34 [62.96%]
20 [37.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queensryche vs. Pain of Salvation
    Posted: June 01 2011 at 23:48
To me, no two bands can be favorably compared like Pain of Salvation and Queensryche. Both bands began as minor outfits reflecting their music interests at the time (Queensryche EP/Entropia) while injecting them with unsubtle political themes (Concrete lake/Rage for Order), then both landed a creative peak in the middle of their career with progressive metal albums that have been hailed as critical masterpieces in the form of concept albums (Operation: Mindcrime/The Perfect Element), and both dropped the ball when they introduced more contemporary elements into their sound (Hear in the Now Frontier/Scarsick). Finally, both groups returned to their influences for guidance in treading the future (Road Salt One/Take Cover). 

Both groups were gritty, dark, hateful, critical, and suitably heavy. Neither group partook in shred metal. Both had striking lead vocalists with massive ranges. Both groups had a heavy theatrical edge, both groups had a tribal feel to their drumming. More than often I've heard folks say 'Pain of Salvation picked up where Queensryche left off'. My question to you is what do you think of these similarities? Which group do you prefer and why?

Personally, no rock or metal album influenced me as much as Operation: Mindcrime except maybe Dark side of the Moon. I can't help but prefer Queensryche. I see the peak for QR being Mindcrime, Emipre, and Promised Land, while I'm hesitant to put Be on the same level as Remedy Lane or Element. And in my heart Promised Land takes the wind outta anything Pain of Salvation did when it comes to inner turmoil. Tate screaming 'Why am I?' on the title track has always sent chills down my spine. I love both groups. I don't worship either. 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 00:57
Queensryche by far, I'm not a fan of POS music, even I like some of their albums specialy Element. So Operation mindcrime , Empire and their most underrated album Rage for order, all 3 are killers.. what was release after Promised land is questionable one way or another but not bad after all.
TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 02:55
PoS all the way. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 05:37
Never really found Queensryche particularly progressive so PoS is the obvious choice for me.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 07:43
PoS by far.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 07:52
Mindcrime remains the best prog metal album of all time despite many many attempts, several of the best being by PoS.

After QR dropped the ball, PoS was there picking it up. Glad we have both.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 08:27
where is the   'not into either of them' option ?

:)
Prog On!
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 08:48
QR have one great album.

PoS have more than that.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 08:58
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

QR have one great album.

PoS have more than that.

I tend to agree.  And I think I prefer PoS' best (Remedy Lane) over QR's best (Operation:Mindcrime).  Perfect Element and Be are also outstanding, making Pain of Salvation the easy choice for me since I don't care for anything else from Queensryche (maybe Empire if I'm in the right mood).
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Mindcrime remains the best prog metal album of all time despite many many attempts, several of the best being by PoS.

After QR dropped the ball, PoS was there picking it up. Glad we have both.

I agree with you completely.

What fascinates me, though, is how their careers arc in nearly identical fashions. They're both still making music, though QR never were the same when DeGarmo left. I still enjoy Mindcrime part II far more than the consensus of it tends to be. It's great! It's just rotten hogsh*t when compared to the first installment, is all. 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 11:54
Pain of salvation!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 11:56
I guess QR, having made Operation: Mindcrime are the lesser of two evils
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 12:39
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I guess QR, having made Operation: Mindcrime are the lesser of two evils
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 06:31
I dont agree with your analasis. PoS started off very strong and then got even better, with TPE being the best album of all time (IMO, of course), then started to experiment with their sound quite a lot from BE onwards. And political themes have always been in their music.

Queensryche started off solid if unspectaculer on the EP and then improved from their until their classic Mindcrime album, but have been complete rubbish since Promised Land, there has been no return to form for them.

Also, compositionally Pain of Salvation are a huge jump ahead of QR so its got to be PoS by a light year.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:03
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I dont agree with your analasis. PoS started off very strong and then got even better, with TPE being the best album of all time (IMO, of course), then started to experiment with their sound quite a lot from BE onwards. And political themes have always been in their music.

Queensryche started off solid if unspectaculer on the EP and then improved from their until their classic Mindcrime album, but have been complete rubbish since Promised Land, there has been no return to form for them.

Also, compositionally Pain of Salvation are a huge jump ahead of QR so its got to be PoS by a light year.

I never once meant compositionally. I also never said the debuts of either outright sucked. It's just a given that Mindcrime and TPE were the critical favorites and both were the groups' third album or so. I never said they had the SAME experimental sound - I'm saying they took contemporary influences. Hear in the Now took alt rock and grunge. Scarsick took rap and what have you - both were received poorly. Read between the lines and don't make brash assumptions due to your singular opinion, goddamn it.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:15
You have to remember, there was no prog metal when Queensryche came up. It was Maiden and Priest and the EP was actually very very good in the crowd of NWOBHM imitators. Warning and Rage for Order are very good albums, and "proggier" than any of their kin.

Dream Theater had already broke by the time of PoS ascendance, and of more obviously PoS built on what Queensryche started.

I've said this a thousand times, but the Dream Theater sound was not that unique when they came up. They combined the shredder guitar movement (which was very popular with many many albums) and combined some Maiden, some glam, and a little Rush just at the time grunge was breaking. Those of us who didn't like the turn toward simplification of rock jumped aboard because we had a new band pushing in the direction we liked while everyone else was jumping ship.

Listen to Yngwie Malmsteen's first four albums from which Symphony X stole directly. The whole idea that DT created prog metal will dissolve a little.

PoS is great because they made conceptual music that did not depend on the shred metal formulas. They got much of that from Queensryche.

I realize that now that other bands have moved past, it doesn't inspire younger fans. That's fine. I don't like Pet Sounds that much. But no Pet Sounds, no Sgt Pepper. I think this might be a similar phenomenon.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:28
PoS. Queensryche is not good, nor are they prog.
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:35
PoS by a hundred thousand miles. And personally I don't think they "dropped the ball" on Scarsick at all. Love that album Thumbs Up
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I never once meant compositionally. I also never said the debuts of either outright sucked. It's just a given that Mindcrime and TPE were the critical favorites and both were the groups' third album or so. I never said they had the SAME experimental sound - I'm saying they took contemporary influences. Hear in the Now took alt rock and grunge. Scarsick took rap and what have you - both were received poorly. Read between the lines and don't make brash assumptions due to your singular opinion, goddamn it.

You're asking which I prefer so that last line answers the question and gives my reason why, goddamn it.

I was pointing out where your comparison wasnt exactly true, and is actually rather vague once you look past the coincidence that they both have their most critically aclaimed album as their third (which is not strictly true either, its 50/50 between TPE and Remedy Lane). Its also worth noting that Queensryche built on top of what the NWOBHM bands had accomplished whilst PoS appeared at a time when DT clones where starting to crawl out of the woodwork and did something very different to just about everybody else.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:55
Pain of Salvation 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>