Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single malts and other whiskies/whiskeys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Any Single Malts drinkers here???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [25.64%]
6 [15.38%]
1 [2.56%]
7 [17.95%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
3 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [17.95%]
2 [5.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 05:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My two favourites are Laphraoig and Talisker.

I was just going to mention the exact same two names. Amazing! Shocked

DavetheSlave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavetheSlave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 06:11
We get a Bourbon here in S.A. called Fighting Cock and holy moly that stuff is kinda mean. Chivas and Coke Big smile mannnn - now that's the stuff. Obviously when Stonebeard aint watching Evil Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 06:53
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Excellent taste, my friend.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 09:45

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Excellent taste, my friend.

So is yours CoolApproveClap
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 13:02
I have a drink of whisky pretty much every night.  I usually drink blended (Bell's or Grant's) with ice.  I cannot afford to drink single malts all of the time, but every now and then I will buy a bootle of Glenfiddich or Glen Livet.  Not so keen on the Islay malts (I don't know whether to drink them or rub them on).  Irish whiskey is a bit on the sweet side but Sainsbury's do a really good own brand Irish single malt  for about £15 which is delicious.  I also find bourbon rather sweet, but I do quite enjoy Clarke's Kentucky bourbon which you can get in Aldi for about £10 and in my opinion it has a fuller, more rounded flavour than Jack Daniels which cost twice as much.

Obviously, if I was rolling in money, I would only drink expensive single malts but in my case my taste is determined by my wallet.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 22:29
My faves are Buchanans 18 years and JW Green Label
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 08:09
Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

My faves are Buchanans 18 years and JW Green Label

I've found the Green Label interesting with the mix of malts from Talisker, Linkwood, Cragganmore and Caol Ila.

I'd love them to develop another mixture of single malts.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 17:58
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Have a bottle of Glenfidditch now, my first single malt bottle.

It's ok, not willing to say excellent yet, but it is only 12 years aged.

Good suggestions of where to go from here? For reference, Jameson is ok, Jack Daniels is ok, and Jonnie Walker Black is the best I've had of blends.
Well if you'e not finding the entry-level Fiddich (it's a typical Speyside product) spritually uplifting, you might want to try out a highland malt like a Dalwhinnie 15y (a little grassier) or GlenMorangie 

If you like something a bit harsher or stronger-tasting, the Island malts are definitely less consensual.... due in no small part to the weather conditions there >> it rains much more on the West Coast than the East coast, and the ocean waves spray some salty sprayings over the barley fields >> they also tend to smoke the malts quite a bit in that region >> I'd suggest you a Lagavullin in that direction

if you like something smoother (didn't say sweeter), the Lowland malts like Glenkinchie or Autentochan are easier going down ...

if you want sweeter, the Canadian ryes are generally considered sweet (but it's not like there is sugar in there) >> I like crown royal or the Canadian Club Classic

Irish Malts like Jameson & Bushmills are more like Speyside, IMHO

I'd tend to agree that among the blended the JW Black is the better ratio taste/price... Chivas Regal is superior in taste but £$€€€$£

Bump.

Just bought a bottle of Cragganmore. Much better on first impression than Glenfidditch. I really wanted to try Talisker 10, but $70 is...nah. Next time, I'll probably try Dalwhinnie 15 or Glanmorganie. If I'm feeling up to it, I might go Macallan.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 19:17
Jura
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 20:18
I'm Scottish and I heartily loathe whisky Embarrassed

(name and address withheld)

Edited by ExittheLemming - December 17 2011 at 20:30
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 01:54
All that stuff makes me puke just smelling it. I likeSmoke.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 06:52
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

All that stuff makes me puke just smelling it. I likeSmoke.

Your Islay is Jamaica?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 06:59
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm Scottish and I heartily loathe whisky Embarrassed

(name and address withheld)

We now know why you moved away!

'Chivas Regal' for Christmas.

Help me I'm falling!
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Miracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2011 at 19:18
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Your Islay is Jamaica?

