Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single malts and other whiskies/whiskeys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Any Single Malts drinkers here???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [25.64%]
6 [15.38%]
1 [2.56%]
7 [17.95%]
1 [2.56%]
2 [5.13%]
3 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [17.95%]
2 [5.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 04:50
Fiddich has got better than previously indeed ... my tuppenny. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 04:53
The word "Scotch" reminds me Isla ... Port Ellen (closed sadly) and old Laphroaig are terrific indeed. Beer
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 05:11
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Being as I'm still new to the game, I think I might be able to name all of the whiskeys I've had:

Samples I've had:

Lagavulin 12
Oban 14
Springbank 10
Ardbeg 10
Bunnahabain 12
Highland Park 18
Glenlivet 18
Glenfidditch 15
Macallan 18

Bottles I've had:

Macallan 12
Glanmorangie Quinta Ruban
Laphroaig 10
Glenfidditch 12
Cragganmore 12
Arbelour 12

Plus one or two I've forgotten. I only had the slightest of sips of the Macallan 18, but it was seriously f**king good. Highland Park 18 is next, and probably Springbank 10 after. I'm trying to get into the Islay malts, but it's difficult.

Yeah, HP seems to be fairly popular (not speaking of sales number) among SM fans... I must say that I've yet to taste any (the smoky/peaty references in reviews are a drawback for me), but I like it's direct Orkney Island neighbour Scapa quite a bit

In your list, my preferred are Macallan 18y (though I found the Livett 18y impressive) and the Morangie Quinta Ruban, (somewhat better than the Lasanta I'm currebntly drinking)

Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Picked up some Glenfiddich 15yr. Beautiful stuff. Don't claim to be an expert by any means but man, WoW.

Yeah, if I find the 12Y rather insignificant, the 15Y is their best, IMHO.... even better than the 18Y, which I do not find an, improvement in terms of tastes and aromas

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2013 at 05:23
The Benelux and France hasve a few single man distillers >> the stuff is much cheaper than the Scottish equivalent for some relatively similar performances (so in some ways, it's often a much better qualityprice ratio)

Belgium has two of them:
Goldlys (the regular is smooth, but go for the specials (Manzanilla and SM) are much better)
The Belgian Owl is very well rated, but nothing more than 5y available (they started 7 seven years ago) >> I can imagine it' future greatness but right now, it's fairly rough going down so far

The Netherlands has two of them as well
Fryske Hinder is quite a very good thingie, but hard to find (small quantities)
Millstone (I think) is the other >> haven't tasted it yet

France: we all know France is more into Cognac and its cousin Armagnac or Calvados, but Britany has at least two distillers

I tried the Armorik 10Y >>> quite interesting (didn't stay long enough to investigate the others)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 02:47
After getting into whisky for some four years I am sure that Western Isles & West Coast is my favourite. My top five:

1. Lagavulin 16yo
2. Springbank 10yo
3. Jura Origin 10yo
4. Cragganmore 12yo
5. Talisker Skye

Most of the runners-up are also from that area.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 04:41
I usually find myself with a Highland Park, or did, before I gave up drinking. Really, like beer, wine or cigars, I don't have an absolute favourite drink. Most good quality whiskies have their own character and it depends on what I fancy at the time - fancied at the time, that is. So long as you can appreciate the quality, they all have something to say. Apart from Glenlivet or heavily peated whiskies like Laphroaig, which I can't stand. 

As for Irish whiskey / Canadian whisky / bourbon, no thanks. If I have a bourbon, I'm reminded it's made from corn, and then I'm drinking corn on the cob. Not for me. 

Incidentally, I used to review cigars for the largest UK importer. Easy way of getting free stogies. All a long time (and one stroke) ago. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 13 2018 at 04:42

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 04:43
Blended scotch. Ah no. It's blended to be inoffensive to anyone, which I find offensive in itself. ;-)

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 07:36
this is the holy grail:

Edited by BaldJean - July 13 2018 at 07:45

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 15:48
I love all the Islay malts especially Caol Ila so voted West. Other faves are the Macallan & Highland Park.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 16:14
Islay all the way... Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Bowmore. Not exclusively, though. The Speyside malts make a nice change, but the smoky, peaty nature of the Islay malts make them exceptional. Blends like Black Bottle and Black Grouse work well from an economical perspective when you want the more expensive single malts to last a little longer!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 19:23
Laphroaig is shattering, like drinking iodine mixed with kerosene.   A fascinating flavor profile, and delicious.

For daily use I tend toward JW Black.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 01:37
^^^^
Lol

For some reasons, just the word kerosene doesn't entice me to taste

My latest discoveries:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenmorangie/glenmorangie-bacalta-private-edition-whisky/

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-abunadh-whisky/

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glengoyne/glengoyne-cask-strength-whisky/

These three almost are for eating for there is so much matter in those bottles that I'm not sure they should be called "spirits" anymore
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 04:09
21yo Springbank the holy grail? May be true if the 10yo gives an indication as it does. But quite above my budget.

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I usually find myself with a Highland Park, or did, before I gave up drinking. Really, like beer, wine or cigars, I don't have an absolute favourite drink. Most good quality whiskies have their own character and it depends on what I fancy at the time - fancied at the time, that is. So long as you can appreciate the quality, they all have something to say. Apart from Glenlivet or heavily peated whiskies like Laphroaig, which I can't stand. 

As for Irish whiskey / Canadian whisky / bourbon, no thanks. If I have a bourbon, I'm reminded it's made from corn, and then I'm drinking corn on the cob. Not for me. 

I like both 12yo Glenlivet and Laphroaig. Bourbon? It is not like Scotch, but I'm thinking about getting a bit more into it I tried the Four Roses Single Barrel and found it delicious, something like a cranked up Metaxa.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Laphroaig is shattering, like drinking iodine mixed with kerosene.   A fascinating flavor profile, and delicious.

Well said !

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Islay all the way... Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Bowmore. Not exclusively, though. The Speyside malts make a nice change, but the smoky, peaty nature of the Islay malts make them exceptional. Blends like Black Bottle and Black Grouse work well from an economical perspective when you want the more expensive single malts to last a little longer!

Similar tastes, it seems.I have a soft spot for Speysides as well: besides the aforementioned Cragganmore, the rounded Cardhu and the complex Strathisla are also outstanding.
Here in the Netherlands, we have another low-priced one: Highland Queen Islay Single Malt, which seems to be bottled exclusive for a Dutch liquor store chain. I cannot find it on the Highland Queen site anyway, but it is hardly more expensive than a Black Grouse or a Black Bottle and quite a lot of quality for that price (but of course not as good as an Ardbeg or a Laphroaig).

Edited by someone_else - August 11 2018 at 05:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 06:42
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Here in the Netherlands, we have another low-priced one: Highland Queen Islay Single Malt, which seems to be bottled exclusive for a Dutch liquor store chain. I cannot find it on the Highland Queen site anyway, but it is hardly more expensive than a Black Grouse or a Black Bottle and quite a lot of quality for that price (but of course not as good as an Ardbeg or a Laphroaig).

Speaking of Dutch drinking...
Have you tried the Fryske Hynder?? I find it a verrrrrrry pleasant single malt, and all their bottles are single casks and numbered. The bottle I have was aged all its cask life in a red Burgundy varrel. 
Millstone (just north of Belgium) is more ordinary

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 12:03
Been into Bourbons the last year or so......currently enjoying Basil Hayden's ...also Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Blanton's etc....  thinking about getting into Cognac also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 12:27
For best price-performance ratio, Highland Bird.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 22:05
I was on holiday in the Cotswolds last month and was surprised to find there is a new distillery there -

I felt obliged to buy some and it's very good.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 02:52
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I was on holiday in the Cotswolds last month and was surprised to find there is a new distillery there -

I felt obliged to buy some and it's very good.

First I heard about it, and there is no age statement (which with the world demand increasing will become rarer anyways), but it does sound nice

However, this is more of a generic distiller (Gin, mostly), apparently if you look in the site's shop section.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 15:05
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Speaking of Dutch drinking...
Have you tried the Fryske Hynder?? I find it a verrrrrrry pleasant single malt, and all their bottles are single casks and numbered. The bottle I have was aged all its cask life in a red Burgundy varrel. 
Millstone (just north of Belgium) is more ordinary

Of Millstone I have heard only recently for the first time. I got acquainted with the existence of Fryske Hynder in 2015, while spending a few holidays in Friesland. I tasted a dram of it a few months ago: a rather grainy, but worthy single malt. The guy in the liquor store told me that there are two varieties: the silver which has matured for three years and the gold which has aged somewhat longer. I tasted the silver.

Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 15:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Been into Bourbons the last year or so......currently enjoying Basil Hayden's ...also Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Blanton's etc....  thinking about getting into Cognac also.

Cognac is interesting but I just don't like bourbon, it's too sweet and has a weird vanilla/coconut sort of aftertaste I don't care for.   I've noticed some of the wine cask-aged scotches have a similar flavor.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>