Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:36
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Another way to look at the indie scene that started in the 80s is that in the 70s the same artists wouldn't have needed to become "alternative" to reach the market (a market). Accessible pop and sophisticated experimentalism coexisted. IMO it's all down to the change in paradigm that happened in the industry, not to the creative changes.
I think that may be true, but I think that was a change in paradigm at the managing and marketing level rather than at the artistic level. Had the music industry developed the approaches and models they used in the 1980s earlier, they'd have used them earlier.

Didn't I say just that? Confused
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 18:11
^ a'tchly I don't think it's true anyway - the 70s artists that were not mainstream were on independent labels and for all intents and purposes they were alternative artists - Virgin & Caroline were indie labels, Island & Chrysalis were indie labels, Charisma and B&C were indie labels, Transatlantic was an Indie label, Ohr was an indie label, Brain was an indie label (etc, etc) ... The perception that the 80s were some kind of rebellion against the corporate music industry is misplaced, that rebellion occurred in the 1960s and perpetuated through the 70s and into the 80s. However all through that time-span the major labels were fighting back, sweeping up the indies as they went (such as Atlantic and UA/Liberty, acquired by Warners and EMI respectively in the late 60s) and countering them with ersatz indie labels (aka "imprints") of their own like Deram, Vertigo and Harvest (and of course Apple, Mantecore, Threshold, Swansong, Purple etc).

You cannot even claim that the 80s saw any increase in success for these alternative artists on indie labels - the 60s and 70s were a-wash with them, not just in the "alternative" (then called underground or progressive [with a small"p"]), bu tin the mainstream too - even in the Pop charts ZZT in the 80s was no more or less successful a label than Rak records were in the 70s - and the approach to marketing and management by those "indie" mavericks of the 80s wasn't that different to the "indie" mavericks of 70s (Blackwell, Branson, Stratton-Smith).

Consider also that the "alternative" artists of the 80s that had success weren't necessarily indie artists at all - The Pistols, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Wire, Talking Heads, U2, The Clash, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Dr Feelgood, XTC etc all signed to major labels or imprints of major labels or "indie" labels that were successful in the 60s and 70s. This wasn't even a departure or diversification for those labels that signed them either U2 on the same label as King Crimson, Wire the same as Pink Floyd, Dr Feelgood the same as Hawkwind & Amon Duul, The Clash the same as Johnny Cash (Confused sorry, not an expert on CBS records artists), The Banshees the same as Alquin and Vangelis, The Pistols the same as Gong & Mike Oldfield. 

Edited by Dean - July 01 2011 at 18:14
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 19:17
^ I've often been puzzled by the perception of artists on indie labels being automatically considered 'purer' than those on majors.
A corner shop wants your money
A supermarket wants your money
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 04:09
Very interesting post Dean, thanks. I've always read here about the classic rock / prog labels of the 70s being big enough to provide full support to bands, but not-business-minded enough to turn commercial like they did in the 80s. I guess that's an over-simplification then?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 05:11
Isn't everything an over simplification Wink Any business has to create revenue to pay its costs, if they are providing support to bands then that cash is generated by sales of that and other artists on the payroll. For Virgin one album(thus one artist) funded the entire catalogue for years while others like Island, Chrysalis and Charisma relied on a core of two or three artists to pay for everything else they released. For example the (relative) success of VdGG, The Nice and Lindisfarne in the early 70s (and hit singles by people like Clifford T Ward) payed for Audience and Genesis's early albums, and those VdGG, The Nice and Lindisfarne albums were themselves funded by the earlier success of bands like Atomic Rooster and Steeleye Span (on parent label B&C), who were themselves funded by the success of Desmond Decker and Dave and Ansel Collins (on Trojan). Similar profiles can be produced for all indie labels, even Island in the 70s and Stiff and Factory records in the 80s - one or two big hits fund the non-earning bands - Free, Traffic, Cat Stevens and Jimmy Cliff paying the way for King Crimson, Blodwin Pig and Rennaisance... These guys were business-minded and commercial, (Island was the biggest Indie label of all time) and they were very shrewed, (just look at Branson), unlike Tony Wilson, whose business acumen on Factory Records resulted in some very bizarre practices (like losing money on every copy of Blue Monday ever sold, so the more successful it became the more they lost money) - however in spite of this New Order and Happy Mondays funded just about every other artist on Factory in the 80s, just as Tubeway Army, Gary Numan, Bauhaus and M/A/R/R/S funded everything else released on Beggars Banquet and 4AD.

