Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Winter In Eden for Symphonic, Heavy or Prog Metal?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinter In Eden for Symphonic, Heavy or Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 13:21
Originally posted by Richie Music Man Richie Music Man wrote:

I think this is just getting silly.

You've made your point.  I've noticed that you are now gunning for the band.  This forum is nothing to do with them so its not their fault they have been rightly or wrongly been posted here.

I think you're quotes are also bias.  When making quotes to back up your argument please do not trunkate them to put a negative or positive slant to bolster your opinion.  The full quote from Rocktopia is,

"I still remember initially giving this a quick audition in the company of our esteemed editor and his comment “they will be positively dangerous if they could write a decent chorus” continues to flay me after giving the album more than half a dozen listens – because this CD is absolutely dripping with warm, gorgeous melodies, stunning arrangements and a quintessential flair"

I think that is a little different  to "they can't write  a decent chorus",  that wasn't the opinion or intention of the reviewer.

I've only joined because I saw them at the Ravenheart Festival and they stood out head and shoulders over ther rest of the bands there.  After searching for them I came across this forum.

Prog or not, I think they are a band to watch.

It may be a band to watch, but not a band to add to a Prog site.

That's the whole point.

Iván

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2012 at 11:40
For anyone who IS watching this band (and that definitely includes me Embarrassed), here is a bit of an update.

On 8th August 2011 the band agreed a record deal with Independent UK-based label, Lycan Records.

Ralph Rea, Head of Lycan Records, said about the deal, "After witnessing an inspired ‘Winter in Eden’ live performance at one of last summer’s UK festivals, I knew immediately that I would love the opportunity to work with the band & look forward to a long & successful partnership".

They also agreed distribution deals last year for Germany with Progressive Promotions Records (in April), and for the USA with Sonic Cathedral (in June).

The mixing of their follow-up album to 'Awakening' (called 'Echoes Of Betrayal') was completed on 24th February 2012, and the album is officially released on Monday 23rd April. The album is available to pre-order now from the Winter In Eden Online Store: http://www.winterineden.com/Store.htm.

On 4th March 2012 they were nominated for 'Best New Band' for the Classic Rock Society awards (the honour eventually went to 'Concrete Lake', led by 'The Tangent' guitarist Luke Machin, & who in way of celebration changed their name 10 days later to "MASCHINE"... Shocked  - guess I'll have to do a thread for them now too, since they aren't on here yet).

This Sunday (25th March) Vicky and Steve from the band will be special guests on Paul Baker's radio show from 3pm to 6pm on the award-winning arfm.co.uk. (http://www.arfm.co.uk/). This will be the first interview talking about the new album, and hopefully a track or two will be played from it...

They probably still aren't a band to add to a prog site - but you never know...the new album could be a prog masterpiece....or not, as the case may be! Tongue 

Whatever the truth, I know there are people who visit this site who enjoy this band very much, so I make no apologies for updating this thread. Their 2012 tour kicks off on 26th April at The Live Lounge in Durham, and the following day they are playing the Cambridge Rock Spring Fest at Barton, Cambridge: http://www.winterineden.com/Tour.htm.

Peace.

Edited by yam yam - March 19 2012 at 11:47
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 19:34
For what it's worth, I just received my regular email update from progrock.co.uk, run by the well-respected David Robinson of F2 Music Ltd., & from where I buy many of my CDs.
He has this to say regarding the new Winter In Eden album:

WINTER IN EDEN - Echoes Of Betrayal - GBP 9.99

Second CD playing excellent heavy Prog with great female vocals.

Just saying...!  Embarrassed

Edit:

Here are some of the tracks from the first album, since there were only two live clips included with the o.p.

(Note: the second of these tubes is almost 7 minutes long, but the track itself is only 4 minutes &18 seconds...I guess the uploader either fell asleep, or became mesmerised by the beauty of what he/she was listening to... LOL  Sorry about the 2 and a half minutes of silence at the end of this one...!)

It may not be classic prog, but it's great listening...I await the new CD eagerly! Smile

Edited by yam yam - April 07 2012 at 22:24
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

For what it's worth, I just received my regular email update from progrock.co.uk, run by the well-respected David Robinson of F2 Music Ltd., & from where I buy many of my CDs.
He has this to say regarding the new Winter In Eden album:

WINTER IN EDEN - Echoes Of Betrayal - GBP 9.99

Second CD playing excellent heavy Prog with great female vocals.

Just saying...!  Embarrassed

I know David Robinson, I was one of the first to support MAGENTA when they released their debut for F2 Records.....I still have a never released CD of MAGENTA I used for a conference in Lima, nice guy.

But....People who promote bands, will tell their audience what they want to hear.

Iván

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 21:31
Yes indeed, people who sell CD's for a living aren't generally going to write emails to customers saying they're crap! But David doesn't usually sell crap on his site. Looking beyond the artists actually signed to F2 Music (Lee Abraham, Bittertown, Citizen Cain, Credo, Ezra, Sean Filkins, Manning, Seven Day Hunt, Solstice, Steve Thorne, Tinyfish, Twelfth Night...and previously Magenta) he tends to be pretty selective regarding the CDs he stocks from other labels.
Of course, it doesn't really matter what David or anyone else says about this band - we ultimately have to listen to their recordings to understand what sort of music it is that they are playing.

So here's the first sample released from the new album...hot off the press, and less than a day old!

In 10 days time we should have a chance to hear the rest of it...! http://www.winterineden.com/wie/Store.htm.  Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 17:31
Album released today. Still waiting for my copy, but track 7, 'Lies' is available as a free download for a limited time as Classic Rock Magazine's 'track of the day' here: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/track-of-the-day-winter-in-eden/.
Have a listen and see what you think!

Sadly, the Cambridge Rock Springfest at Barton has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. However you can still see them at the Loveshack in Durham 26th April, The Wesley Centre in Rotherham on 28th April and the Asylum 2 in Birmingham on 4th May. The Bristol gig on 19th May is no longer taking place at The Spring Tavern as the venue is closing on 12th May, but the band are looking at alternative venues on 19th May in Bristol. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Album released today. Still waiting for my copy, but track 7, 'Lies' is available as a free download for a limited time as Classic Rock Magazine's 'track of the day' here: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/track-of-the-day-winter-in-eden/.
Have a listen and see what you think!

Sadly, the Cambridge Rock Springfest at Barton has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. However you can still see them at the Loveshack in Durham 26th April, The Wesley Centre in Rotherham on 28th April and the Asylum 2 in Birmingham on 4th May. The Bristol gig on 19th May is no longer taking place at The Spring Tavern as the venue is closing on 12th May, but the band are looking at alternative venues on 19th May in Bristol. Smile

Hi Yam Yam, because I respect you and I know you will accept other opinions, I'll give you mine.

IMHO it's commercial soft metal. After a pompous intro, it becomes very repetitive, they sound great, but not Prog Archives material I believe.

Also watched the video and my opinion is similar.

But it's the Prog Metal Team's decision, not mine.

Iván

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 04:35
Hi Iván.
Yes, I accept other opinions only too readily! - I am very well aware of my own limitations regarding my knowledge of prog and its sub genres, and I know Winter In Eden does not play the sort of music that is universally accepted as 'prog'. However, they do seem to have sufficient originality to me to put them in a slightly different category to the more well known female-fronted goth metal acts from the continent. I saw them play a couple of times in the English West Midlands last summer, and they put on a very convincing show indeed, which is why I have persevered with this thread up to the release of their second CD. They are generating a lot of attention in all the right places in the UK, so I thought that I should give them as much of as a chance as I could of getting their style of music accepted onto this site.
It doesn't look as though it will happen, however. Nobody within the prog community either within or outside of the UK has offered any support for the band in this thread (and it shows up very prominently in Google searches for the band), so it appears I am a lone voice, and therefore obviously mistaken in my perception of how this music relates to progressive rock.

That is often the case where something as subjective music is concerned - if you find that you really like a band or a piece of music, you perhaps tend to hear certain aspects that you would like to be present within it, which perhaps aren't. I guess this is the difference between a seasoned and well-respected music critic such as yourself, and an interested but casual listener like me, who really only puts on a CD for the enjoyment he gets out of it. I am probably not as able as some people on here to listen to my music from a purely objective perspective, and judge it accordingly, so I apologise if you feel I have pushed this topic too far.

In any event, it has probably already served its purpose. Winter In Eden have their place on Progarchives - even if it will only ever be as a controversial thread in the forums! People will be directed here from time to time, will read the debate, listen to the music in the vids that have been embedded here, and go away a happier and wiser person than they were before they dropped by.

That can't be a bad thing...can it? Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:59
I admit it was an interesting experience to listen them.

BTW: You think you have limitations, I don't, you have a lot of passion and that influences our opinions, for example, I felt tempted to support the inclusion of Meatloaf due to Bat Out of Hell because I'm a passionate fan of the Meatloaf - Steinman music, but after some time I noticed my passion for their music was clouding my opinion

But it's good, there's no music without passion (At least not great music).

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 24 2012 at 12:01

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 05:50
Well, the band are due to release their third album 'Court Of Conscience' on 8th August 2014, so since this thread is here (even if it is never likely to lead anywhere as far as inclusion of the band on PA is concerned) I see no harm in updating it.

Recorded in the Netherlands, it contains eleven songs which build and further refine the unique style that is Winter in Eden. Produced by Ruud Jolie (Within Temptation) and mixed by Stefan Helleblad (Within Temptation), it also features guest vocals by the multi award winning Damian Wilson (Threshold, Headspace, Maiden uniteD) and Jermain van der Bogt (For All We Know, Ayreon).

The result is powerful, modern and balanced. Each instrument can clearly be heard within the Metal and the Symphonic, and the live strings on ‘The Script’ are truly wonderous. ‘Court of Conscience’ retains the band’s signature of thought-provoking lyrics mixed with memorable melodies. Whilst no two songs are alike, fans will be delighted to hear that the band’s approach to this album is a familiar one. With hard and heavy anthems such as ‘Knife Edge’ and ‘Toxicate’, more chilled and progressive tracks such as ‘Burdened’ and ‘It’s Not Enough’ along with the blues rock of ‘Affliction’, this collection of songs has something for each taste and mood.

The album was mastered in the US by Sterling Sound.

Guitarist Sam Cull reveals “Whenever we came off the road in between tours, we were really hyped and ready to write the 3rd record. Everybody was in the right headspace and the band was tighter than ever so it was a perfect storm. We jumped in and found ourselves 11-12 songs deep fairly quickly”

Singer Vicky Johnson about working with Jolie and Helleblad: “Whether you’re talking about Metal, Hip-Hop, Country, or Mozart, all music tries to do the same basic thing: turn a feeling into sound. With the help of Ruud and Stefan we were able to achieve this and feel that ‘Court of Conscience’ captured the Winter in Eden vibe perfectly.”

Court of Conscience track listing:
1. Knife Edge
2. With Intent
3. Critical Mass Part 1 - Burdened
4. Toxicate
5. Order Of Your Faith
6. It's Not Enough
7. Before It Began
8. The Script
9. Constant Tomorrows
10. Behind Closed Doors
11. Affliction

No samples as yet - sorry! Embarrassed

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 13:49
Listening to this band, there is nothing else than symphonic/gothic metal, so I suggest that the discussion (if any) be moved to Non-prog music lounge Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 06:59
One sample up on YouTube now, and new album release imminent:

Seems to follow much the same formula as their previous releases, which tends more towards symphonic/gothic metal than prog, but they are at least getting a fair hearing now: http://progfreak.com/Winter-in-Eden-159540.html?path=pa/recent. Not off to the best of starts, it must be said...but hey, Thanos - they're coming to Rotherham on 6th Sept (Classic Rock Society) - why don't you pop along and give them a cheer! Tongue
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 04:08
I am away that day but would not necessarily spend my pennies to check them out anyway Embarrassed (no offence, a matter of taste)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 07:15
LOL! Only joking...! LOL They are on with two more quite decent metal bands HeKz and Morpheus Rising - neither of whom are on PA, but both have featured on the free sampler CDs given out with the glossy 'Prog' magazine. It'll be a damn good night for melodic metal fans, that's for sure - with maybe just a hint of prog here and there...? Embarrassed

