Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands prog fans generally hate but u like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:10
Australian band 'Sherbet'.  They started out kind of glammy, with an Emerson-esque keyboardist, Garth Porter. On what I think is their best album, 'On With The Show', they have a cool, 9 & a half minute version of Stephen Stills' 'Chicago' - complete with awesome Hammond soloing and a great, big mellotron crescendo in the middle.  They later focussed on AOR/MOR but extremely well played. Garth is now a renowned producer for many country-rock acts here in Australia.  Their bassist, Tony Mitchell, is also a very proficient player.  Howzat ??!!

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 09 2013 at 05:12
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Australian band 'Sherbet'.  They started out kind of glammy, with an Emerson-esque keyboardist, Garth Porter. On what I think is their best album, 'On With The Show', they have a cool, 9 & a half minute version of Stephen Stills' 'Chicago' - complete with awesome Hammond soloing and a great, big mellotron crescendo in the middle.  They later focussed on AOR/MOR but extremely well played. Garth is now a renowned producer for many country-rock acts here in Australia.  Their bassist, Tony Mitchell, is also a very proficient player.  Howzat ??!!

Didn't know that, I am used to dismissing Sherbet, might have re-evaluate them now.

Another band that made the switch is New Zealand/Australian band Dragon, who where known for their pop/rock but there first LP was pure prog with only 6 long songs. I have it stored away with my other LPs. It was pretty good too.
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:24
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

Didn't know that, I am used to dismissing Sherbet, might have re-evaluate them now.

Another band that made the switch is New Zealand/Australian band Dragon, who where known for their pop/rock but there first LP was pure prog with only 6 long songs. I have it stored away with my other LPs. It was pretty good too.
'Scented Gardens For The Blind' hey ??  Worth a fortune on LP $$$$ !! 
Yes, the first 2 Sherbet albums are pretty decent actually.  'On With The Show' has its share of art-rockers.  Split Enz are pretty good as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:28

Yes, the first 2 Sherbet albums are pretty decent actually.  'On With The Show' has its share of art-rockers.  Split Enz are pretty good as well.

Yes that's it. I have it on LP. Worth a fortune is it? mmm 
Agree, Split Enz are the same, pretty good Vaudeville Prog to start off with.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:34

Easily well into the 100's, you lucky thing !!
Garth Porter could've made an excellent player in a fully-blown Prog band.  Another Toivo Pilt, almost (Sebastian Hardie, Windchase).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:39

Garth Porter could've made an excellent player in a fully-blown Prog band.  Another Toivo Pilt, almost (Sebastian Hardie, Windchase).

Really! I never saw Garth do anything great, but then again I didn't look too closely. (if he was as good as Mr. Pilt then I will have to have a listen.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:44

Really! I never saw Garth do anything great, but then again I didn't look too closely. (if he was as good as Mr. Pilt then I will have to have a listen.
Probably over-selling him a bit, but he is bloody good on OWTS - even does that cliched 'Rondo' bit on the Hammond - right, here goes a phonetic description - dah-crash dah-crash dah-crash dah dah dah dah....etc. ?? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 05:46

Probably over-selling him a bit, but he is bloody good on OWTS - even does that cliched 'Rondo' bit on the Hammond - right, here goes a phonetic description - dah-crash dah-crash dah-crash dah dah dah dah....etc. ?? LOL
All right I am convinced now! Clap

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:01

The song 'Cassandra' was a hit off the album.  Nice little track.  Garth's keyboard list is : Hammond Organ, Wurlitzer Electric Piano, Piano, Mellotron and Electric Harpsichord.  On the album 'Life - Is For Living', he had ARP & Mini-Moog synths and a Yamaha Organ.  So you got the 'dah-crash' bit ??  You know, when he runs his hand down all the keyboard at lightning speed ??  In some live clip, Garth takes the classic Emerson stance between 2 keyboards, he was also known to wear some sequined/silky blue vest/jacket that was 1 or 2 sizes too small for him (like Emo on the Pictures At An Exhibition video).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:06

The song 'Cassandra' was a hit off the album.  Nice little track.  Garth's keyboard list is : Hammond Organ, Wurlitzer Electric Piano, Piano, Mellotron and Electric Harpsichord.  On the album 'Life - Is For Living', he had ARP & Mini-Moog synths and a Yamaha Organ.  So you got the 'dah-crash' bit ??  You know, when he runs his hand down all the keyboard at lightning speed ??  In some live clip, Garth takes the classic Emerson stance between 2 keyboards, he was also known to wear some sequined/silky blue vest/jacket that was 1 or 2 sizes too small for him (like Emo on the Pictures At An Exhibition video).
That's right I remember the clothes and the stance! But does he still use classic synths now? I'll bet he runs everything off his iPad! Confused
Not that there's anything wrong with that! Cool

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:13

That's right I remember the clothes and the stance! But does he still use classic synths now? I'll bet he runs everything off his iPad! Confused
I haven't heard anything of him for many years - I know he guested on one of Braithwaite's commercial solo albums but I'm not sure if he plays much keyboard these days. 
Toivo Pilt on the other hand.......Four Moments is pure perfection Approve
I'd be interested to know what you think if you ever get hold of On With The Show........
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:20

I haven't heard anything of him for many years - I know he guested on one of Braithwaite's commercial solo albums but I'm not sure if he plays much keyboard these days. 
Toivo Pilt on the other hand.......Four Moments is pure perfection Approve
I'd be interested to know what you think if you ever get hold of On With The Show........

Four Moments. Yes I remember seeing them support 'Focus' in the Canteen at Uni in the 70s. What a great gig. I went out and bought Four Moments the next day! 

Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:20
Please stop quoting each other.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:27
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Please stop quoting each other.
LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:29
That would've been a treat seeing Sebastian Hardie back in the day.  I only got to see them in 2003, when they supported Yes down in Melbourne.  I have to say, they wiped the floor with Yes......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:30
^ I thought they did a similar thing with Focus. (Except for Hocus Pocus which was amazing!)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:35
Millo is an exceptional guitarist.  Funny how Pilt & Millo are good mates with Jon English.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:39
^ Yes. (John English had an album that had a killer track on it. "Snake Eyes" was brilliant.)
Milo is a brilliant guitarists. He is one of those players, like David Gilmore, that chooses great notes to play and rings emotion out of every one!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:46
And Andy Latimer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 06:49
^Funny, haven't really got into him for some reason.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>