What you are reading is a little misdirection by the music journalists of the 80s who championed the "new wave" (remember that ZZT was set up by Paul Morley), who rallied against the "majors" EMI, CBS, Philips and Polydor even though those major labels had signed "new wave" alternative artists themselves.

Edited by Dean - July 02 2011 at 05:38
What?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 07:26
Here I go again crying the blues, but I did feel sadness like many others did during the 80's and even the 90's because it was obvious to musicians and fans of Progressive music that for whatever reason our music had slipped under the carpet. I remember in 1992 WXPN out of Philadelphia decided to play European underground prog for the weekend. I tuned into the radio show which ran from 9:00 PM on Saturday till Sunday morning. I observed the recordings of Van Der Graff Generator and others having a bit of snap, crackle, and pop. I called the station and realized they were simply playing tapes of old radio shows from the late 70's. These were recordings which were played over the air on a turntable. I called the station suggesting they should run more airplay for bands of this nature. The DJ told me it was not a good idea as people in general do not listen to music like this anymore. I had thought that music like this was music of the future and I didn't personally feel it was dated or ever to become dated in the eyes of the public.
I remember hearing around this particular time a band called OCTOBER PROJECT. They were very original and maybe had some influence of songwriting like YES. They had the 2 part female vocal harmony which was supposedly originally crafted by a band named MELLOW CANDLE. They were signed to a decent label and were touring on the east coast. Their music contained prog/folk sensibilities. Color me surprised that they were even signed and given the chance to prove themselves.

Mary Faul had the most unique voice. After their second release they were dropped from the label. They had a decent following that included fans of progressive and folk music. They had a song promoted through a vid titled "Bury My Lovely". I could somehow visualize Jon Anderson singing that tune and they had such a positive response from audiences that I felt quite baffled as to why they were dropped and thrown by the wayside. Artists like Dave Mathews were more dominet for radio play, but it was obvious that October Project wrote material just as strong. My big pathetic question is why were they not promoted more? I know I am babbling here , but bands with fine crafted originality like October Project crumbled. Why? The reason couldn't be that they had that certain something which seperated them from commercial music because their popularity was growing on the east coast during a time when bands like this were mostly found on the underground. I could never truly understand the reason. This band had an audience that were not totally fans of musician's music. It just seemed that every time a band like this would come along every 4 or 5 years, build up an audience of a diverse nature, make vids, tour, and get radio airplay....they would be dropped? why?

Edited by TODDLER - July 02 2011 at 07:29
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 05:39
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ a'tchly I don't think it's true anyway - the 70s artists that were not mainstream were on independent labels and for all intents and purposes they were alternative artists - Virgin & Caroline were indie labels, Island & Chrysalis were indie labels, Charisma and B&C were indie labels, Transatlantic was an Indie label, Ohr was an indie label, Brain was an indie label (etc, etc) ... The perception that the 80s were some kind of rebellion against the corporate music industry is misplaced, that rebellion occurred in the 1960s and perpetuated through the 70s and into the 80s. However all through that time-span the major labels were fighting back, sweeping up the indies as they went (such as Atlantic and UA/Liberty, acquired by Warners and EMI respectively in the late 60s) and countering them with ersatz indie labels (aka "imprints") of their own like Deram, Vertigo and Harvest (and of course Apple, Mantecore, Threshold, Swansong, Purple etc).
Well, that's exactly it - most of the 70s indie labels you cite were being hoovered up by major labels or were in the process of becoming major labels themselves towards the end of the 1970s. Dave Stewart actually goes into this a bit in the liner notes to National Health's "Complete" compilation, talking about how the accountants ended up gradually taking over Virgin to the point where they decided there wasn't an audience for what National Health was doing and gave them the cold shoulder.

The Sex Pistols might have been puppets of the major labels by the end of their career, but the swathe of new indie labels that came out in their wake - 4AD, Beggar's Banquet, Rough Trade, Factory Records - turned out to be crucially important in keeping an independent outlet alive.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 09:58
I enjoy 80s music, everything except dance music. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 13:50
Some bands that excelled in the '80s:

Tangerine Dream
Twelfth Night (until Geoff Mann left)
Saga (up to '85, anyway)
Rush
Black Sabbath
King Crimson
Ozric Tentacles
IQ (minus Nomzamo/AYSC?)
Eloy
King's X
Iconoclasta

...and there was some darned good fusion and metal, too. 

YMMV, of course...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 14:42
why didn't the 80's suck...  two words

BIG HAIR!!!!!  my god...  time for another cold shower...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 19:55
I love 80s music. Heavy metal, new wave, synthpop, no wave, quirky prog like the Cardiacs. There was horrible crap in any decade but there was plenty of cool crap from then :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2018 at 23:28
I think mainstream music of eighties is mostly awful. That´s the one I heard only in the begin of eighties from the radio, also in the television, so I listened mostly just 60-70ies music. But later I found out there was such bands as Sonic Youth, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Minutemen, Wipers, Meat Puppets, Nomeansno that made really great stuff. Also I found later the end of seventies NewWave bands that continue making good music in the eighties like Joy Division, the Cure, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Bauhaus etc. Of course speedmetal boom in the middle of eighties was great. But I think 80ties is commonly remembered for that awful plastic sounds.

I have said this before but I rather listen 60-70ties crap than eighties just because the sounds.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 02:45
.......the 80’s didn’t suck (completely) - it’s just that many of our beloved Prog-Rock bands had to adapt to the music bizz of the day in order to survive. Sure, technology and production stylings date material from this period, but I love truck-loads of albums from this period. It was especially great for MetalThrash bands (and Marillion, Pendragon, Twelfth Night etc.)
And you have to accept that for every ‘commercially styled’ band out at the time, there’s usually a band member with talent (and a Prog background......)

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 26 2018 at 02:46
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 03:05
^ Every decade had crappy music, not just 80s. There was some terrible pop music in the 60s and 70s as well, and then there was disco music. 
That's why I said I enjoy 80s music, except for dance music. I am not much of a hardcore listener but I can respect what the artists of the genre were doing back then. And then there is crossover thrash, that is thrash meets hardcore punk - Suicidal Tendencies type. And obviously a metal decade...
There are even a few hair metal, glam metal bands, call it whatever you want. Problem was labels got greedy and the scene was over-saturated. 

Alternative bands, I'm not an expert in any way, but I listen to a few things. 
I could listen to melodic hard rock as long as I hear some competent musicians. 

So, no, 80s did not suck. 

Edited by Cristi - February 26 2018 at 03:31
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 03:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

So, no, 80s did not suck. 

Starting my youth in the begin of eighties I really thought it sucked. But gladly speedmetal in the middle of eighties saved my youth!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 05:32
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Every decade had crappy music, not just 80s. There was some terrible pop music in the 60s and 70s as well, and then there was disco music.

Agreed. The 80s didn't suck any more or less than the 70s did. There's a ton of 80s music I hated back then that I look back fondly on now. 

They did suck compared to the 70s with regards to prog though.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 06:11
80's hair bands sucked! 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 06:45
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

80's hair bands sucked! 

all of them? I wouldn't generalize like that. 
I would not use a word like "suck" when I dislike something. Because this is what I think you're trying to say - that you dislike hair metal, right? 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 07:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

why didn't the 80's suck...  two words

BIG HAIR!!!!!  my god...  time for another cold shower...

Going bald, micky?? TongueWinkLOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2018 at 07:24
Two more precise words would have been "hair bands". micky was close.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>