Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queensryche vs. Pain of Salvation
    Posted: November 04 2011 at 09:07
meh vs meh
Prog On!
ppl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 09:04
Operation Mindcrime was,is and surely will be the BEST prog metal album..and remember it was releashed in 1988 holy mother of god..what to say?
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2011 at 20:02
Apart from Operation Mindcrime, I didn't really get much into Queensryche. They don't sound particularly prog to me (not that I don't listen to other forms of music besides prog). 

POS I like. They may have had a few missteps recently, but most of their output has been really rather good. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 21:27
Queensryche for me.

I remember when I was only 12 years, it was 1986 and appears the album "Rage for Order", was undoubtedly an album ahead of its time, personally i recomend it.
They forged a scene with Fates Warning, Heir Apparent, Mekong Delta, Wachtower and few others.
If you want to hear excellent live band listen "Operation Livecrime", i prefer that album over Mindcrime.
POS its a great band too, but i prefer the band form Seattle´.

Sorry for my english

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 21:15
double post, sorry

Edited by Progmind - June 04 2011 at 21:28
kawkaw123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 10:52
POS Queensryche  only had one good album in my mind.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 09:53
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Never really found Queensryche particularly progressive so PoS is the obvious choice for me.

qft
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 09:09
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Mixed views on both bands. QR blended Rush with Iron Maiden to make the prototype of prog metal as we know it but barring some songs like Sister Suite Mary, I don't find their music all that interesting or that much of a departure even from heavy metal.  I have often heard them described as "thinking man's metal" but in all honesty, Sabbath's daring musical adventures on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath make me think a lot more than either of these bands. The Rush-like precision doesn't really disguise the prominent Maiden influence in their music. AND Iron Maiden themselves have some Rush influences so QR is more like a logical next step than a radical departure for me, but with the over conscious, calculated delivery that for some reason is so sought after in prog metal. 

Coming to PoS, though, they do a lot of things right and in spite of that I did not like their last two albums, they remain one of the most promising prog metal outfits.  What I don't like so much about PoS is how much they favour abrupt transitions.  I don't mind abrupt transitions as a surprise element and especially if it makes sense taken in context of the further development of the music. But for PoS it is almost a staple, especially on Entropia and Concrete Lake albums.  This problem is more or less overcome on Perfect Element I and it is also quite an emotional album and for that album alone, they comfortably get my vote over Queensryche.  TPE is in many ways the kind of prog metal I really dig and would like to hear more of but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of it that at least I have heard of.  

In a way, I agree with you. I'll never forget Operation Mindcrime - it got to me when I was in a clouded stage of youth. But TPE is a world all its own. Personally, when it comes to new prog metal, I go for Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend, and Ayreon (sometimes Opeth, too). Terria is a very emotional album for me, but in a very different state of mind (it's hardly "metal").
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 02:02
Mixed views on both bands. QR blended Rush with Iron Maiden to make the prototype of prog metal as we know it but barring some songs like Sister Suite Mary, I don't find their music all that interesting or that much of a departure even from heavy metal.  I have often heard them described as "thinking man's metal" but in all honesty, Sabbath's daring musical adventures on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath make me think a lot more than either of these bands. The Rush-like precision doesn't really disguise the prominent Maiden influence in their music. AND Iron Maiden themselves have some Rush influences so QR is more like a logical next step than a radical departure for me, but with the over conscious, calculated delivery that for some reason is so sought after in prog metal. 

Coming to PoS, though, they do a lot of things right and in spite of that I did not like their last two albums, they remain one of the most promising prog metal outfits.  What I don't like so much about PoS is how much they favour abrupt transitions.  I don't mind abrupt transitions as a surprise element and especially if it makes sense taken in context of the further development of the music. But for PoS it is almost a staple, especially on Entropia and Concrete Lake albums.  This problem is more or less overcome on Perfect Element I and it is also quite an emotional album and for that album alone, they comfortably get my vote over Queensryche.  TPE is in many ways the kind of prog metal I really dig and would like to hear more of but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of it that at least I have heard of.  
Purple_Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 13:42
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Oh I got no problem with you. You say you haven't heard much from QR. You love Pain of Salvation (so does I). I gotta recommend Promised Land - one of the darkest albums I've ever heard. By dark I don't mean black metalish, either. It's closer to The Perfect Element.

Thumbs Up
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 12:12
Originally posted by Purple_Floyd Purple_Floyd wrote:

Finally, both groups returned to their influences for guidance in treading the future (Road Salt One/Take Cover). 

Road Salt One is nowhere near a return to roots; I see nothing in common between it and Entropia. Entropia is a nice metal-opera concept album, if a thad too heavy for my taste, while RSO is completly new, simple, lacking of any depth and awful style, which I believe is a shame considering their 3 masterpieces (TPE, Remedy Lane and "BE") they released before.

I don't know much about QR. I like Mindcrime I & II, but it's not in my a favorite.

POS for sure.

By 'roots' I meant 'influences'. Take Cover has nothing to do with Rage for Order. It has to do with what influenced them. Christ, this wasn't meant to be taken like a f**kin' master's degree thesis, ya tightass b*****ds. I never said there weren't differences. It's just like half this community to hear someone say 'a cat got run over' and reply: 'No, I disagree, it committed suicide, you foolish nincompoop'. 

Yeah, sorry, I misinterpreted what you said. I just wanted to express my hate for this album but just sounded rude in doing so.

