Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Metal and "Jazz Influences"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 13:04
I think the biggest problem is that he thinks jazz is 100% dependent on music theory; an affliction that affects far too many music students.
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 13:27

for me jazz is defined by improv most "jazz metal" does not have this very prominant but niether does a lot of fusion nu jazz or smooth jazz. To me these genres are as much about aping the more superficaial elements of jazz (certain chords and scales, swing feel) as it is about actually playing jazz. That does not make the music bad or mean they are not influenced by jazz. influenced is a really really vague term anyway.

who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I think the biggest problem is that he thinks jazz is 100% dependent on music theory; an affliction that affects far too many music students.

Almost every genre you can think of can be described by music theory. I challenge you to name me one that isn't.

But it's also worth mentioning that you don't have to understand music theory to apply it. As I mentioned in an above post, Joe Pass (who as a jazz guitarist yourself I'm sure you've heard and most probably admire) didn't actually have that much of a degree of theoretical understanding in what he was doing, he created the innovative jazz music he did through using his ears. That doesn't mean his music can't be explained by music theory.

Jazz isn't dependant on music theory, I never said that. But it can definitely be characterised by music theory, musicologists have been doing it for years.

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Hey Alex, I think you should have put this in the Ranting Room.Wink

It seems that the biggest problem here is understanding music theory and comparing the comments of someone with little more than a laymans knowledge agaisnt a music theory student is where the problems are arrising, not helped by Man Overboards entire contribution to this thread being personal atacks against you.

I've got to admit, I've never really understood the jazz metal thing either. As much as I love the likes of Cynic and Death, they really dont sound like a metaled up version of jazz in the way that the jazz rock/fusion groups sound like a rocked up version of jazz, so bad terminoligy all round here.

Haha in hindsight it would appear that would have been a better option for me

Thanks, if only Man Overboard realised that... I wouldn't mind so much if he wasn't just making sweeping statements about my personality and twisting my intentions to get his point across...

And that is precisely what I've been getting at. I too love the bands that get coined in such a way (have you noticed that a band rarely ever coins itself these terms?), but I'm just tired of the lack of understanding that fans of "jazz metal" bands often have for actual jazz.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 14:41
it is some jazz crossed metal with soem sax solos on some Soundgarden songs

Edited by aginor - June 19 2011 at 14:45
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 15:36
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Almost every genre you can think of can be described by music theory. I challenge you to name me one that isn't.

But it's also worth mentioning that you don't have to understand music theory to apply it. As I mentioned in an above post, Joe Pass (who as a jazz guitarist yourself I'm sure you've heard and most probably admire) didn't actually have that much of a degree of theoretical understanding in what he was doing, he created the innovative jazz music he did through using his ears. That doesn't mean his music can't be explained by music theory.

Jazz isn't dependant on music theory, I never said that. But it can definitely be characterised by music theory, musicologists have been doing it for years.

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Hey Alex, I think you should have put this in the Ranting Room.Wink

It seems that the biggest problem here is understanding music theory and comparing the comments of someone with little more than a laymans knowledge agaisnt a music theory student is where the problems are arrising, not helped by Man Overboards entire contribution to this thread being personal atacks against you.

I've got to admit, I've never really understood the jazz metal thing either. As much as I love the likes of Cynic and Death, they really dont sound like a metaled up version of jazz in the way that the jazz rock/fusion groups sound like a rocked up version of jazz, so bad terminoligy all round here.

Haha in hindsight it would appear that would have been a better option for me

Thanks, if only Man Overboard realised that... I wouldn't mind so much if he wasn't just making sweeping statements about my personality and twisting my intentions to get his point across...

And that is precisely what I've been getting at. I too love the bands that get coined in such a way (have you noticed that a band rarely ever coins itself these terms?), but I'm just tired of the lack of understanding that fans of "jazz metal" bands often have for actual jazz.

That probably comes from the fact that most musicians dont like aplying labels to their music becuase they see it as a product of their influences, which can be quite varied. In fact, a lot of musicians in the prog metal world will site jazz as an influence on their playing and its probably that influence, with musicians bringing this one aspect through in certain areas, that has lead to the term jazz metal being brought in.  
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 20:32
Just sick of the exclusionist attitudes re: genres, though it is a nice change of pace from the more common "prog metal isn't prog" threads. The fallacious language and constant appeals to authority re: music theory certainly encouraged some facetiousness. I suppose I shouldn't just be a -jerk-, but I admit, it can be difficult when the language reeks of a closed mind. The tone was set; I stepped in to fill a role. Now that I have more than five sleep-deprived minutes to contribute to posting, I'll elaborate on my own brusquely presented views.