Edit: Both these other bands are on MMA: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/hekz/ and http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/artist/morpheus-rising. Morpheus Rising are listed as Traditional Heavy Metal, but HeKz as Progressive Metal, so maybe you might want to check them out sometime? There are several samples from their 'Tabula Rasa' album on Youtube, plus a review of the CD by the Dutch fellow LiveProg. They are also opening for Welsh proggers 'The Reasoning' on their forthcoming UK tour in October/November. Smile

Here's an 18-minute montage of teasers from the album on soundcloud, which will give you a decent insight into their sound: https://soundcloud.com/#metaldwarfmusic/sets/hekz-tabula-rasa-album-clips. Probably a tad too much into melodic metal territory for you guys to accept them for PA, but worth a listen if you've got 20 minutes to spare, I feel. Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - August 11 2014 at 07:50
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:27

With two 'no' votes on progfreak the inevitable door leading back out onto the street looms large, but for anyone interested, they are guests on aiiradio.net tonight  - Brian Dade is featuring the album on his 'album munchie' show:

10pm(UK) 11pm(CET) 5pm(EDT) 2pm(PDT) - 'An Evening With WINTER IN EDEN' - One of the UK's foremost symphonic metal bands, North-East England's Winter In Eden release their 3rd studio album, 'COURT OF CONSCIENCE', shortly.

"I'm delighted to welcome back Vicky, Steve, Samuel, Steve and Ian, as they join us live, via skype, to chat about the band..past events, their album launch, festival appearances and gigs, and introduce us track by track to this excellent new album, recorded in The Netherlands, and produced by Within Temptation's Ruud Jolie.!

There'll also be a smattering of tracks from their back catalogue. Join us in the chatroom...  http://www.chat.aiiradio.net/... to ask questions, comment on the music, or throw abuse at me..! Listen live via http://www.aiiradio.net/ or  http://www.stream.aiiradio.net/  or http://mobile.livestream.com/aiiradionet."

Smile

Edit: The show was recorded, and can be listened to for another week or so at http://www.livestream.com/aiiradionet/video?clipId=pla_b42b1b46-1a8d-43aa-abbd-68fdefa1b7e2Cool

Edited by yam yam - August 20 2014 at 07:00
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:38
Rejected with three straight 'no' votes, so we can finally draw a line under this long-running topic. Glad that an evaluation was eventually carried out though, so thanks to the Prog Metal team for hearing the band out.  Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 16:40
One final epitaph... Winter in Eden were played on Shaun Geraghty's 'The Prog Mill' show last night on Stafford radio: http://www.staffordradio.com, https://www.facebook.com/theprogmill. This is an excellent show, featuring some fine prog bands - & last night's playlist was as follows:

1. Galahad - 21st Century Painted Lady (Seize the Day)
2. Monarch Trail - Silent World (Skye)
3. The Watch - A.T.L.A.S. (Tracks from the Alps)
4. Neon ...Leaves - Pandora's Box of Dreams (Cinema Verite)
5. Freedom to Glide - Rain Pt 1 (Rain)
6. Pendragon - Beautiful Soul (Men Who Climb Mountains)
7. Ange - Le Ballon de Billy (Un Petit Tour en Puis S'en Vent)
8 .Winter in Eden - The Script (Court of Conscience)
9. Yes - Some Are Born (Tormato 2004 re-release)
10. Shadow Merchant - Mid Life Crisis (The Tunnel)
11. Mindfields - Ready to Live (One)
12. Genesis - One for the Vine (Wind and Wuthering)
13. Unto Us - Humand Landscape/These Four Walls (The Human Landscape)

Winter In Eden are in pretty good company there, for sure!! Smile

The Prog Mill is repeated Tuesday evening between 9-11pm UK time on www.staffordradio.com (or via the tune in website, and on internet radio platforms), and also nightly on their Rewind facility. Go to the website any night at 10pm UK time and click on 'Stafford Radio Rewind'.  Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - September 01 2014 at 16:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12