Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Official Phish Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official Phish Appreciation Thread
    Posted: June 10 2011 at 11:47
Since every Phish thread here is locked, I figured I'd start a new one. I'm actually going to see them tonight in Camden, NJ for the first time EVER!!! I'm very excited, and have been listening to a lot of their music lately. Anyway this is the place for Phish discussions, and I know there's some fans here that come out of the wood work once in a while. So have at it Smile

Edited by darkshade - June 10 2011 at 11:47
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 11:57
I have the album Junta, but I don't really like it more then I find it to be okey, i dunno what it is but it certainly hassent clicked yet

Edited by aginor - June 10 2011 at 11:57
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 14:54

The new thread is fine.

Old threads end to be locked automatically if they are inactive. If anyone ever wants one re-opened, just PM an admin.Wink

LandofLein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 02:45
Going to see them in San Francisco for the Outside Lands Festival in August

2 sets!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 14:47
Last night's show was absolutely amazing. The energy was intense, and most of the songs were all older songs. Fluffhead may have been the best thing to happen last night, and maybe the best version of that song Ive ever heard. Guyute and Down with Disease was really good too; I mean, the entire show was just unbelievable. 
progressivemetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2011 at 13:38
Yes.. gotta get a serving of phish every now and then..
Terrarium View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 13:48
I am a humongous Phish head. I've seen them 30 times at this point, and I will say they are one of my favorite bands. I'm not surprised at all they're underrated on here, it's a prog website, not Jambase. I've never been too into dungeons and dragons prog-rock live-in-your-grandma's-basement-playing-WOW prog like it seems so much is mentioned on here. That's the main reason, I think, Phish doesn't register, is because the Prog-rock world is all about albums, and the Phish experience cannot be experienced thru albums, but thru live shows. Same with the Grateful Dead. I was into prog-rock before jam bands. But once I gave it a solid listen, I realized how CRIMINAL it was that I wrote them off.

That was what initially kept me from listening to them. People always correlated Phish with with The Dead, obviously, but beyond the approach to music, the similarities end there. Phish is Zappa-influenced. The Gamehendge series with the dialogue in the shows was all taken from Zappa. Before Phish, Frank was the ONLY one doing that kinda stage theatrics. I think people don't wanna get into Phish cuz that means they'll hafta get into LIVE stuff, and, god forbid, leave the computer to see a concert.

Not everything Phish has done has been "prog-rock", for sure, but if you listen to the early music, like Junta, Rift, Lawn Boy, jam band is not the really the right term for it. They're long, intricate, complex, elaborate, tight compositions like David Bowie, You Enjoy Myself, Fluffhead. They're all around 20 mns long compositions. They have great artistic merit just like Yes, too. And the musicianship is phenomenal. They were one of the most important bands in the 90s, too. Trey Anastasio is an unbelievable guitarrist. And they're influenced by 70s rock. They were even the band to induct Genesis into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm not saying everyone will or should be into them on here, but I do think it's criminal that jam bands like Phish aren't even recognized on this site. That is all.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 13:49
Shouldn't this be title the Ophishal Phish Appreciation Thread? LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 22:21
Originally posted by Terrarium Terrarium wrote:

I'm not saying everyone will or should be into them on here, but I do think it's criminal that jam bands like Phish aren't even recognized on this site. That is all.

Exactly. Ive been saying for years how insane prog fans are denying themselves of Phish's music, as there is a very good chance of one enjoying them.
Terrarium View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 03:03
It's ridiculous. I blame the media. When i was in high school, i was obscessed with Pink Floyd, and other British prog bands, loved the intricate, elaborate, psychedelic type music like that. Phish was never played for me, to me, i knew not one song. The media back then used to lump them in with Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows, all the boring, bland music I was just not into back then. Once I got curious enough, and internet access, I discovered how amazing they are, and was just floored as to how I had not discovered them years before that.

The fact that Metallica is put under prog-related, and Phish is not, is just retarded. Granted, 80s Metallica albums definately ARE vaguely prog, and are masterpiece albums, to put a thrash band like them on, not Phish is just a sign of musical ignorance. Meaning people are not musically well-versed on here. Phish is far more prog-related then Metallica. 

Umphrey's McGee is another awesome band some kid mentioned on here, too, much like Phish, came out 13 years later, are big in the jam band scene, ZERO exposure in prog-rock that I know of, but they are very much prog-rock. They have more of a metal sound then Phish, they're Dream Theater nerds.
Terrarium View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 03:06
What drives me nuts isn't that people "hate" phish on here, but that they're just completely unaware.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 15:22
I first got into them in 1992, after hearing a friend's copy of "Lawn Boy".  The first two songs (Squirming Coil and Reba) actually sound a lot like Genesis songs (roughly, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight and Harold the Barrel/Firth of Fifth, respectively).  I was floored.  And then they follow those two with a purposely stupid little country tune.  this was the band for me.  I was an obsessed fan for the next six years, and saw them about 20 times during that interval.  I have many live tapes in boxes in a storage closet.  I'll pull one out every now and then.

I stopped going to see them for two reasons: first, my best friend with whom I used to attend all the shows moved out of state; second, it just wasn't the same once they hit big outdoor venues.  I know that sounds bitchy, but it simply wasn't as much fun any more. 

On top of that, they had been gradually moving away from the complex progressive compositions that were their bread and butter up through '93-ish (when "Hoist" came out and signaled a new era for Phish).  Although their early stuff like "You Enjoy Myself" (their most oft-performed piece of all time) still forms the meat of their sets to this day, I've just lost track of their newer material so I'm not as up to speed when listening to live shows (and it does help to be familiar with the songs).