Nah, it's the sunny SoCalApproveCool
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2011 at 11:32
Not an expert on this though I never say no to a scotch. US bourbon is good too.
I prefer Gin and Vodka overall, and Absinthe of course. Big smile

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2011 at 16:33

Just bought a bottle of Cragganmore. Much better on first impression than Glenfidditch. I really wanted to try Talisker 10, but $70 is...nah. Next time, I'll probably try Dalwhinnie 15 or Glenmorganie. If I'm feeling up to it, I might go Macallan.
A Talisker 10Y for $70.00Shocked.... suggest you look elsewhere... the stuff goes for something like €35.00 in Europe..; Craggan is a good Speyside
I'm down to the last third of my Clynelish (most Northeast malt except for the Orkney Islands).... Savoury, but I'll go to my favored Dalmore Gran Reserva next.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 21:46
Bumpsy.

Hokay update time...

Scotchs in order of my trying:

-Glenfidditch 12 (decent and light, the most obviously citrus-y of the one's I've had)
-Cragganmore 12 (smooth and light, middle of the road, not offensive)
-Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 (had to be in a mood for this one, bold and intense, but little burn)
-Aberlour 12

I just bought the Aberlour today and I'm having it now. I had planned on getting Macallan 12, but this was cheaper and I liked the tasting notes. I figured I might not be an Isley kind of scotch man, as the intensity of the salt and iodine doesn't seem like it would agree with me. On the other hand I'm not the biggest fan of Glenfidditch 12 and Cragganmore 12, so I think something malty, spicy, and toffee-reminiscent might suit me instead of something citrus like. I can't comment on the Aberlour yet, but I would say it does benefit from just a tad of filtered water added. There is a distinctly alcoholy-ness to it that the other didn't have.

I still need to refine my palette and sense of smell and taste identification. I don't have any idea what peat or iodine issupposed to smell or taste like...

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2012 at 22:04

something malty, spicy, and toffee-reminiscent

That's what I'd like too, let me know when you find a good one
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2012 at 05:00

Bumpsy.

Hokay update time...

Scotchs in order of my trying:

-Glenfidditch 12 (decent and light, the most obviously citrus-y of the one's I've had)
-Cragganmore 12 (smooth and light, middle of the road, not offensive)
-Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 (had to be in a mood for this one, bold and intense, but little burn) >> I absolutely love this one >> bought it last week... love the Porto wood finnish
-Aberlour 12

I just bought the Aberlour today and I'm having it now. I had planned on getting Macallan 12, but this was cheaper and I liked the tasting notes. I figured I might not be an Isley kind of scotch man, as the intensity of the salt and iodine doesn't seem like it would agree with me. On the other hand I'm not the biggest fan of Glenfidditch 12 and Cragganmore 12, so I think something malty, spicy, and toffee-reminiscent might suit me instead of something citrus like. I can't comment on the Aberlour yet, but I would say it does benefit from just a tad of filtered water added. There is a distinctly alcoholy-ness to it that the other didn't have.

I still need to refine my palette and sense of smell and taste identification. I don't have any idea what peat or iodine issupposed to smell or taste like...

Well, with Aberlour, I'd have splurged the extra 5 to 7 €$£ to get the 16y, which is great improvement on the 12y

As for the Islay malts (or western island as a whole), the salty-iodine flavours are not exactly the main characterics from those distelleries, rather than very peaty to very smoky (it's not the same) that are very predominent.. I suppose it kind of depends on where they place the barley to be germinated over the burning peat... if they place it directly above the fire, it gets very smokey, and if they place it on the periphery, than it's probably the peat aromas that dominate more.

so peat is kind on an earthy smell, while smoky is rather an old uncleaned ashtray smell (fairly similar to those Lap-Souchong chinese teas)

-----------------------------------

Right now, I've got

in my Dutch pad:
Dalmore 15y Gran Reserva
Balblair 1989 vintage
Morangie 12y Quinta Ruban

in my Brussels pad:
Aberlour 16y
Macallan 10y - sherry oak

I'm probably going to switch the Balblair for the Aberlour, because my three Highlands are together, while my two Speyside are on the other side.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2012 at 00:02
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well, with Aberlour, I'd have splurged the extra 5 to 7 €$£ to get the 16y, which is great improvement on the 12y

Eh, it was a solid $20 more for the next highest vintage, can't recall the year though. Probably would have gone with The Macallan if I had a choice again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>