Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single malts and other whiskies/whiskeys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Any Single Malts drinkers here???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [25.64%]
6 [15.38%]
1 [2.56%]
7 [17.95%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
3 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [17.95%]
2 [5.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavetheSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 07:31
Hah - I'm one of those people that Whiskey purists want to shoot in that I drink it with coke LOL.
Best for me is Bourbon though - Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels and my favorite - Wild Turkey.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 07:48
Originally posted by DavetheSlave DavetheSlave wrote:

Hah - I'm one of those people that Whiskey purists want to shoot in that I drink it with coke LOL.
Best for me is Bourbon though - Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels and my favorite - Wild Turkey.

With coke I would call it Cold Turkey, but I like my whisky pure and without ice cubes.

(Btw, I don't want to shoot non-purists, I'd rather try to teach them some good taste).

Edited by someone_else - June 27 2011 at 07:56
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 13:08
Originally posted by DavetheSlave DavetheSlave wrote:

Hey, Jack and Coke, Makers and Coke, Jim and Coke....all fine.

If you order a Johnnie Walker Black or anything above $30/bottle in a liquor store and have em put coke it it, I might have to revoke your man card and slap you.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 04:35
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Drinking an almost-daily dram of Dalwhinnie, now

But given the 30°C (well 27° at 11PM), I've put some rocks into my glencairn glass >>I don't like it too warm >> really prefer my Single Malts between 12 and 18°

I hate whiskey on the rocks. I suppose I've never tried chilling it in the freezer, but it gets immediately watery. No, nope, nopes.

Well I'm not for rocks systematically...

I just dislike drinking it above 22°C (I usually keep my bottles in a fairly cool place ( not the cellar, because it's not handy)  and the last couple of days have been murder (32 ° during dayrtime and 27° at night)

-------------------

A lot of Single malt drinkers (and some really dedicated drinkers) will put water in their malts, they're quite against the cooling of chilling...  I dare say it can liberate some flavours.... but NEVER put in  chemical-filled tap water!!!  (Actually I make my rocks with spring water).

I search neither cooling or chilling (even cooling in my case is keeping it "fresh" and letting it warm in the glass), but keeping the bottles at room temp, I find it looses a bit a flavour (spirit vapours inside the bottle are lost, once opened), especially in over-heat dedicated whiskey bars under a spot for better vision to clients... I take it the SM can climb to 35°C in those conditions.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 10:00
I am so far away from being a whiskey connoisseur, but my old school buddy almost weekly receives a bottle of single malt from his dad, who frequently visits Scotland and Ireland.
I will say, that I tend to like my whiskeys a bit smokey and oaky - and my current fave was an Islay whiskey - consumed over a longish evening on my friend´s porch overlooking a furious thunderstorm, listening to Still Life by Van Der Graff Generator. Those lightnings, the smokeyness of the whiskey and that tormented sax from Jackson made that night, one I won´t forget anytime soon.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Livin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 10:16
While I enjoy many of the malts, my preference is actually a blended whisky. On the malt side, I tend to enjoy the peaty tastes of the west to the lighter Speysides, but it is only a matter of degrees.

By the way, Scottish whisky (Scotch) is spelled without the e, while Irish is whiskey (not correcting anyone there).

I've never heard of Welsh whiskey, but I believe there is now a distillery in Norfolk, England.

Best way to drink whisky? My preference is equal parts whisky and water, with ice if the water is not cold.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 10:59
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I've never heard of Welsh whiskey

I can't remember the name, but our local pub has a Welsh single malt; I did try it, but it was definitely not to my taste

This, on the other hand is a stunner:

Distilled in Bangalore, India - smooth, fruity & absolutely delicious

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 11:29
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I've never heard of Welsh whiskey

I can't remember the name, but our local pub has a Welsh single malt; I did try it, but it was definitely not to my taste

I was given Penderyn welsh single malt at a wedding in Wales and it was bloody awful and I couldn't drink it.
I like Highland Park in particular but drink a variety of single malts whenever I can - especially when someone else is footing the bill. However, like Easy Livin' I actually prefer a blend - Johnny Walker Black label to anything else.
As for watering Scotch down, well all the connoseurs I know say you should either take water with your single malt or pour over a single ice cube preferably made from some poncy mineral water ( and rolled over a vrgin's thigh no doubt) to get the full taste benefit.
Even better get Cask Strength and start by adding a drop of water and dilute to taste.