I'm not complaining, or even saying it's not good, it's just that the band has evolved and so have I. Our "sweet spot" was the early to mid 90s, and although I look back in fondness at that time, I realize I can't ever re-live it.  I do still enjoy listening to them now and then, particularly the real early stuff.  The Colorado '88 3 disc set is excellent for that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by Terrarium Terrarium wrote:

It's ridiculous. I blame the media. When i was in high school, i was obscessed with Pink Floyd, and other British prog bands, loved the intricate, elaborate, psychedelic type music like that. Phish was never played for me, to me, i knew not one song. The media back then used to lump them in with Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows, all the boring, bland music I was just not into back then. Once I got curious enough, and internet access, I discovered how amazing they are, and was just floored as to how I had not discovered them years before that.

The fact that Metallica is put under prog-related, and Phish is not, is just retarded. Granted, 80s Metallica albums definately ARE vaguely prog, and are masterpiece albums, to put a thrash band like them on, not Phish is just a sign of musical ignorance. Meaning people are not musically well-versed on here. Phish is far more prog-related then Metallica. 

Umphrey's McGee is another awesome band some kid mentioned on here, too, much like Phish, came out 13 years later, are big in the jam band scene, ZERO exposure in prog-rock that I know of, but they are very much prog-rock. They have more of a metal sound then Phish, they're Dream Theater nerds.

Agreed with everything; except Phish ARE under prog-related. However, Ive been trying to get them moved to a legitimate prog sub-genre, but every thread I start on it barely gets noticed... They're first 4 or 5 albums are very prog, and there are traces of it throughout their other albums. They also have a bunch of songs that are very prog, but never made it onto an official studio album, though they are played live often. And don't even get me started on the experimentation during many of their shows.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:08
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

On top of that, they had been gradually moving away from the complex progressive compositions that were their bread and butter up through '93-ish (when "Hoist" came out and signaled a new era for Phish).  Although their early stuff like "You Enjoy Myself" (their most oft-performed piece of all time) still forms the meat of their sets to this day, I've just lost track of their newer material so I'm not as up to speed when listening to live shows (and it does help to be familiar with the songs).

On their most recent album "Joy", they do some different things, and the album features the song "Time Turns Elastic" which is an epic, much like the older ones, featuring long complex instrumental sections, and Zappa-esque guitar riffs. There's even a couple of parts that are completely new for Phish, and make me go "wow, I can't believe this is Phish playing this" (in a good way).
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Shouldn't this be title the Ophishal Phish Appreciation Thread? Stern Smile
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

On their most recent album "Joy", they do some different things, and the album features the song "Time Turns Elastic" which is an epic, much like the older ones, featuring long complex instrumental sections, and Zappa-esque guitar riffs. There's even a couple of parts that are completely new for Phish, and make me go "wow, I can't believe this is Phish playing this" (in a good way).

Yeah, they never completely lost touch with their "prog" side, even on their newer material.  I think it was the Farmhouse album where they really lost me.  Some good songs (Heavy Things, Bug, First Tube), but just not the same band I fell in love with.  It was more like singer-songwriter roots music stuff, which isn't my bag at all.  But I think since then they've circled back a bit and played more to their strengths.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 14:59
Ah I'm sorry, I forgot this thread existed. If the mods could delete the new one I made, that'd be great

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 15:01
Ive been recently in a Phish mood (always pops up every so often), and got some new shows from the fall 97 tour 12/07/97, 12/29/97, and 12/30/97. I love this tour, and recently got the boxset that came out a couple months ago from the late November 97 shows.

Besides 97 shows, I'm also a big fan of 94, 95, and 98 shows. But from later tours, I'm a big fan of summer 2011 shows, they were really on a roll last summer, and I can't wait til they come back this summer.

What are your favorite songs? I of course am very much a fan of any of their proggy songs, like You Enjoy Myself, David Bowie, Reba (My absolute favorite), etc. But I also like Llama, Tube, Sand, First Tube, Golgi Apparatus, and Rift. But there's so many, I love most of them.

Their most recent album had a new epic called Time Turns Elastic. Some have mixed feeling about it, but I think it's one of their best songs in a while.

Edited by darkshade - May 10 2012 at 15:02
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 15:33
Ah, the Phish thread.

I'll have to check to see if I have any Fall 1997 shows, I probably do, and I'll re-visit them. 

I think the peak of my Phishing days was three consecutive shows at the Fox Theater (Atlanta) in November 1995. What a nice run that was.  I think most of my 20-odd shows happened in either '94 or '95.  The most memorable single show was Halloween 1996, when they played the Remain in Light album.  Unbelievable.

I've been keeping an eye on setlists in recent years, and they're quite impressive.  I even saw a clip on Youtube of them playing one of Mike's old self-recorded 4-track songs from "The White Tape", from back before Phish even existed.  That's digging deep for you.

Quick top 10 songs, no order:
(I won't include Y.E.M. as I think I've maxed out on that one)

Run Like an Antelope << prob my quintessential favorite
Punch You in the Eye/Landlady
Divided Sky
David Bowie
The Lizards
McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters
Colonel Forbin's Ascent
Theme From the Bottom
Harpua
Julius, Down With Disease, one of those

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2012 at 16:54
^ Hey yea, 94 and 95 Phish is them at their peak in terms of performance and energy. I just love the fall 97 shows for the 'cow funk' and the loose jazzy feel, of course the real jazzy Phish comes from the 89-91 eras.

I'd say check out 06/10/2011 for a really great show from recent shows.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>