Oh I got no problem with you. You say you haven't heard much from QR. You love Pain of Salvation (so does I). I gotta recommend Promised Land - one of the darkest albums I've ever heard. By dark I don't mean black metalish, either. It's closer to The Perfect Element.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:53

Finally, both groups returned to their influences for guidance in treading the future (Road Salt One/Take Cover). 

Road Salt One is nowhere near a return to roots; I see nothing in common between it and Entropia. Entropia is a nice metal-opera concept album, if a thad too heavy for my taste, while RSO is completly new, simple, lacking of any depth and awful style, which I believe is a shame considering their 3 masterpieces (TPE, Remedy Lane and "BE") they released before.

I don't know much about QR. I like Mindcrime I & II, but it's not in my a favorite.

POS for sure.

By 'roots' I meant 'influences'. Take Cover has nothing to do with Rage for Order. It has to do with what influenced them. Christ, this wasn't meant to be taken like a f**kin' master's degree thesis, ya tightass b*****ds. I never said there weren't differences. It's just like half this community to hear someone say 'a cat got run over' and reply: 'No, I disagree, it committed suicide, you foolish nincompoop'. 

Yeah, sorry, I misinterpreted what you said. I just wanted to express my hate for this album but just sounded rude in doing so.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:45

POS for sure.

By 'roots' I meant 'influences'. Take Cover has nothing to do with Rage for Order. It has to do with what influenced them. 
Road Salt One was a tribute to 1970's prog rock and Led Zeppelin. 

Christ, this wasn't meant to be taken like a master's degree thesis, ya tightasses. I never said there weren't differences. It's just like half this community to hear someone say 'a cat got run over' and reply: 'No, I disagree, it committed suicide, you foolish nincompoop'. 

Edited by Alitare - June 03 2011 at 11:50
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:03

POS for sure.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:55
Pain of Salvation 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:47

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I dont agree with your analasis. PoS started off very strong and then got even better, with TPE being the best album of all time (IMO, of course), then started to experiment with their sound quite a lot from BE onwards. And political themes have always been in their music.

Queensryche started off solid if unspectaculer on the EP and then improved from their until their classic Mindcrime album, but have been complete rubbish since Promised Land, there has been no return to form for them.

Also, compositionally Pain of Salvation are a huge jump ahead of QR so its got to be PoS by a light year.

I never once meant compositionally. I also never said the debuts of either outright sucked. It's just a given that Mindcrime and TPE were the critical favorites and both were the groups' third album or so. I never said they had the SAME experimental sound - I'm saying they took contemporary influences. Hear in the Now took alt rock and grunge. Scarsick took rap and what have you - both were received poorly. Read between the lines and don't make brash assumptions due to your singular opinion, goddamn it.

You're asking which I prefer so that last line answers the question and gives my reason why, goddamn it.

I was pointing out where your comparison wasnt exactly true, and is actually rather vague once you look past the coincidence that they both have their most critically aclaimed album as their third (which is not strictly true either, its 50/50 between TPE and Remedy Lane). Its also worth noting that Queensryche built on top of what the NWOBHM bands had accomplished whilst PoS appeared at a time when DT clones where starting to crawl out of the woodwork and did something very different to just about everybody else.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:35
PoS by a hundred thousand miles. And personally I don't think they "dropped the ball" on Scarsick at all. Love that album Thumbs Up
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:28
PoS. Queensryche is not good, nor are they prog.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:15
You have to remember, there was no prog metal when Queensryche came up. It was Maiden and Priest and the EP was actually very very good in the crowd of NWOBHM imitators. Warning and Rage for Order are very good albums, and "proggier" than any of their kin.

Dream Theater had already broke by the time of PoS ascendance, and of more obviously PoS built on what Queensryche started.

I've said this a thousand times, but the Dream Theater sound was not that unique when they came up. They combined the shredder guitar movement (which was very popular with many many albums) and combined some Maiden, some glam, and a little Rush just at the time grunge was breaking. Those of us who didn't like the turn toward simplification of rock jumped aboard because we had a new band pushing in the direction we liked while everyone else was jumping ship.

Listen to Yngwie Malmsteen's first four albums from which Symphony X stole directly. The whole idea that DT created prog metal will dissolve a little.

PoS is great because they made conceptual music that did not depend on the shred metal formulas. They got much of that from Queensryche.

I realize that now that other bands have moved past, it doesn't inspire younger fans. That's fine. I don't like Pet Sounds that much. But no Pet Sounds, no Sgt Pepper. I think this might be a similar phenomenon.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:03
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I dont agree with your analasis. PoS started off very strong and then got even better, with TPE being the best album of all time (IMO, of course), then started to experiment with their sound quite a lot from BE onwards. And political themes have always been in their music.

Queensryche started off solid if unspectaculer on the EP and then improved from their until their classic Mindcrime album, but have been complete rubbish since Promised Land, there has been no return to form for them.

Also, compositionally Pain of Salvation are a huge jump ahead of QR so its got to be PoS by a light year.

I never once meant compositionally. I also never said the debuts of either outright sucked. It's just a given that Mindcrime and TPE were the critical favorites and both were the groups' third album or so. I never said they had the SAME experimental sound - I'm saying they took contemporary influences. Hear in the Now took alt rock and grunge. Scarsick took rap and what have you - both were received poorly. Read between the lines and don't make brash assumptions due to your singular opinion, goddamn it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>