Edited by Tony R - June 28 2011 at 11:36
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 11:34
My brother in law, a heathen Scot, refuses to serve anything other than cheap whisky to anyone who wants to mix it. He had a bottle of JW Blue Label (@£140 a bottle) and duly dolled it out but had a fit when a female guest asked for the ginger bottle. Needless to say she got some horrific Aldi whisky my mother in law got him for Xmas instead.

Edited by Tony R - June 28 2011 at 11:34
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 11:38
I see his logic, at that price I would feel that people were throwing away my beautiful liquids.
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmetalhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 12:31

The distillery in Norfolk, England is St.Georges distillery.

Commencing in late 2006 they produced England's first whisky in December 2009 for over 100 years. The spirit cannot be called a whisky unless it is 3 years old.

I've been a few times and it tastes great already.

Surprised you didn't like Penderyn Tony, you must have had the wrong bottle for your taste. Like most distilleries they produce several different types. I like it Tongue

I went to Highland Park's distillery in The Orkney's in April, also one of my favourites.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Japan. You need to try Nikka and Yamazaki. IMO as good as Scotland's best.

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 12:52

Bushmills is the oldest distillery in the world and has a splendid view over the waters to Islay in Scotland; the route where the art of whisky making was exported to Scotland some hundred years ago. Bushmills is a whiskey not to be underestimated.  .......And it is from one of the finest coastlines in Europe.

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - June 28 2011 at 13:18
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 14:37
Coincidentally ITVs Countrywise (on now) features a visit to Penderyn Distillery.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 03:58
Originally posted by progmetalhead progmetalhead wrote:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Japan. You need to try Nikka and Yamazaki. IMO as good as Scotland's best.

I did in my opening post, although I didn't name the two SM

From what I remember in the sampling session I participated in somùe two years ago.... if you're a fan of the smokier Ardberg or Laphroiac Malts, then these two Japanese malts can be up your alley.

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I mentioned it earlier but mispelt the name
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmetalhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 04:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by progmetalhead progmetalhead wrote:

I did in my opening post, although I didn't name the two SM

From what I remember in the sampling session I participated in somùe two years ago.... if you're a fan of the smokier Ardberg or Laphroiac Malts, then these two Japanese malts can be up your alley.

More like Speysides IMO Tongue

http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 07:00
My two favourites are Laphraoig and Talisker.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 09:35
I don't know a lot about whisky.  Thus I prefer blended stuff, but Black Label or CHivas if I can afford it.  I occasionally have a malt but I don't like it too peaty or smokey.  My usual is THe Famous Grouse which is good enough for me thanks very much.,
Help me I'm falling!
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 10:13

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My two favourites are Laphraoig and Talisker.

I have been to both distilleries on my (push)bike after some long rides.  

Their geography is giving the single malts their taste. That is what I really like about single malt whiskies: Show me a picture of the distillery and it's geography and I can tell you how the whisky taste. Bunnahabhain from Islay is the only exception from this rule and I have no idea why this whisky taste like a Speyside. But the rest...... look at the map and pictures of their surroundings (hint: Google Earth) and you can almost taste the whisky.

Laphroaig: With the back against one of the biggest & smelliest peat bogs I have ever seen on an island (ok, Isle Of Lewis has far bigger ones) and facing the ferocious Atlantic Ocean; the taste of the 10 years old is not a surprise at all. The warehouses is also just a few meters from the Atlantic Ocean and the wooden barrel both breathes in and out. 

Talisker: Sheltered in a bay from the Atlantic Ocean on a rocky, volcanic island with several springs coming up from the old lava, the taste is not a surprise at all. Isle Of Skye...... what an island ! I love that island.   

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 10:17
I'm a blended man.  My faves (in order):

1.Haig & Haig Pinch (at home with close friends)
2.Johnnie Walker Black Label (on the town with a good meal, steak)
3.Dewar's White Label (out drinking to get blotto)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 10:49
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I'm a blended man.  My faves (in order):

1.Haig & Haig Pinch (at home with close friends)
2.Johnnie Walker Black Label (on the town with a good meal, steak)
3.Dewar's White Label (out drinking to get blotto)

That's chez moiApprove!!! In Brussels

(not the original whisky though)

---------------------------

Here is my selection (call it a shrine if you will)  in Holland dating of five months ago

Edited by Sean Trane - June 29 2011 at 11:07
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>