The premise of the thread is offensive. Only two metal bands with any jazz influence? Seriously? I'm sure that with his well-educated ear, OP is aware that "7th chords with a little dissonance" is the least of many of these bands' qualifiers, especially in the case of Death and Gorguts (mentioned in the OP). With all the hyperbole being flung around in this thread, myself included, I'm surprised the OP didn't pick up on HH's use of such in his "Death -are- jazz" comment. I'll admit, there's a certain era of Death that plays well between listenings of If Summer Had Its Ghosts, Maiden Voyage, Kind Of Blue, Shamal, and other jazz and jazz-influenced classics. Chuck's modes, scales, syncopations, and choices of voicings certainly weren't the ones that characterize -metal-, though I understand many metal bands adapted some of them afterward because they were that awesome. Yeah, I get that "jazz influenced" is bandied about quite a bit where it may not be appropriate, but the original examples given are pretty poorly picked at best and intentionally inflammatory at worst.  

I think it's a fair assessment to state that Dream Theater don't "get" songwriting, for all their technical knowhow. They can write and play parts in many different modes and styles, though they seem to mostly prefer aping riffs and melodies from their heroes past and present and plugging it all in together. Any given Dream Theater album listening eventually devolves into a game of "where did they appropriate that part from and how shameless is it". This isn't conjecture, any number of their interviews, features, and DVD commentaries have members speaking at length about which bands/songs they mold their individual sections after. Live Scenes New York was amazing for this, they give many section-by-section breakdowns. Live, sometimes they'll just start playing the riff their 'original' song was 'inspired' by. If you've ever seen any of their songcharts in the rehearsal/recording studio, they often just name the sections after the band, album, or song they're gentrifying. Their supporters call this "tribute", but when it makes up the majority of their output, it sounds to me...like they don't 'get' songwriting.

It's opinion. Have at it! 

Heart PS and OT: could you folks possibly stop referring to me in the masculine? Not to be human in this thread or anything, but I'm finally transitioning (the true meaning of Man Overboard revealed Embarrassed). My name and gender are in my profile.

Edited by Man Overboard - June 19 2011 at 23:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 22:09
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I think it's a fair assessment to state that Dream Theater don't "get" songwriting, for all their technical knowhow. They can write and play parts in many different modes and styles, though they seem to mostly prefer aping riffs and melodies from their heroes past and present and plugging it all in together. Any given Dream Theater album listening eventually devolves into a game of "where did they appropriate that part from and how shameless is it". This isn't conjecture, any number of their interviews, features, and DVD commentaries have members speaking at length about which bands/songs they mold their individual sections after. Live Scenes New York was amazing for this, they give many section-by-section breakdowns. Live, sometimes they'll just start playing the riff their 'original' song was 'inspired' by. If you've ever seen any of their songcharts in the rehearsal/recording studio, they often just name the sections after the band, album, or song they're gentrifying. Their supporters call this "tribute", but when it makes up the majority of their output, it sounds to me...like they don't 'get' songwriting.

You are really talking about a specific era of DT here and not ALL their work.  Though I'd argue that even at their best, they were really a bunch of enthusiastic fans of the bands QR, Rush, Metallica and DiMeola/Dixie Dregs.  They don't set a scene or paint a picture that is their own, it is instead hijacked from all the great rock music made up to that point. With that said, I'd hardly be able to single out DT for this save that they are among the most obvious and easy targets. Most metal bands from the 90s onwards I have heard are after a sound, and a sound that's usually not their own. It's the metal way. \m/
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 22:41
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You are really talking about a specific era of DT here and not ALL their work.  Though I'd argue that even at their best, they were really a bunch of enthusiastic fans of the bands QR, Rush, Metallica and DiMeola/Dixie Dregs.  They don't set a scene or paint a picture that is their own, it is instead hijacked from all the great rock music made up to that point. With that said, I'd hardly be able to single out DT for this save that they are among the most obvious and easy targets. Most metal bands from the 90s onwards I have heard are after a sound, and a sound that's usually not their own. It's the metal way. \m/

Which era is that? I used to think it was mostly FII-Octavarium, but honestly I haven't listened -past- that and I've started hearing it in everything pre-FII as well... 

