Topic ClosedUnexpect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpect
    Posted: June 19 2011 at 13:41

Though they were predated by a straightforward thrash metal band, Unexpect have quickly evolved into one of the prog world's most forward thinking outfits. Combing operatic elements and shades of classical music with nearly every style of metal imaginable (from death through to gothic metal) and topping it off with an extremely challenging avant-garde approach, their sound must be heard to be believed.

They have just released their new album Fables of the Sleepless Empire and I got in touch with them. Chaoth answered my questions.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Your biography has been covered in your ProgArchives profile so let's bypass the biography details. But which bands were you influenced by and why did you choose that name ?

The name... the name......... The name was chosen I believe in 1996 when the band was formed with the original members (Artagoth and Syriak) so... Why ?..... I couldn't tell you exactly what was racing in their heads when they found that name but it's been sticking to the band ever since and always was very representative of the music and concepts in the way that it gives us a total ''carte blanche'' creatively because, no matter what we put out next, no matter how the band evolves and what direction we choose... it will always be justified as it is the very name, the very first concept of the band. Not to ''intentionally'' throw people off but to do as we do and change direction and evolve as we want to do without sticking to any genre. If people listen to some new material and go: ''Wow, I didn't see that coming...'' well.... they got it.  

The influences, as we mentioned in many interviews, are way too wide to enumerate so I don't think I'll even start. We are 6 (7 at the moment of composing and recording ''Fables of the Sleepless Empire'') very strong minded individual with very different taste in music and we are all pushing in every direction possible so that everybody has his say in a piece. To break it down as simply as I could, I would say that ''UNEXPECT'' was mainly a European Melodic Metal influenced band in its early stage but then with the 2003 and on line-up everybody poured in their culture into the band and evolved as musicians to give you today ''FABLES OF THE SLEEPLESS EMPIRE''. I could only say that I am very fortunate to play in such an unlikely gathering of extremely talented and open minded musicians.  

Over to your two albums. Your debut album Utopia was released in 1999. Please tell us more about this album.

Again, there is only 2 of the original UTOPIA line-up in the band... Syriak and Artagoth, who gives the foundation of these weird and colorful guitar parts. Utopia was very well received here in Quebec and was also an all independent record. This album amazes me sometimes when I think of the fact that they were 17-18 when they wrote it! Pretty mature sound for that age if you ask me. I couldn't say much more, I came in the band at the end of 2001. I was a fan of the band back then so, let's say I was very glad to join the ranks.  

And then there was a seven years long break. What were you doing during this break ?

Well, that is not exactly correct. You know... Google is your friend :)..... don't be shy....
After Utopia (1999) the band got known mainly in the Quebec area and then there was a major shift in line-up that forged the UNEXPECT that you know today. I (ChaotH) joined the march in 2001 (the very day of the twin tower collapse... isn't it strange ?) and then Lei in 2002 after which we released ''We, Invaders...'' (2003) on Galy Records. The 4 songs EP that was the first draft of the ''new'' UNEXPECT sound. Then Landryx joined in 2003. Some shows, some parties and some nights of shredding later... we got signed to The End records in 2004, recorded our clusterf**k album IAFA in 2005 and it was released in 2006. Now... isn't that vulgar ? To sum up 7 individual lives over 7 years... with these 7 lines ? Of course, there is no way I can really communicate to you what we lived and what we are so.... that will have to do. I do realize though that... written interviews are easier when I drink. Shame on you Belgian Pils !

Your second album In a Flesh Aquarium was released in 2006. Please tell us more about this album.

It's f**king weird.

Fables of the Sleepless Empire has just been released. Please tell us more about this album.

We're really happy and excited that it's finally out. It's been 2 years in the making and was only sleeping on our ipods for the longest time but now it's out in the world and the comments are amazing so far. You don't make music for the critics of course but, after 2 years of listening to it on our side, I mean... it's almost old material for us now... it's nice to have an outside perspective.

It's been produced by Jeff Fortin at BadAss studio.. thanks for his patience. I think that a producer that starts to work with UneXpecT never really knows what he's in for but he took it reallyy well and made the best of it.

How would you describe you music and which bands would you compare yourself with ?
As comparison is limitation, I wouldn't compare. That said.... well.... I really don't see anything I could say here. You know... i've seen a quote from a jazzman who nailed it right.... He said: ''Writing (talking) about music is like dancing on architecture...'' Now.... with that in mind.... how could I possibly describe our music ? And to be honest... it's really not my part of the game to describe it. Music exists because there is ears to listen to it and feel it, and THEY are the people that are gonna make it whatever they want it to be. So... we have been called Prog, Symphonic, Black Cabaret, Skyzophrenic, Avant-Garde, Circus and many other but, the word that always ends this loooong list of styles is always, of course, metal. Y'know.... Djju Djju... I would like to think of us as contemporary musicians that take everything they know to make the best music possible with the knowledge that they have and the technical skills that they have. If it's good or not.... that's you to Deicide.... (pun intended).

