109 [57.37%]
21 [11.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 16:06
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Siding with the minority and voting for Rush.  I just prefer their overall sound over the Yes sound, and there are more Rush albums I really like than there are Yes albums I really like.
ditto
fuyuakiworld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2011 at 16:15

Although I love Yes, RUSH!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2011 at 19:20
I'm just getting into Rush, and am rather enjoying it... however, Yes is among my very favourites.
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2011 at 12:11
Oh Yes
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 22:52
Take a wild guess of who im voting for.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 02:58
Rush

Rush has never screwed things up like Yes did; Yes did some really weak work IMO - Tormato, Union, Open Your Eyes plus last two ones which did nothing for me, especially Heaven & Earth which was painful to listen to.

Rush's weakest albums for me are Hold Your fire and Vapor Trails but they are still listenable. Rush has never released an album I'd say it's "bad". Yes did. Embarrassed

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 03:21
I don't listen to either band very often but going by their best work I prefer Yes by far. I wonder if there's some kind of North America vs. Europe cultural clash at work by the way, I get the impression Rush way are more popular on their own side of the Atlantic than here where I live. They're usually brought up around here as an example of a group who are more influential than popular.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 04:05
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Yes by far, never cared much for Rush.

Same for me
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 07:05
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

Yes by far, never cared much for Rush.

Same for me
agreed.  my sister was a big Rush fan but i found listening to them second-hand more than sufficient. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 07:25
I don't care which one's better.
I like listening to Rush more than I like listening to Yes.
So that's how I voted.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 07:29
sh*t..... Yes is better than Rush. BOTH ARE f**kING FANTASTIC THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Progrockdude
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 11:52
Rush for me. I really like Yes, but Rush is one of my favorite bands.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:08
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Rush

Rush has never screwed things up like Yes did; Yes did some really weak work IMO - Tormato, Union, Open Your Eyes plus last two ones which did nothing for me, especially Heaven & Earth which was painful to listen to.

Rush's weakest albums for me are Hold Your fire and Vapor Trails but they are still listenable. Rush has never released an album I'd say it's "bad". Yes did. Embarrassed

Highly agree with this, but I'd rather listen to a band with high ups and low downs, than a consistent one. Plus, I didn't really care for much of their nineties work.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:37

Rush's weakest albums for me are Presto and Roll The Bones but they are still listenable.

Fixed. Wink
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Highly agree with this, but I'd rather listen to a band with high ups and low downs, than a consistent one. Plus, I didn't really care for much of their nineties work.

For the most part, post-70s Yes doesn't measure up to their heyday, while Rush continue to surprise us and reinvigorate themselves. Yes has ridden their own coattails for many years. Their lowest low is lower than any other classic prog band's, with the exception of (arguably) ELP. I love Drama (technically a
70s album), most of 90125 and the new material on Keys To Ascension, but apart from those albums, you have to really scrap the barrel after Big Generator (or in my case, don't bother, because there are many other great bands to choose from that aren't phoning it in).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 22:18
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rush's weakest albums for me are Presto and Roll The Bones but they are still listenable.

Fixed. Wink

For the most part, post-70s Yes doesn't measure up to their heyday, while Rush continue to surprise us and reinvigorate themselves. Yes has ridden their own coattails for many years. Their lowest low is lower than any other classic prog band's, with the exception of (arguably) ELP. I love Drama (technically a
70s album), most of 90125 and the new material on Keys To Ascension, but apart from those albums, you have to really scrap the barrel after Big Generator (or in my case, don't bother, because there are many other great bands to choose from that aren't phoning it in).

After Big Generator, I think at least Endless Dream from Talk is up to Yes's 70's standards. Also Magnification has many really wonderful songs, specially noteworthy is In the Presence Of, which is the song that sounds most like a 70's classic Yes song since... well, the 70's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 22:33
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Fixed. Wink

After Big Generator, I think at least Endless Dream from Talk is up to Yes's 70's standards. Also Magnification has many really wonderful songs, specially noteworthy is In the Presence Of, which is the song that sounds most like a 70's classic Yes song since... well, the 70's.
Magnification, from start to finish is a quality album. It doesn't get enough praise as it should on here. As for Talk, that also matches up to the quality of the 70's but you're right, it doesn't get much better from there.
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 23:00
Both in my top 3. I do like Rush's nerdy lyrics over Yes's pseudo-spiritual stuff. Jon Anderson smokes Geddy in singing though, but he's not slapping the bass like a pro so...it all comes down to the music. I think Yes has slightly more transcendent music so Yes. 
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 17:00
If you'd asked me 20 years ago, I'd have chosen Rush. I was Rush crazy for a while!

But now I have to say Yes.  I agree with some here who have suggested that Rush has been more consistent overall in producing good/great albums.  However, I think Yes's high points outweigh anything that Rush produced. For me, as a musical experience, its hard to beat Close to the Edge, Fragile, parts of the Yes Album, some of Magnification, Drama, and Time and a Word. But especially Relayer: Gates of Delirium is my fave masterpiece of prog. 

It is perhaps true that Rush has worn out a bit for me too--I used to listen to them waay too much, and now I've lost the desire to listen much anymore except on occasion. The best, most enduring Rush for me now is Hemispheres.
Z
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 17:09

As for Talk, that also matches up to the quality of the 70's

70s Yes was never as boring as "Walls," I'm afraid to say. Talk isn't anywhere near as good as 90125 nor Big Generator, for that matter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 17:41
Sick Sorry, I feel a little nauseous when Big Generator is mentioned as being "good".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>