That said, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this Tongue. When I was younger, I thought they were brilliant, but over the years I became familiar with what seem to be many of the albums that they were really into. Honestly, I prefer many of the riffs in their original context rather than as part of a hodge-podge buffet with extra weedlies thrown in. 
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 22:54
Kevin Moore was probably the only member of DT who could be considered a proper "Songwriter". James LaBrie almost gets there sometimes, but he hardly gets to write anything these days.
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 23:45
Not to derail the thread even further, but doesn't this seem even more common in  prog rock? Anything that's got a sax on it seems to be automatically slapped with the "jazz" label. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 02:43

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Which era is that? I used to think it was mostly FII-Octavarium, but honestly I haven't listened -past- that and I've started hearing it in everything pre-FII as well... 

That said, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this Tongue. When I was younger, I thought they were brilliant, but over the years I became familiar with what seem to be many of the albums that they were really into. Honestly, I prefer many of the riffs in their original context rather than as part of a hodge-podge buffet with extra weedlies thrown in. 

I think it started with Change of Seasons EP which had several covers. I am not going to say what I make of their intentions on that basis because next thing you know the fans explode.  But no evidence of this on Images...or Awake. Their influences become obvious over time but it's still a fairly original effort at songwriting.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 12:45

Just sick of the exclusionist attitudes re: genres, though it is a nice change of pace from the more common "prog metal isn't prog" threads. The fallacious language and constant appeals to authority re: music theory certainly encouraged some facetiousness. I suppose I shouldn't just be a -jerk-, but I admit, it can be difficult when the language reeks of a closed mind. The tone was set; I stepped in to fill a role. Now that I have more than five sleep-deprived minutes to contribute to posting, I'll elaborate on my own brusquely presented views.

The premise of the thread is offensive. Only two metal bands with any jazz influence? Seriously? I'm sure that with his well-educated ear, OP is aware that "7th chords with a little dissonance" is the least of many of these bands' qualifiers, especially in the case of Death and Gorguts (mentioned in the OP). With all the hyperbole being flung around in this thread, myself included, I'm surprised the OP didn't pick up on HH's use of such in his "Death -are- jazz" comment. I'll admit, there's a certain era of Death that plays well between listenings of If Summer Had Its Ghosts, Maiden Voyage, Kind Of Blue, Shamal, and other jazz and jazz-influenced classics. Chuck's modes, scales, syncopations, and choices of voicings certainly weren't the ones that characterize -metal-, though I understand many metal bands adapted some of them afterward because they were that awesome. Yeah, I get that "jazz influenced" is bandied about quite a bit where it may not be appropriate, but the original examples given are pretty poorly picked at best and intentionally inflammatory at worst.  

Heart PS and OT: could you folks possibly stop referring to me in the masculine? Not to be human in this thread or anything, but I'm finally transitioning (the true meaning of Man Overboard revealed Embarrassed). My name and gender are in my profile.

Now this is a response I can actually answer in a civilised manner, thankyou

I didn't mean to stir up an exlusionist attitude, but I am aware that I may have given off that vibe... jazz influence is clearly all around us (it's a huge and very important genre of music) but to put the "jazz influenced" label on a band would have to be a strong statement, otherwise you could quite literally put that title on all popular music from the 50s-60s onwards. The point I'm making is that the label is given out way too much, and it's started to obscure a band's true identity, especially that of those which genuinely bring in jazz elements to their music.

Obviously I didn't presume there were only two bands with jazz influence (I did say that I could only think of two bands at the time, now a couple more have arisen, like Behold The Arctopus and Textures in the song "Touching the Absolute" etc...). And even if it were an intended hyperbole, the statement was still ridiculous, I almost spat out my orange juice when I read it, mainly because there was still a massive deal of carelessness involved in it. Yes, Chuck did use modes in his soloing, but the syncopation thing really doesn't point to jazz, I'm sorry to say it. Syncopation as a whole is not only present in jazz, it's present in almost every form of music and so I highly doubt Chuck was thinking of jazz when writing riffs in songs like Vacant Planets. Also his voicings are just creative, they don't necessarily derive from jazz. In fact, jazz guitar voicing rarely includes anything more than the third and seventh of a chord and as a result are very sparse.

I don't know what you mean with Gorguts being jazz influenced. In fact I don't really get what anyone means with that. I certainly can't hear it, so if anyone would like to point out a passage off Obscura which is jazz-influenced I'd be welcomly enlightened.

