Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many days between longing and acquisition?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many days between longing and acquisition?
    Posted: June 02 2011 at 02:28
I started buying vinyls nearly one year ago, so i'm slowly getting all the albums I should have got before.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 20:56
Varies on mood and available resources. Sometimes I enjoy just listening to samples of bands I've never heard of then making a purchase, so I might not have known the band existed minutes before buying the album. Other times I'm content to work through my wish list ... and occasionally it doesn't matter either way and I have to wait due to financial constraints.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 16:32
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by wrote:

And what I'm willing to pay usually depends on a couple of factors. If I know & like the band then I'm usually willing to pay more. For new artists I'm more likely to go bargain hunting, but that depends on my mood.

This is a strange paradigm when you think about it. new bands are the ones that need the support and income to further their musical careers. While I may understand the reluctance to spend big bucks on the unknown, to say you'd rather look for bargains for new acts and spend more on bands that you know (and that may already have an established career) somehow seems backwards. I'd rather pay $9.99 for a Yes or KC or Pink Floyd release and $15 - $20 for an up and comer knowing it may help give them the ability to grow and produce more and better music in the future. Of course it's best to at least have an idea of what you're buying, so I read reviews to get a sense of the musical direction before I drop my cash.

Well, for one thing the bargain hunting applies to bands that are new to me. Those may very well already have an established career. They're not necesarilly newbies. And now that I am compiling a newbie list in my head, it's surprisingly short.
You're absolutely right about it being backwards. But I buy music for myself, supporting artists is a secondary benefit. When it comes to spending money I prefer to play safe. And I do read reviews, but those aren't a perfect tool for making sure you get what you like (sorry PA, you're doing a great job), at least not for me.
I get infected by other people's FANaticism too easily.

Newbie list that I can come up with on the spot: Pure Reason Revolution, Ephrat, Haken, Indukti, Demians
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 13:37
It depends what it is. I have a couple of 2011 albums i want to get, but I'm not desperate. The joy of Amazon or HMV, where I buy most of my stuff, is that they have a lot of prog, and i can download instantly.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I'm a vinyl collector, so most of the time it takes between three months and two years. There are some exceptions and I have a long list of albums I'm interested in.

Is there a resource you can mention that gives info on availability of 'new pressings' of older releases. There are a few I'd like to obtain. Specifically KC - In the Court, ELP - Trilogy, Tarkus, Yes - Close to the Edge. I've seen some 120g release in a local shop that included titles like The Who - Quadrophenia and Supertramp - Crimes but for the most part the titles weren't very proggy.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 07:27
Originally posted by wrote:

And what I'm willing to pay usually depends on a couple of factors. If I know & like the band then I'm usually willing to pay more. For new artists I'm more likely to go bargain hunting, but that depends on my mood.

This is a strange paradigm when you think about it. new bands are the ones that need the support and income to further their musical careers. While I may understand the reluctance to spend big bucks on the unknown, to say you'd rather look for bargains for new acts and spend more on bands that you know (and that may already have an established career) somehow seems backwards. I'd rather pay $9.99 for a Yes or KC or Pink Floyd release and $15 - $20 for an up and comer knowing it may help give them the ability to grow and produce more and better music in the future. Of course it's best to at least have an idea of what you're buying, so I read reviews to get a sense of the musical direction before I drop my cash.

Edited by JD - May 29 2011 at 07:36
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 22:20
I never buy anything without waiting at least 2 days to a week, but usually it's a lot longer than that. I haven't bought any albums in months. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 21:57
there are albums I've been wanting to get my hands on for about 5 years now. 
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 21:53
There were certain groups that were not only on autobuy, but speed autobuy.  That meant the first week if not the first day.  It took a while to realize that the price will go down with time, and there may be another version with a bonus track or 2 if you wait.   Could be months now.   
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 17:26
On average, three to six months. It varies based on how bad I want something, how much extra money I have, and how much time I have to listen to it. It took me years to buy some albums. I've also bought a few albums right after I saw them at the CD store.

Edited by notesworth - May 28 2011 at 17:28
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 17:07
Sometimes it's seconds after, sometimes it's years after. Really no set deal with me.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 15:42
It could be anywhere from a couple of days to 10 years or more.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 14:34
It really depends on which online shop I use. The cheaper ones can take ages. If I'm not using those then it's usually between a day and 2 weeks. I'm usually ahead of myself and have a pile of cds that I haven't listened to or not enough.

Ofcourse it helps to know that you can always download if you really want something NOW.
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 14:26
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I'm a vinyl collector, so most of the time it takes between three months and two years. There are some exceptions and I have a long list of albums I'm interested in.

I'm compiling a list of vinyls I have that I am interested in selling, but I'm afraid I may do it locally as I don't have to bother with the hassle of shipping.

But back to the question, probably 0 as there really isn't any music I "long" for these days, unless you count in shipping time.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 13:20
It's a bad story. Here in Greece the prog albums are difficult to be found. 
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 13:19
artograffi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 13:06
Amazingly Amazon have a lot of prog so I buy straight away if there' something I want.Cry
Rise above the humdrum, reach for another stratosphere
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 12:42
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

I generally read about it, make a mental note and buy it once it pops up in front of me. I've already got a bit of music anyhow and, unlike the degenerate download crowd that blindly steals out of sheer selfishness, instant gratification doesn't factor in to my calculations.

Like Henry says - every time you buy a CD instead of sending the money to charity, you're killing someone - you murderer, you.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 12:30
I generally read about it, make a mental note and buy it once it pops up in front of me. I've already got a bit of music anyhow and, unlike the degenerate download crowd that blindly steals out of sheer selfishness, instant gratification doesn't factor in to my calculations.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 10:57
The fact is, if you really WANT something it can be gotten very quickly in a number of fashions, both legal and dubious. So it really is more of a matter of HOW BADLY one wants a thing than the simple fact of the wanting to get it. For me it more about economics, if I can afford to invest in it I'll order it in from a local shop or from an online source. Most stuff I prefer to listen to is most likely considered import music and won't be found on the shelf as a matter of course. Most classic prog material these days is in the form of "Best of's" and finding full albums is not the norm. I see that Yes has a new one coming out, if I see it on the shelf and it's reasonably priced I'll pick it up. If it's more that $15, I'll probably pass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>