FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands prog fans generally hate but u like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 10:52
Funny you guys mention Coldplay, I think quite highly of their debut album. When it came out, they were just a melodic little indie band, and I actually saw a lot of similar elements in those `British indie rock' albums by Porcupine Tree - `Stupid Dream' and `Lightbulb Sun'. I remember `Spies' and `Sparks' were quite good on that first album.

However, over the course of one album, Coldplay became a fairly bland, lifeless and somewhat overproduced stadium band and lost that charm they originally had. There's still the occasional nice track on their albums, but highlights are few and far between.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 12 2013 at 10:55
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 11:06
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Funny you guys mention Coldplay, I think quite highly of their debut album. When it came out, they were just a melodic little indie band, and I actually saw a lot of similar elements in those `British indie rock' albums by Porcupine Tree - `Stupid Dream' and `Lightbulb Sun'. I remember `Spies' and `Sparks' were quite good on that first album.

However, over the course of one album, Coldplay became a fairly bland, lifeless and somewhat overproduced stadium band and lost that charm they originally had. There's still the occasional nice track on their albums, but highlights are few and far between.

I can agree with that but its nice to keep bands like Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers on my ipod because its stuff I can easily get everyone to agree on for car rides and such, otherwise...
Me: "pick anything you want"
Them: "Uhhh... I've never heard of these bands...? So.... (long pause) let's listen to the radio! I've haven't heard the ten songs they play on there enough times yet!"
Me: -_-
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 11:22
^^ Micheal. You nailed it. That's exactly how I feel about Coldplay, and funny that you mentioned 'Lightbulb Sun' cause I've always liked that album and it does remind me a little bit of what Coldplay do at times. In any case. Great point. You won't find any disagreement with me here. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 11:32

I've always held that Coldplay would make a great album if only they'd use some of their B-sides.

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 21:51

Funny you guys mention Coldplay, I think quite highly of their debut album. When it came out, they were just a melodic little indie band, and I actually saw a lot of similar elements in those `British indie rock' albums by Porcupine Tree - `Stupid Dream' and `Lightbulb Sun'. 

Argh, don't call PT 'indie'. Those albums have a british pop/rock thing going somewhat but that's totally different.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2013 at 23:07
Big Star. They were an important part of the soundtrack of my youth. They then, in late seventies and eighties, they weren't so popular and almost forgotten during flipping punk & new wave hysteria, but I loved Big Star so much. An incredibly youthful music.

RIP Alex Chilton Heart
RIP Chris Bell Heart

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 00:31
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Few of these might be prog-related but these are bands I think most people on here find annoying or just plain bad:

Anthony Green
Audioslave
Childish Gambino
Coheed and Cambria
Dredg
Gorillaz
Gotye
Grand Funk Railroad
Kanye West
Killswitch Engage
MGMT
Muse
Phil Collins
Queens of the Stone Age
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Sound of Animals Fighting
Rage Against the Machine
Steely Dan??
Styx
System of a Down
Tears for Fears
Tenacious D

Bring the hate!!! Tongue

Some good bands on this list, in my mind. As far as I know, Coheed and Cambria is one band prog fans like, or at least don't have a preference. Same with Muse, Styx, and Steely Dan. System of a Down has written some wonderful music too. I'm not a huge fan of Tears for Fears, but they can be quite catchy. MGMT is alright, and at least gives me a band I can talk about with other people my age.

I agree with what was said earlier. I don't always listen to other music, but it's much better than what's on the radio, so it's always nice to have.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 00:32
This is turning into a Non-prog anonymous thread I thinks. LOL
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 00:36
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3135

I'd never subscribe for Phil Collins in related but I would be happy about SoaD and Serj Tankian

Edited by octopus-4 - September 13 2013 at 00:36
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 01:22
I loved this..

... that self titled album by Halfbreed from 1975. AWESOME.
It was pressed in former Yugoslavia under licence of United Artists, and I still own the copy.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 14:21
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Some good bands on this list, in my mind. As far as I know, Coheed and Cambria is one band prog fans like, or at least don't have a preference. Same with Muse, Styx, and Steely Dan. System of a Down has written some wonderful music too. I'm not a huge fan of Tears for Fears, but they can be quite catchy. MGMT is alright, and at least gives me a band I can talk about with other people my age.

One reason I like system of a down because the drums are easy enough to play through an album with my friends with very little practice.  Coheed is also fun to play but I have to learn the songs beforehand.  I'm afraid if I totally abandon the bands that are popular with my friends I will become the grumpiest, oldest 22 year old ever.

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I agree with what was said earlier. I don't always listen to other music, but it's much better than what's on the radio, so it's always nice to have.

got to be prepared Wink

Edited by bloodnarfer - September 17 2013 at 14:22
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 14:50
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Major props to whoever called out Ofra Haza.

Clap

she's quite the household name here in Israel but I'm surprised so many people out of the country have heard of her :D
There be dragons
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 15:12
She sounds like something you could eat. 
*Pass the Ofra Haza please!'
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 16:20
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Major props to whoever called out Ofra Haza.

Clap

she's quite the household name here in Israel but I'm surprised so many people out of the country have heard of her :D

Shaday and Kirya were pretty widely available in the U.S.  I discovered her in the 80s as a result of a world music course at a university in Chicago.  Still have my original cassette of Shaday but a CD of Kirya disappeared long ago.  Don't know if any of her other records were ever released here, but I heard her pop up on a college radio station while driving through Minnesota a couple years back.  Saw a vinyl of hers in a used record store once and regret not buying it. Unhappy

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 00:11
Not sure what everyone here thinks of Korn, but I like them. (Mainly their non-rap songs)
Dethklok is hilarious, I listen to them a little.
And Monster Truck. Just your average Canadian hard rock band, but of all the new music on rock radio, theres has by far the most energy in it. (Truth to tell I only know the songs of theirs that play on the radio, but still.)

My computer is being stupid so I'm not sure if the Youtube link worked or if I just have a big space under my writing, but here's another link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5X_5cZch8w

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - September 18 2013 at 14:28
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 01:24
Most of the current top 40 stuff is utterly disposable rubbish - sh*t that I'm subjected to during my working hours and it drives me nuts.......
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 14:32
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Most of the current top 40 stuff is utterly disposable rubbish - sh*t that I'm subjected to during my working hours and it drives me nuts.......
I hear ya. I've sworn out loud (when nobody was around) when I realize I have a pop song stuck in my head.
I promptly pump it out when I get home from work with some nice loud Obscura and the like.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 19:18
 A frie
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Not sure what everyone here thinks of Korn, but I like them. (Mainly their non-rap songs)
Dethklok is hilarious, I listen to them a little.
And Monster Truck. Just your average Canadian hard rock band, but of all the new music on rock radio, theres has by far the most energy in it. (Truth to tell I only know the songs of theirs that play on the radio, but still.)

My computer is being stupid so I'm not sure if the Youtube link worked or if I just have a big space under my writing, but here's another link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5X_5cZch8w

I'm not a fan of Korn. Dethklok, I've heard a little of, and yes they are quite amusing. LOL A friend of mine is a fan, so that's where I hear them.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2013 at 22:22
I finally thought of an artist that I like a lot, but doesn't seem to be very well appreciated around here...

Too, sometimes I find myself unable to pull away from this:

Edited by Polymorphia - September 19 2013 at 20:50
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2013 at 00:13
^ Forgot the backslash in the closing tag.

Sounds interesting ... but what's will all the pauses in Alvin's speech?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>