Now that the DT assumption is backed up by in depth points I can understand where you are coming from, although you can't help but question what "songwriting" actually is. As a composer myself (I wouldn't call my music "songs" exactly), I find it very difficult to write something entirely original or that hasn't been inspired by another piece of music, and I've spoke to others about this too and they agree. Virtually all music nowadays is coming up with innovative combinations of things we've already heard before, and that's exactly how Gentle Giant and other innovative progressive bands composed (I can definitely hear this). It's more the way you use these motifs and ideas that really counts, so overall I'd still disagree with you. DT may (in some cases very obviously) almost copy other riffs, but I think it's how they put them in context and play around with them a bit that counts for their compositional merit. I think they are fantastic songwriters, despite the fact I find them almost unbearable to listen to

Apologies, I assumed you were writing from under the sea
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 20:10
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Now that the DT assumption is backed up by in depth points I can understand where you are coming from, although you can't help but question what "songwriting" actually is. As a composer myself (I wouldn't call my music "songs" exactly), I find it very difficult to write something entirely original or that hasn't been inspired by another piece of music, and I've spoke to others about this too and they agree. Virtually all music nowadays is coming up with innovative combinations of things we've already heard before, and that's exactly how Gentle Giant and other innovative progressive bands composed (I can definitely hear this). It's more the way you use these motifs and ideas that really counts, so overall I'd still disagree with you. DT may (in some cases very obviously) almost copy other riffs, but I think it's how they put them in context and play around with them a bit that counts for their compositional merit. I think they are fantastic songwriters, despite the fact I find them almost unbearable to listen to

I agree that possibly rock since its very inception has been about giving a new twist to ideas rather than originating new ideas. It is a valid approach to originality because originality in form is very important.  However, I have not found DT to be anywhere as interesting in this regard as Gentle Giant...could you cite some examples?  If we take Acquiring the Taste album, that instrumental break in Black Cat is hinting at atonality but actually sounds very playful.  Also, the 'blues' solo on The House, The Street, The Room.  I don't hear such originality in DT's work.  Another thing is in their later work, they seem to love to clobber the musical drama developed with abrupt changes so as to accommodate more complexity and chops.  Now I don't care how many great parts somebody comes up with but I don't make allowances for musicians who do this over and over...er, it's quite inconsiderate to the listener.  There's no big deal with throwing in a bunch of hot ideas into a song. All the ideas in totality should be consonant and leave a coherent impression. In that regard, DT are much weaker than a Genesis or Gentle Giant.

Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 22:31

Great well thought out post!

Personally i can not stand DT and completely agree about their song writing abilities. I was once in a prog metal band that wrote this way and it was an awfull experience. I don't want to be rush plus pink floyd i want to be me!

Also I want to extrapolate on the idea of influence. One can be influenced by somthing without being that somthing (otherwise they would be like DT) also I think that some of the influences that make a band intersetiong are the influences the band does not fully understand. As much as many of these metal bands don't "get" jazz it only makes their music more interesting because they pick and chooze what they feel is jazz and what they feel is worthy of tribute and it is more often than not interesting, even if its not jazz.

Also I don't see how jazz influences in metal are any less dubious than those in prog as a whole.

also congradulations on your transition, i imagine this must be an exciting time for you!
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 10:10
Trying to define jazz is even more difficult than defining prog.

But I would offer that improvisation is almost a universal component. Even in set song formats, the importance of the performer expressing their personal muse and style is always there. That's not necessarily the focus of metal, even what's labeled jazz-metal.

The extended chord structures that later jazz greats explored are of interest to anyone who wants to expand their approach to music beyond I IV V.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Vincent View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 21:34
Hey man, where is the middle picture that you have showing the guy on fire?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:34
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Technical drumming is not jazz. Gene Hoglan, as amazing as he is, is about as anti-jazz as it gets. Playing with laser precision is so against everything that is jazz....

That is weird ... I don't think I have met a single "jazz" drummer that was not "technical" or specially attuned to "precision"!

In fact, I would say that this is one of the main differences between a lot of good rock drummers and jazz drummers ... because some rock folks are known to fly with their own wings, not the team's or guitarists.

Some of the best "free form" drummers ever that we know for sure, would be Mani Neumeier, Pierre Moerlin and Keith Moon.

Edited by moshkito - January 12 2015 at 10:34
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:28
After reading through the often intense discussions on this thread, I never read mention of the German band Panzerballett. These guys sure blend metal with fusion really well and are pure joy to listen to.....sometimes the tech showboating makes me laugh, but I can dig it.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:34
The jazz label gets slapped on some pretty noxious simplistic drivel on the radio under the moniker "smooth jazz". I can get behind the idea of Exivious, Spastic Ink and Coprofago applying the jazz label than Kenny G or Michael McDonald. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123