Topic ClosedRandy Rhoads and the Feedback Factor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Randy Rhoads and the Feedback Factor
    Posted: May 29 2011 at 22:40
I think most of us who've been listening to hardrock and metal long enough realize what an impact Randall Rhoads had on rock guitar playing during his brief time with us, in certain ways practically inventing the modern approach to metal rhythm methods and certainly contributing to the growth of Progressive Metal, particularly with an album as Diary of a Madman.

After many years of listening and viewing Rhoads play and rehearse with Ozzy, I come to wonder if one of the reasons he began filling his rhythm playing with his distinctive up/down strumming, as well as his inspired lead fills, might be because of the incredible power of the amps he was using and volume he set in order to achieve that big foamy sound and ample sustain.  I mean the feedback and extraneous noise must've been almost uncontrollable and this is quite evident in the rehearsal footage seen of the band in a small studio space between the first two albums.  The only real way for him at that time to have such a huge sound and also prevent feedback would've been by keeping in hand contact with the guitar, or better yet actually playing it.

So my question is do our guitarists here think it's possible that a major factor in Randy Rhoads' innovative technique and playing style was born of necessity with the reality of having monster amps and an MXR Distortion+ box ?

cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 05:02
I saw Rhandy play 30 years ago on the Blizzard Of Oz tour here in Victoria. Motorhead was the opener and they were so damn loud that distortion and feedback were bouncing off everywhere in the old arena(now since has been torn down) with it's bad acoustics. Painful.

I think Rhoads pick up on this and turned it down a bit. He was amazing. Fluid, clean, no distortion or feedback. I saw EVH play around the same time. Compared to Rhoads he was sloppy.

Not being a guitar player, I can't really answer your question in regards to the equipment he was using. I'm just going on from what I heard. I had tickets to see him and Ozzy for the Diary Of The Madman tour but that friggin' plane crash. I still think where he would be today. The improvement from his days in Quiet Riot in a few short years to his days with Ozzy was huge.
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 07:02
I reckon he was trying to fill out the sound because there was no rhythm guitarist, using fills, etc.... he was a superb guitarist IMO regardless, unfortunately I never got the chance to see him live.
Tony C.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 08:12
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 17:52
Originally posted by clarkpegasus4001 clarkpegasus4001 wrote:

I reckon he was trying to fill out the sound because there was no rhythm guitarist, using fills, etc.

to be sure, but it sounds like more than that

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 17:55
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

read this interview http://www.ultimaterhoads.com/viewtopic.php?t=2144

great interview, a lot of insight and it confirms my suspicions about his approach to playing rhythm in that band

Post Reply Post Reply