Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGong recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gong recommendations
    Posted: June 26 2011 at 22:43
I got the album, 'You' a few months ago, and at first I thought it was decent, but now it's really beginning to grow on me. I like the spacey stuff that they do, but most of all, I like the way they orchestrate those short songs like A P.H.Ps Advise, and I especially love Perfect Mystery, with the violins and soprano saxes (or oboes?). I wish they were longer, so I'd like to hear more like that. 

What other Gong albums feature that sort of theatrical style? Suggestions could also be some of the other projects like Mother Gong or the main members' solo projects, etc. because I haven't heard anything else from them besides 'You'.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 00:05
Gazuese, Expresso 2, Camembert electrique
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 00:05
From You, go forward chronologically in their discography for jazz-fusion, and go backward for spacey stuff.

Edited by Anthony H. - June 27 2011 at 00:05
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 00:19
"Angels Egg' comes the closest to "You" in sound, composition, and style. "Flying Teapot" is maybe a little different. At first Daevid Allen's solo releases seemed soft and gentle. Like "Good Morning' and "Now is the Happiest Time of Your Life". His later releases were more busy , but not truly like "You".     "You' was a bit more gymnastic than the others except Angels Egg runs a close race with it.  Sadly Daevid Allen eventually became dis-interested in the musical direction that GONG was going in. He wanted a more gentle sound and the direction that GONG was going in was more muscle bound. Looking back....I wished they would have released a 4th effort with the "You" style. If you ever cross paths with someone who owns "Greasy Truckers at Dingwalls Dance Hall" try to persuade them to play Gong's performance. It's mind blowing....lol! This is of course the second Greasy Truckers release which has never been transfered to cd. The reason "You" is in a musical world of it's own is due to the realization that it was just prior to Steve Hillage's "Fish Rising" and the formation of Pierre Morleon's Gong. It was written and recorded prior to transitions of the developing writing skills of various Gong members. "You" is magical more so than any GONG release. The "OM" riff was re-recorded by Steve Hillage in 1978 and released on "GREEN".
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 00:20
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

From You, go forward chronologically in their discography for jazz-fusion, and go backward for spacey stuff.

Thanks! Sounds simple enough.
Any specific ones that might be particularly of interest?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 00:26
Originally posted by N-sz N-sz wrote:

The whole Angel's Egg trilogy is fantastic. For the fusion, Shamal and Gazeuse are the best.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2011 at 00:31
Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy, actually. My bad.
gliss bliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 10:47
Bump:  You guys have obviously never heard Gong Est Mort the penultimate last album by the PHP Gong, it was organised by the groups French fans in 1977 and must have been an amazing gig.  Throughout the day all the solo projects such as Daevid Allens band both his solo efforts and the Planet Gong / Here N Now Band, Steve Hillage Band etc played before the original Gong took to the stage at the end of the night.  But Gong Est Mort, Vive Gong represents the full blow out of the You album in live splendourCheck it out.  Caught Gong in 2009 in Edinburgh where Daevid Allen, Mike Howlet, Steve Hillage played together for the first time in about 30 years a truly amazing experience.

Edited by gliss bliss - December 17 2011 at 10:55
Lets go to church and be good looking.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 11:05
Sounds like you(ha!) would enjoy Angel's Egg even more than You. Some of Daevid Allen's solo stuff might appeal to you, but I'm no expert having only heard a few albums.
gliss bliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 11:18
Theres a healthy dose of Angels Egg on Gong Est Mort too, the live album covered most of  the 73 - 75 PHP trilogy and a smattering of tracks from Camembert too.  The album was hard to get on vinyl in the late 80s as it was a French release only on Tapioca Records.  But now with the www and internet land it should be easier to acquire.   

Edited by gliss bliss - December 17 2011 at 11:19
Lets go to church and be good looking.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 12:01

Gong do a Team Huddle

Help me I'm falling!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 12:52

As others have said get Angels Egg & Flying Teapot from the Pot Head Pixie trilogy (along with the You you already have) and then get Gazeuse & Expresso II from their more fusion period.

I like Shamal well enough from this period but it doesn't hold up as well as Gazeuse & Expresso II IMHO.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 17 2011 at 12:53
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 18:28
Trilogy + Camembert are essential. Then Shamal ...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 20:28
Zildjian do a nice range...no wait
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 21:18
I think Daevid Allen's "Bananamoon" solo album deserves mention.  It dates from the early Gong days and compares favorably to their early, punkish crazy stuff.  That's right, I said punkish.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2011 at 11:07

I got the album, 'You' a few months ago, and at first I thought it was decent, but now it's really beginning to grow on me. I like the spacey stuff that they do, but most of all, I like the way they orchestrate those short songs like A P.H.Ps Advise, and I especially love Perfect Mystery, with the violins and soprano saxes (or oboes?). I wish they were longer, so I'd like to hear more like that. 

What other Gong albums feature that sort of theatrical style? Suggestions could also be some of the other projects like Mother Gong or the main members' solo projects, etc. because I haven't heard anything else from them besides 'You'.

All in all, "YOU" is their pinacle, and the end of their trilogy. And also the split in the band.

Pierre's version is ... possibly ... a bit jazzier, but the funny thing on their reunion albums and stuff later, in the 90's when they had Pip drumming, they were jazzy, when Pierre was there it was very rock oriented and it had punch, and when they had that other kid drumming, it was ... nice, but not as good, probably because there really was not anything that he could add to it!

If I may suggest, it might be better to look at "Gong" as an artist and the music encompasses several years and works ... and as is the case in time and place, things change here and there ... but in all cases, the entity remains the same ... one day they played with this and the next day they played with that ... and the best thing to remember is ... that this is an "artist" and one "entity" ... not anything else.

And that entity has many dresses and occasions! ... and beware "Floating Anarchy" as it is one of the best acid/space rock albums ever done!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply