Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Single malts and other whiskies/whiskeys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Any Single Malts drinkers here???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [21.21%]
6 [18.18%]
1 [3.03%]
7 [21.21%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Moderator / Psych / Avant / Neo Teams

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single malts and other whiskies/whiskeys
    Posted: December 30 2012 at 04:50
Fiddich has got better than previously indeed ... my tuppenny. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Moderator / Psych / Avant / Neo Teams

Post Options Post Options   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 04:53
The word "Scotch" reminds me Isla ... Port Ellen (closed sadly) and old Laphroaig are terrific indeed. Beer
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 05:11
Originally posted by stonebeard

Being as I'm still new to the game, I think I might be able to name all of the whiskeys I've had:

Samples I've had:

Lagavulin 12
Oban 14
Springbank 10
Ardbeg 10
Bunnahabain 12
Highland Park 18
Glenlivet 18
Glenfidditch 15
Macallan 18

Bottles I've had:

Macallan 12
Glanmorangie Quinta Ruban
Laphroaig 10
Glenfidditch 12
Cragganmore 12
Arbelour 12

Plus one or two I've forgotten. I only had the slightest of sips of the Macallan 18, but it was seriously f**king good. Highland Park 18 is next, and probably Springbank 10 after. I'm trying to get into the Islay malts, but it's difficult.

Yeah, HP seems to be fairly popular (not speaking of sales number) among SM fans... I must say that I've yet to taste any (the smoky/peaty references in reviews are a drawback for me), but I like it's direct Orkney Island neighbour Scapa quite a bit

In your list, my preferred are Macallan 18y (though I found the Livett 18y impressive) and the Morangie Quinta Ruban, (somewhat better than the Lasanta I'm currebntly drinking)

Originally posted by otto pankrock

Picked up some Glenfiddich 15yr. Beautiful stuff. Don't claim to be an expert by any means but man, WoW.

Yeah, if I find the 12Y rather insignificant, the 15Y is their best, IMHO.... even better than the 18Y, which I do not find an, improvement in terms of tastes and aromas

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 05:23
The Benelux and France hasve a few single man distillers >> the stuff is much cheaper than the Scottish equivalent for some relatively similar performances (so in some ways, it's often a much better qualityprice ratio)

Belgium has two of them:
Goldlys (the regular is smooth, but go for the specials (Manzanilla and SM) are much better)
The Belgian Owl is very well rated, but nothing more than 5y available (they started 7 seven years ago) >> I can imagine it' future greatness but right now, it's fairly rough going down so far

The Netherlands has two of them as well
Fryske Hinder is quite a very good thingie, but hard to find (small quantities)
Millstone (I think) is the other >> haven't tasted it yet

France: we all know France is more into Cognac and its cousin Armagnac or Calvados, but Britany has at least two distillers

I tried the Armorik 10Y >>> quite interesting (didn't stay long enough to investigate the others)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345