Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why we can call Radiohead a prog rock band imo...

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 30 2007
Location: Anti-Cool (anag
Status: Offline
Points: 2167
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:50
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I dont like Radiohead much, been trying because some of my friends do, they just dont click with me. 
but im not saying they are not prog, dosent change anything if they are prog or not, i just know i dont like them much.
Im bored after 2nd track. 
 
 
 
 
You don't have to read this discussion topic.  I don't read topics about bands I'm not interested in.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Back to Top
Symphonicrockfran View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: November 10 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 35
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symphonicrockfran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Coldplay aren't *that* bad IMHO........we all have different views.



If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...


Edited by Symphonicrockfran - March 19 2013 at 09:57
Back to Top
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Joined: March 16 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 3657
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 10:05
Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Coldplay aren't *that* bad IMHO........we all have different views.



If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...
You need to go to the next album 'Ok Computer' and the albums following that. They've released 6 albums after The Bends all a lot more proggy. Ok Computer is a stone cold classic and was released 16 years ago!

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - March 19 2013 at 10:07
Ian

Anyone who thinks Kansas is Prog get out of the room - Adolf Hitler

Back to Top
Symphonicrockfran View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: November 10 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 35
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Symphonicrockfran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 10:18
Listened to "Paranoid Android" and It's Ok, but IMO they are more Prog Related... reminds me early Muse...


I really like the drumming, guitar and voice are Ok, but I should listen more to have a more solid opinion because I only listened their early albums and you said me than they later became more prog


Edited by Symphonicrockfran - March 19 2013 at 10:19
Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Status: Offline
Points: 27290
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:25
This thread has been going on for long enough that I am probably going to restate something I wrote earlier.  I took an interest in the band thanks to Steven Wilson putting a good word for them on this site and the site would up being one of primary avenues for exploring the band.  I kind of hopped around in my explorations, starting out with Pablo Honey, because it was dirt cheap used.  I remember Creep getting a lot of radio play back when the album was used and I really did not like the song.  If the band had only put out albums like that, then they would have no place at this site, but the last song on it, Blow Out, showed some potential.  Even if you dismiss all the other tracks on The Bends, Fade Out is really good.

I jumped to Amnesiac and that was what hooked me.  I was also considering Kid A, but from the album title, it sounded like it might be a pop album.

In the end whether or not you consider them prog is dependent on how narrowly or broadly you define prog.  I am not a small tenter and would have approved them for crossover, if they hadn't been here already when I was on the team doing evaluations.
Back to Top
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Joined: March 16 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 3657
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 15:17
Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

Listened to "Paranoid Android" and It's Ok, but IMO they are more Prog Related... reminds me early Muse...


I really like the drumming, guitar and voice are Ok, but I should listen more to have a more solid opinion because I only listened their early albums and you said me than they later became more prog
I'm not valuing your opinion when you've listened to one track. Do as you say and listen to some more and then form an opinion.
Ian

Anyone who thinks Kansas is Prog get out of the room - Adolf Hitler

Back to Top
rogerthat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Joined: September 03 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 5670
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 21:27
Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Coldplay aren't *that* bad IMHO........we all have different views.



If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...

Apart from OK Computer, Kid A has a lot more to do with Krautrock than Coldplay (whom Radiohead predate anyway, so it's a strange comparison).  You may or may not think Everything in its Right place or Morning Bell are prog, but they certainly aren't like commercial Britpop at all.  Even Steve Reich loves Everything in its Right place.
Back to Top
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 06 2009
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 3932
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:21
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I dont like Radiohead much, been trying because some of my friends do, they just dont click with me. 
but im not saying they are not prog, dosent change anything if they are prog or not, i just know i dont like them much.
Im bored after 2nd track. 
 
 
 
 
You don't have to read this discussion topic.  I don't read topics about bands I'm not interested in.
I dont have to read any topic, but in this case i did.
Back to Top
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 30 2007
Location: Anti-Cool (anag
Status: Offline
Points: 2167
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 03:09
Some think Pink Floyd are not prog, and Jethro Tull are not prog, and Rush are not prog, etc.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Back to Top
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 06 2009
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 3932
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 03:37
Yes, but those i like, prog or not.
Back to Top
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 28 2010
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Status: Offline
Points: 678
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 04:07
Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Symphonicrockfran Symphonicrockfran wrote:

I think that Muse are much more "progressive" and talented than Radiohead...

IMO, Radiohead is closer to the comercial and boring pop rock stuff that Coldplay "plays" than to the "Prog Related" term.

Incorrect all round IMHO. The Muse are deadly dull IMHO and derivative. Radiohead are refreshingly different and excellent and prog........IMHO.

Coldplay aren't *that* bad IMHO........we all have different views.



If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...


If Im Incorrect please show me the "Prog Side" of this band, because I listened to the Bends and High and Drive is a tune with the same boring style of Coldplay. 

If Im incorrect please teach me, perhaps, I change my opinion and learn a lot, perhaps not...
[/QUOTE]

From what your stating here I assume you have not heard anything past "The Bends", which in my opinion is a great contemporary rock album (not prog at all) but your view is that it is boring. Again, each to their own but in my opinion  it is one of the great rock albums of the nineties. But again that is my opinion, not yours.

If you had listened to "The Beatles" only up until "Beatles For Sale" then you will possibly have a similar sentiment for them.

"OK Computer" is the transition album as IMO "Rubber Soul" was for The Beatles. Then came "Kid A" (read "Revolver" for the Beatles) which (Kid A) was 180 degree shift from anything previous and every album since has been extremely experimental and (again) IMHO prog. Maybe have a listen to post OK Computer albums and then comment.
Back to Top
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: February 13 2010
Location: St. Louis, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 146
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 13:00
Radiohead is obviously not progressive in the symphonic rock sense, or in the sense of doing crazy time signatures and insane instrumental playing, but from an experimental standpoint in the sense of writing songs, they are one of the most progressive bands of the last 20 years. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.