Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Opeth - Heritage | Opeth's 2nd non-metal album!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOpeth - Heritage | Opeth's 2nd non-metal album!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 23:11
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

I listen to many kinds of music. I don't have this problem. But for me a work is incomplete if it doesn't have the hate and the anger of death/black metal. 

I kinda agree with you on this, but only when it comes to Opeth. They are my favorite metal band and the ones wh turned me into growling.

Still, it does sound good and I´m hoping to be proven wrong!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 01:38
Disappointed that the power of Mikael's DM vocals will be gone, but we'll get some powerful stuff in other departments, I bet. Some awesome riffs, interesting structures and a band relaxing and playing something they want to play.

Overall, sounds ace, I'm struggling to wait for September.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 01:51
It's interesting to see an album cover like this is showing some people's true colors regarding their acceptance with a  change in a band's sound or attitude. It's funny because I remember when Damnation came out, it wasn't such a big controversy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 02:43
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

It's interesting to see an album cover like this is showing some people's true colors regarding their acceptance with a  change in a band's sound or attitude. It's funny because I remember when Damnation came out, it wasn't such a big controversy.

Yeah, I agree. It seems as though it's often the case that as fans, we feel a kind of disturbing ownership of a band, and that we feel any perceived betrayal of Form/Direction/Change in a highly personal way.

On one hand, at least we love the band/music enough to commit to some emotional investment. On the other, I imagine it's far more respectful toward the band to relax, sit back and see where they take you, and be happy for them for trying new things, for challenging themselves and doing something they want to do.
JazzMusicArchives.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 02:48
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah, I agree. It seems as though it's often the case that as fans, we feel a kind of disturbing ownership of a band, and that we feel any perceived betrayal of Form/Direction/Change in a highly personal way.

On one hand, at least we love the band/music enough to commit to some emotional investment. On the other, I imagine it's far more respectful toward the band to relax, sit back and see where they take you, and be happy for them for trying new things, for challenging themselves and doing something they want to do.

I think it's great what they're doing. I, for example, haven't cared for the band much since around 2006, and I used to be a big fan of their music. My tastes changed dramatically, and even when Watershed came out, I was ho-hum about it. This has recaptured my interest, and I can see why MA has decided to do what he wants to do. I respect him for that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 02:55

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

I think it's great what they're doing. I, for example, haven't cared for the band much since around 2006, and I used to be a big fan of their music. My tastes changed dramatically, and even when Watershed came out, I was ho-hum about it. This has recaptured my interest, and I can see why MA has decided to do what he wants to do. I respect him for that.

Yeah. I have less favourites on Watershed than say, 'Ghost' or 'Blackwater' and am really interested to hear this one, and even the cover and the tiny amount of info we have has really sparked my interest too.
JazzMusicArchives.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 03:09

I think people complaining about the cover are complaining about it because it's a bad cover. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 03:21
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I think people complaining about the cover are complaining about it because it's a bad cover. 

I wasnt talking about the cover itself (which is what sparked this thread), but what MA and the journalist said describing the music.
Stoned420 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 03:42
This isn't remotely surprising. I'm really looking forward to this but at the same time, I agree with the couple other people about being disappointed that there will be no harsh vocals. For me it's not a matter of being closed minded, it's just a matter of LOVING his harsh vocals, and so the notion that he might continue down this path is worrisome, not because the music will be bad, because that's doubtful, but because I might not be able to hear new great death metal from Opeth again. /run on sentence

With that being said, if the next 5 or 10 albums Opeth puts out have no harsh vocals, I'm sure they will be great and that I will continue to purchase said albums, assume Opeth's passion is behind it.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 05:53
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by TheClosing TheClosing wrote:

Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

"return to form".

Translation: Appeasing the fickle fans who want a rehash of the same uninspired album over and over. Because eight albums worth of the exact same formula: DM verse into clean passage then rinse and repeat, just isn't enough. 

Suddenly, a random acoustic passage appeared.

LOL @ both of you. LOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 05:54
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I listen to many kinds of music. I don't have this problem. But for me a work is incomplete if it doesn't have the hate and the anger of death/black metal. 

I kinda agree with you on this, but only when it comes to Opeth. They are my favorite metal band and the ones wh turned me into growling.

Now you growl instead of speaking? Shocked That's awesome, I'd like to meet you. Tongue
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 06:12
^LOL

Sounds like its going to be a good album. The description makes me think of what Pain of Salvation have been doing with Road Salt, and since I really like that album I've got high hopes that Opeth can pull it off quite well too.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 09:07

Opeth's Damnation album was one of the things that brought me to this site. After immersing myself in lots of prog, it's not as powerful for me as it once was, but it's a fantastic album. I've learned to tolerate harsh vocals, even appreciate them when well placed, and Mikael is indeed one of the best at growls.

Clearly, if Black Sabbath is an obvious sound on the album, this isn't going to be Damnation 2. I'm looking forward to hearing somethign NEW from the band.

People were making light of Opeth's composition formula, but alot of their riffs also follow a certain pattern rhythmically and harmonically, which was initially uniquely Opeth, but there's only so many variations you can do. And with other bands copying the style, I can understand the need for Mikael to try something new.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 09:20
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

People were making light of Opeth's composition formula, but alot of their riffs also follow a certain pattern rhythmically and harmonically, which was initially uniquely Opeth, but there's only so many variations you can do. And with other bands copying the style, I can understand the need for Mikael to try something new.

Hey Negoba, great point - as soon as you put a sound out there that is distinctive enough to survive, it invariably becomes susceptible to the 'thinning out' process that happens when other bands imitate or incorporate that sound into their own albums. So yes indeed, probably good thinking of Mikael try and take Opeth somewhere different.
JazzMusicArchives.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 12:38
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Now you growl instead of speaking? Shocked That's awesome, I'd like to meet you. Tongue

LOL

ups
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 22:49
I'm really interested in this new album. I have come to enjoy some Opeth, but I don't really like growling, and so far haven't come to understand all this love towards Opeth's growling... I have heard some other bands that use growling, and I find Opeth's ones even less tolerable than other's... I guess that's the reason I have come to enjoy Wathershed quiet a bit. As for Damnation, I found it too soft, and so far haven't come to like it so much, I would have liked it to have some metal. As for the album cover, I do find it somewhat good... though a bit disturbing.

Edited by Dellinger - June 08 2011 at 22:18
moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 12:18

The album cover is LOL! 

Are the band member's heads supposed to be forbidden fruit?  Temptation?  Is listening to Opeth the first and original sin?   If so, I'm going to hell.

Looking forward to the album.

Edited by moe_blunts - June 05 2011 at 12:20
(De)progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:05
Can't wait to hear it. Damnation was no masterpiece if we think it as a prog rock album, but it was the closest thing a by a progressive death metal band. It was a milestone in music, as well as Tiamat's Wildhoney. I loved Watershed also, but this album feels like a coming suprise which will have a shock effect on our face.
''Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment.'' (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Fyrus View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:32
Am I one of the few that thought Damnation was one of Opeth's weaker albums?

And I am in no way a fan of death metal and such... Opeth is the only band with growling I can stand :p

Damnation just didn't seem like Opeth...

I don't think this new album will be like Damnation though, seems to be different.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 14:47
I'm already amused. This will be Opeth's St. Anger. Regardless of it being good/bad/different whatever, it will be the "its cool to bash Opeth" album. Hell, just the cover has people frothing at the mouth. Let the dog pile begin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>