Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many days between longing and acquisition?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I'm a vinyl collector, so most of the time it takes between three months and two years. There are some exceptions and I have a long list of albums I'm interested in.

Is there a resource you can mention that gives info on availability of 'new pressings' of older releases. There are a few I'd like to obtain. Specifically KC - In the Court, ELP - Trilogy, Tarkus, Yes - Close to the Edge. I've seen some 120g release in a local shop that included titles like The Who - Quadrophenia and Supertramp - Crimes but for the most part the titles weren't very proggy.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 13:37
It depends what it is. I have a couple of 2011 albums i want to get, but I'm not desperate. The joy of Amazon or HMV, where I buy most of my stuff, is that they have a lot of prog, and i can download instantly.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 16:32
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by wrote:

And what I'm willing to pay usually depends on a couple of factors. If I know & like the band then I'm usually willing to pay more. For new artists I'm more likely to go bargain hunting, but that depends on my mood.

This is a strange paradigm when you think about it. new bands are the ones that need the support and income to further their musical careers. While I may understand the reluctance to spend big bucks on the unknown, to say you'd rather look for bargains for new acts and spend more on bands that you know (and that may already have an established career) somehow seems backwards. I'd rather pay $9.99 for a Yes or KC or Pink Floyd release and $15 - $20 for an up and comer knowing it may help give them the ability to grow and produce more and better music in the future. Of course it's best to at least have an idea of what you're buying, so I read reviews to get a sense of the musical direction before I drop my cash.

Well, for one thing the bargain hunting applies to bands that are new to me. Those may very well already have an established career. They're not necesarilly newbies. And now that I am compiling a newbie list in my head, it's surprisingly short.
You're absolutely right about it being backwards. But I buy music for myself, supporting artists is a secondary benefit. When it comes to spending money I prefer to play safe. And I do read reviews, but those aren't a perfect tool for making sure you get what you like (sorry PA, you're doing a great job), at least not for me.
I get infected by other people's FANaticism too easily.

Newbie list that I can come up with on the spot: Pure Reason Revolution, Ephrat, Haken, Indukti, Demians
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 20:56
Varies on mood and available resources. Sometimes I enjoy just listening to samples of bands I've never heard of then making a purchase, so I might not have known the band existed minutes before buying the album. Other times I'm content to work through my wish list ... and occasionally it doesn't matter either way and I have to wait due to financial constraints.
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 02:28
I started buying vinyls nearly one year ago, so i'm slowly getting all the albums I should have got before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12