and excited about game 7 tonight.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 08:17

Just think of the comedic aspects.
They could have white uniforms, with a brown stripe down the back of the pants.

Oh, wait, the Canucks wore those this past week in Boston. Big smile
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 08:51

No one in Atlanta will even notice that the team is gone.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 12:48

Just think of the comedic aspects.
They could have white uniforms, with a brown stripe down the back of the pants.

Oh, wait, the Canucks wore those this past week in Boston. Big smile

LOL You made my day. That's friggin' hilarious.

Loungo must be eating contaminated oysters in Boston as he has a bad case of the sh*tz.
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 17:12
I want a close game.  At least that's how the Vancouver games have been thus far.
A fun place to review and discuss metal: MetalMusicArchives
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 20:48
looks like it's going to be a dark day for hockey

Time always wins.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 20:54
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote: