Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any good books about Krautrock or Kosmische Musik?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny good books about Krautrock or Kosmische Musik?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 14:38
It is a breach of copyright - you have to get permission from the copyright holder, not assume it and wait until they protest. On Mr. Cope's website he explained that he didn't want it reprinted as it would only spawn another load of students copying Neu! which was something he did not want on his conscienceSick

Krautrock: Cosmic Rock and its Legacy is worth having though, it covers different groups and has some interesting articles about the German music scene in general by different authors. And nice pictures.Cool

Mr James View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2012 at 16:29
I actually got the local library to get this book.

Nikos Kotsopoulos " Krautrock: cosmic rock & its legacy " is NOT a discography of bands. If your after a listing of rare Kraut then forget this book. Its all about the history & the scene with many articles taken direct.

Goes into some depth about where it all started: Zodiac Free Arts Lab '68 Cologne.

There is a review at nudebooks.co.uk
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 14:48
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

It is a breach of copyright - you have to get permission from the copyright holder, not assume it and wait until they protest. On Mr. Cope's website he explained that he didn't want it reprinted as it would only spawn another load of students copying Neu! which was something he did not want on his conscienceSick

Personally, I find Julian's fake-psycho-stoned-image wording and reviews rather boring.

I do appreciate his liking some of this stuff, but when you hear what he does, by GOD, I want my NEU back and NOW!

I think of him as someone trying to be hip and gathering fans to sell his own material. I'm ok with that on his own work, but trying to come off like the spokes-person for "krautrock" is something that he is not, unless he was there during the time and was also getting stoned and partying and screwing the girls over there ... because it was all such a trip and NY was a downer by comparison! I mean you had Iggy and the Stooges -- really inspiration astuff for your balls --- or Lou Reed --- so inspiring that sometimes you want to get mad at him, or do some more Mary Jane! --- you know the drill ... !!! It was so romantic ... and you really wanted to have some .... fun ... he's very NY'ish if you ask me.

But yeah ... if there is one thing we could use right now is a nice mix of Neu and metal ... to help free up some of the over rated lyrics, and that overego thing that because it sells in NY, or London, the whole world has to eat it! It's a number thing ... becauase more read it makes it more important and the rest is stupid!

We need to get better than that! And so does Julian with his quasi-fake-plasticpeacesign-bullpuckypoop-idea of "krautrock".

Edited by moshkito - January 10 2012 at 15:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 19:49
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

If anyone's interested, here's a link to a free .pdf download of Julian Cope's Krautrocksampler:

It's hard to read in places (looks like it was scanned in a hurry), and one page is actually  missing, but it's still a great read. I wish Head Heritage would reissue it already..!

Happy Holidays

Is Julian Cope a prog artist?

if so he is not on the archives...

just wondering nothing more

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2012 at 20:44
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

If anyone's interested, here's a link to a free .pdf download of Julian Cope's Krautrocksampler:

It's hard to read in places (looks like it was scanned in a hurry), and one page is actually  missing, but it's still a great read. I wish Head Heritage would reissue it already..!

Happy Holidays

Don't know much about Julian Cope, but read a pretty good  review he did of krautrock band German Oak (not sure if it is part of his book?)
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 13:25
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Er, no - I daren't repeat what he said about ELP, Yes and Pink Floyd on the inside coverOuch
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2012 at 13:46
^He isnīt even in the vicinity of Krautrock. He may have pre dated the whole Madchester sound with a couple of years - if not 10, and while his music contains certain psychedelic aspects and the odd experiments in sound - I think heīs much more of a straight up rock nī roller with a touch of punk over him.
If he got included in letīs say Krautrock - then weīd be opening the floodgates for a wide variety bands such as Blur - just because they made 13 and itīs experimental and includes those little toy keyboards.
I like Julian Cope, but I think heīd be the first to cut himself down as a bonafide Krautrocker. He certainly isnīt. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2012 at 03:44
Here is a collection of reviews published by Soundprojector magazine. Free download of ebook:
http://www.thesoundprojector.com/downloads/krautrock-kompendium/

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 02:50

The crack in the cosmic eggis a reference book,   unfortunatly sold out to my knowledge.

Interesting link related:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/krautrockers.html

Edited by oliverstoned - April 06 2012 at 02:51
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 03:39
you can now buy The Crack....as a cd-rom from the same site!!! i did, and it came with 2 free cds ov kraut!!! and the cd-rom is crazy overloaded with other stuff like mp3s and videos.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2012 at 11:04
ĻA book about Kosmiche turned to a true multimedia item? That's what I call "being on the subject"!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 12:07

Er, no - I daren't repeat what he said about ELP, Yes and Pink Floyd on the inside coverOuch

That would be easy ... "it's pretentious crap" ... I can hear it now!

And the reason for it, is simpler still ... Lou Reed was already the GOD in New York, plus a few bands that sold a few more disks than a million ... according to Patti Smith, you could not even say anything bad about God because it meant your career was over. New York, regardless of what the situation is, is still ruled by mafias and bosses ... and many of these odd bands are just oddities passing by.

