Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...
    Posted: April 11 2013 at 13:00
Radiohead is obviously not progressive in the symphonic rock sense, or in the sense of doing crazy time signatures and insane instrumental playing, but from an experimental standpoint in the sense of writing songs, they are one of the most progressive bands of the last 20 years. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 04:07
Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Coldplay aren't *that* bad IMHO........we all have different views.

If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...

If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...
[/QUOTE]

From what your stating here I assume you have not heard anything past "The Bends", which in my opinion is a great contemporary rock album (not prog at all) but your view is that it is boring. Again, each to their own but in my opinion  it is one of the great rock albums of the nineties. But again that is my opinion, not yours.

If you had listened to "The Beatles" only up until "Beatles For Sale" then you will possibly have a similar sentiment for them.

"OK Computer" is the transition album as IMO "Rubber Soul" was for The Beatles. Then came "Kid A" (read "Revolver" for the Beatles) which (Kid A) was 180 degree shift from anything previous and every album since has been extremely experimental and (again) IMHO prog. Maybe have a listen to post OK Computer albums and then comment.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 03:37
Yes, but those i like, prog or not.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 03:09
Some think Pink Floyd are not prog, and Jethro Tull are not prog, and Rush are not prog, etc.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:21
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I dont like Radiohead much, been trying because some of my friends do, they just dont click with me. 
but im not saying they are not prog, dosent change anything if they are prog or not, i just know i dont like them much.
Im bored after 2nd track. 

You don't have to read this discussion topic.  I don't read topics about bands I'm not interested in.
I dont have to read any topic, but in this case i did.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 21:27

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Apart from OK Computer, Kid A has a lot more to do with Krautrock than Coldplay (whom Radiohead predate anyway, so it's a strange comparison).  You may or may not think Everything in its Right place or Morning Bell are prog, but they certainly aren't like commercial Britpop at all.  Even Steve Reich loves Everything in its Right place.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 15:17

Listened to "Paranoid Android" and It's Ok, but IMO they are more Prog Related... reminds me early Muse...

I really like the drumming, guitar and voice are Ok, but I should listen more to have a more solid opinion because I only listened their early albums and you said me than they later became more prog
I'm not valuing your opinion when you've listened to one track. Do as you say and listen to some more and then form an opinion.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:25
This thread has been going on for long enough that I am probably going to restate something I wrote earlier.  I took an interest in the band thanks to Steven Wilson putting a good word for them on this site and the site would up being one of primary avenues for exploring the band.  I kind of hopped around in my explorations, starting out with Pablo Honey, because it was dirt cheap used.  I remember Creep getting a lot of radio play back when the album was used and I really did not like the song.  If the band had only put out albums like that, then they would have no place at this site, but the last song on it, Blow Out, showed some potential.  Even if you dismiss all the other tracks on The Bends, Fade Out is really good.

I jumped to Amnesiac and that was what hooked me.  I was also considering Kid A, but from the album title, it sounded like it might be a pop album.

In the end whether or not you consider them prog is dependent on how narrowly or broadly you define prog.  I am not a small tenter and would have approved them for crossover, if they hadn't been here already when I was on the team doing evaluations.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Symphonicrockfran View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 10:18
Listened to "Paranoid Android" and It's Ok, but IMO they are more Prog Related... reminds me early Muse...

I really like the drumming, guitar and voice are Ok, but I should listen more to have a more solid opinion because I only listened their early albums and you said me than they later became more prog

Edited by Symphonicrockfran - March 19 2013 at 10:19
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 10:05

You need to go to the next album 'Ok Computer' and the albums following that. They've released 6 albums after The Bends all a lot more proggy. Ok Computer is a stone cold classic and was released 16 years ago!

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - March 19 2013 at 10:07
Ian

Symphonicrockfran View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:54

Edited by Symphonicrockfran - March 19 2013 at 09:57
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:50

I dont like Radiohead much, been trying because some of my friends do, they just dont click with me. 
but im not saying they are not prog, dosent change anything if they are prog or not, i just know i dont like them much.

You don't have to read this discussion topic.  I don't read topics about bands I'm not interested in.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Lets agree to call it prog - Radiohead, Coldplay, REM, Muse, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, the lot.
Lets call it all prog, because it sounds sooooo much better if you call it prog. Dead

What im saying lets spend more time talking about what we like about music, band, artist.
And stop all this about how prog or not prog it is.
Well that's kind of tough when this is a prog discussion site.

I like Muse a lot but there is no way they are as experimental as Radiohead, comparing Radiohead to Coldplay is just bizarre (and I like Coldplay too!)

Just because its a prog site, dosent mean, its important to allways focus on putting everything into genre boxing.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:38

Lets agree to call it prog - Radiohead, Coldplay, REM, Muse, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, the lot.
Lets call it all prog, because it sounds sooooo much better if you call it prog. Dead

What im saying lets spend more time talking about what we like about music, band, artist.
Well that's kind of tough when this is a prog discussion site.

I like Muse a lot but there is no way they are as experimental as Radiohead, comparing Radiohead to Coldplay is just bizarre (and I like Coldplay too!)
Ian

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 06:56
Radiohead incorporate more experimentation and carefully consider their song-structures and textures of sound moreso than most of their contemporaries. Having said, I dislike (intensely) that 'Creep' song of theirs, listened to O.K. Computer when it came out and thought they were trying hard to rip off Floyd and Porcupine Tree (at least in atmosphere) but still remaining firmly an 'indie' band.................................Fast forward.......................I bought the dbl 10" vinyl edition of Kid A to see what all the fuss was about, and, lo and behold, what a fantastic album it turned out to be.  It is definately a progressive work, although not in the 'traditional' sense.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 05:43
Maybe there should be a cull - let's delete bands from the database who are only tenuously progesque, in a bad light, from a distance, sorta kinda
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 05:39

If you want to include a new band on PA, :

Otherwise I just dont get how it becomes this important if Radiohead is Prog or not, or how prog on a scale from 1-5 is wilson (yesterdays topic). Its music !  its not important to design a perfect box to fit it into.  
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If someone say Radiohead are like Coldplay then that person has not heard Radiohead. Or at least the correct Radiohead.

and that person doesn't think Coldplay copied Kraftwerk at all ever. LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:39
If someone say Radiohead are like Coldplay then that person has not heard Radiohead. Or at least the correct Radiohead.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 04:34

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>