What have you been up to since 2006 and what is your latest update ? What is your plans for this year and beyond ?
Now that the monster ''Fables of the Sleepless Empire'' is out, what we want to focus on is playing shows and make this album live on stage. So... if you read this.... BOOK US. Period. We need to fill that calendar.  
We are scheduled to play on the BRUTAL ASSAULT festival in Czech Republic on August 11th which will be our first big European festival. Looking. Forward. To that. Yup. Yup.
To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?
Well, I happen to still have that fire that we naively all bath in in our teenage years, you know what I'm talking about... the fire. The will to change the world. And I'm now 29 years old so... better get started, right ? I'm not the main lyricist of the band and I am not making a statement that UneXpecT is about THAT specific topic but we do have one song that is about that specific topic and I would like to stress how, in our modern world that is now spinning pointlessly, how important it is that we start aknowledging the fact that we are not alone in the universe and everything it means. At the very least I want to open peoples eyes so that they can talk about that subject seriously without it being automaticly discredited with its usual overwhelming glow of ridicule. The implications of this are absolutely staggering for our world. It is the biggest story ever told and the most important subject to start a new world on new grounds... yeah... just that. Just as with any other subject, people are often skeptical for the wrong reasons. Not skeptical because it is not true. I could go one for hours but... hey...

Thank you to Chaoth for this interview

Their PA profile is here & homepage is here

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 13:47
An unexpected interview, to say the least. LOL
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 14:32
Well, they certainly didn't care very much about that interview...

if you own a sodastream i hate you
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 15:26
How hard is it to answer questions without embarrassing yourself?  Ermm

Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

I (ChaotH) joined the march in 2001 (the very day of the twin tower collapse... isn't it strange ?)

What?

Well, I happen to still have that fire that we naively all bath in in our teenage years, you know what I'm talking about... the fire. The will to change the world. And I'm now 29 years old so... better get started, right ? I'm not the main lyricist of the band and I am not making a statement that UneXpecT is about THAT specific topic but we do have one song that is about that specific topic and I would like to stress how, in our modern world that is now spinning pointlessly, how important it is that we start aknowledging the fact that we are not alone in the universe and everything it means. At the very least I want to open peoples eyes so that they can talk about that subject seriously without it being automaticly discredited with its usual overwhelming glow of ridicule. The implications of this are absolutely staggering for our world. It is the biggest story ever told and the most important subject to start a new world on new grounds... yeah... just that. Just as with any other subject, people are often skeptical for the wrong reasons. Not skeptical because it is not true. I could go one for hours but... hey...

What??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 19:14
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

The whole thing gave me the impression that he wrote the responses in the middle of the night after a gig and at least 5 beers in. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 19:19
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

The whole thing gave me the impression that he wrote the responses in the middle of the night after a gig and at least 5 beers in. 

That's how I answered mine.  Confused

jk

but seriously, I drink most of the day, and I can make more sense when asked things.  I think I rated one of their albums a 1.  Good.

Damn.  Have some dignity.  Being UNEXPECT doesn't mean you have to stop wiping your ass.  Come on.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 21:20
I don't know anything about Unexpect other than I don't care for their music, though I do respect their musicianship quite a bit. This interview hurt my brain.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 06:33
I liked this interview Shocked LOL
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 09:14

I really like their music. And he's a monster bass player.

But that was not a good interview. The 5 beers in seems about right. Should have let one of the other members do it or at least wait till the next morning. Prog is a narrow enough genre that you don't want to piss off your fans.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 10:48

Yeah, he seemed kinda off.

Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 13:12
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

But that was not a good interview. The 5 beers in seems about right. Should have let one of the other members do it or at least wait till the next morning. Prog is a narrow enough genre that you don't want to piss off your fans.

Lol yea, look what happened to Magellan.

EDIT: And Torman Maxt.

Edited by Deathrabbit - June 20 2011 at 13:13
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 13:34
Great interview of equally great band that surprised me a lot.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 13:43
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Lol yea, look what happened to Magellan.

EDIT: And Torman Maxt.

What happened? That was before my time.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 14:02
I'm too lazy to dig up the thread, but basically Trent Gardner came in here and called everybody music thieves and alienated all his best fans. Pretty much everyone quit listening/reviewing Magellan at that point.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 17:12
If you try and figure out a Canadian, your head will explode.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 17:43
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

I'm too lazy to dig up the thread, but basically Trent Gardner came in here and called everybody music thieves and alienated all his best fans. Pretty much everyone quit listening/reviewing Magellan at that point.

I wasn't aware of that, lol.

And in the case of Torman Maxt, when they were the featured artist of the month some special collab ( I don't remember who was) made an XBOXHUGE 1 star review about their featured album and they asked M@X to remove the review at least as long as they were featured. This created a sh*tstorm to end all sh*tstorms in the PA forums and basically caused everybody to hate the Maxt brother who asked for the removal of the review and made everybody dislike/hate their music. Not that they are specially good, but since then they take a lot of heat and if there is any review by them the probability is that they will get bashed. Just take a peak at their PA profile: they ahve at least a 100 1 star reviews.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 20:20
I almost never say this, but it's a fairly weak interview, and not as a fault of Torodd's at all...It feels like the responses of a 13 year old who is texting with her brand new cellphone. I'm amazed by the band's music, but it's fairly clear that they need to take interviews a little more seriously. 
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 21:14

I (ChaotH) joined the march in 2001 (the very day of the twin tower collapse... isn't it strange ?)

What?

What are you whatting at? Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 23:02

Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

What?

What are you whatting at? Confused

You don't find mentioning that bizarre and uncomfortable? I'm afraid that if you don't see why I can't explain it to you. Maybe it's because you were 7 on 9/11...

Edited by Henry Plainview - June 20 2011 at 23:08
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 03:10
Or because the towers fell in September and not march...

And it was I who first slammed Torman Maxt, and Damned proud of it. The review is back up, btw.:D

Can't say much to the interview. Don't listen to the band, but they didn't say anything that made me want to...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>