My understanding has always been that the old lords to ever take NY by storm was Led Zeppelin, and then it was because they had the better looking (and more expensive) leather and whips to subjugate the NY fans and audiences!  Wink

Paris and London, and even Tokyo have a lot more respect for the arts and the different things than NY does, or ever will have! In many ways, of all the major arts centers in the world, NY is not the number one. I would say London has been 1 for many years, with Paris close behind it. NY would probably rank behind, and under, SF and Los Angeles for that matter!

Edited by moshkito - May 24 2012 at 12:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 16:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

That would be easy ... "it's pretentious crap" ... I can hear it now!

And the reason for it, is simpler still ... Lou Reed was already the GOD in New York, plus a few bands that sold a few more disks than a million ... according to Patti Smith, you could not even say anything bad about God because it meant your career was over. New York, regardless of what the situation is, is still ruled by mafias and bosses ... and many of these odd bands are just oddities passing by.

My understanding has always been that the old lords to ever take NY by storm was Led Zeppelin, and then it was because they had the better looking (and more expensive) leather and whips to subjugate the NY fans and audiences!  Wink

Paris and London, and even Tokyo have a lot more respect for the arts and the different things than NY does, or ever will have! In many ways, of all the major arts centers in the world, NY is not the number one. I would say London has been 1 for many years, with Paris close behind it. NY would probably rank behind, and under, SF and Los Angeles for that matter!
^That's interesting. Even the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, i have heard, is notorious for being hard to please and hard to deal with, if you are a conductor.
In Prog We Trust View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 17:37
Thanks for tip on Philippe's book.  I found it for $8.99 on iBooks if you have iPad, etc from Apple.

The Cosmic Dreams by Asbjornsen is probably my favorite book.  I found it in a cool music shop, Ear Xstacy, in Louisville, KY.  I find his recommendations fairly spot on if you favor the symphonic or psychedelic sub genres.  This book is going to be tough to find at a reasonable price.  I wish this one would be put in CD-Rom version.

I will check out the Freeman CD-Rom, I have the book but sounds like a worthy addition to my library.

In Prog We Trust
In Prog We Trust View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 17:53
Sorry, forgot one other mention.  I found Archie Patterson's book in kindle version from Amazon for $9.99.  They also list a paperback version but I have been going digital when I can.  Plug in Archie Patterson into search box and kindle version is in short list.  Hope this helps.

It would be interesting so see what each person who has posted on this topic ranks as their top 5 favorite Krautrock groups.

My top 5
1. Tangerine Dream
2. Eloy
3. Gila
4. Wallenstein
5.  Novalis
Ancient Tree View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 02:44

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 09:47
Originally posted by In Prog We Trust In Prog We Trust wrote:

Sorry, forgot one other mention.  I found Archie Patterson's book in kindle version from Amazon for $9.99.  They also list a paperback version but I have been going digital when I can.  Plug in Archie Patterson into search box and kindle version is in short list.  Hope this helps.

If Archie includes his own story in LA selling imports and being a part of that whole area's thing, it would be one of the more massive, and important histories of progressive music in the West Coast ... I doubt that many folks would have as much information, stories and knowledge, than him. In those days, most of these were "imports" and Archie was a part of a record company bringing these in and distributing them, if I specified it correctly.

The other person is Guy Guden, but his star-shine is smelly and he is not interested in sharing it with anyone, because it doesn't fit/feed his star-ego. He is occasionally posting here as blubberfish or something like it, and his disguise is very thin ... but he won't talk about it, because it "lessens" his fame and story and work! Guy, however, did his greatest work in this area from Santa Barbara, though, and that was not quite the major areas, but some of the things that happened there, while Guy fought for a job, and not have to work in a liquor store to support the "import" addiction that we had.

Archie, however, always been quiet and ProgArchives is not capable of interviewing him about it ... though I really think that adding Archie's perspectives would be nice ... with one problem ... PA does not have a "historical" perspective area, despite my requests, to help define the word and its ideas and possibilities ... and that "historical" perspective is the problem with a "database" of something ... that is no longer possible to organize. Thus, Archie, like most anything I state and write here, will end up being ignored and not be valuable, when the content of it is much more important as a historical document -- than your or mine opinion ... with one difference ... the clarity of the perspective above it is non-existent.

I would like to see a "historical" perspective area, where we can discuss a lot of things in many places around the world ... but I think database folks are scared that it would deteriorate into a political mish-mash ... instead of a pizza and Doctor Pepper mish-mash!

Edited by moshkito - January 15 2013 at 09:54
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 09:49
I think the database folks couldn't give a flying duck about anything but  the music. We're not an encyclopedia.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 10:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I think the database folks couldn't give a flying duck about anything but  the music. We're not an encyclopedia.

Case closed ... I already knew your answer, but you, too, have some wonderful stories and experiences ... btw! You would make a better book than some of these gobos! At least your London would be thorough!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 10:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Case closed ... I already knew your answer, but you, too, have some wonderful stories and experiences ... btw! You would make a better book than some of these gobos! At least your London would be thorough!
Meh, probably not. Just finish your book Pedro so we can read it before we shrug off this mortal coil.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>