Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: top ten overrated prog songs
    Posted: October 31 2015 at 11:34
Great point about "Moonchild". I use "Moonchild" as a example to explain my opinion. Honestly I like "Moonchild" as all another songs of ITCOTCK.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

If people agreed on something being overrated, it wouldn't be overrated by definition.
100% AGREE. You got the point. When most of us said "Moonchild is overrated" , then this is not Overrated Song because of definition of Overrated.
But my question is not have an answer yet. How can I find rate of "One Song" ?! this is not only about Numbers or ... I really search for it !!! I don't want continue this and I closed my "Non-Answered Question" here. If any of friends like to answer it, I will appreciate.

I actually think it is just the opposite with "Moonchild". it is extremely underrated. it is a great song, but many people hate it because of the "noodling", as they wrongly call it, during the last nine minutes. As Jean already pointed out it has nothing to do with noodling at all. Every single note in these nine minutes has a direct relation to the song lyrics.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 06:34

I like "Hearsay" word that you use. I think you right and I agree with "Hearsay". No definition exist for "Overrated" word (IMO).

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 13:11
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

If people agreed on something being overrated, it wouldn't be overrated by definition.
100% AGREE. You got the point. When most of us said "Moonchild is overrated" , then this is not Overrated Song because of definition of Overrated.
But my question is not have an answer yet. How can I find rate of "One Song" ?! this is not only about Numbers or ... I really search for it !!! I don't want continue this and I closed my "Non-Answered Question" here. If any of friends like to answer it, I will appreciate.

I guess it's about hearsay... something that many people have mentioned to you as top song, their favourite song etc., then this counts as highly rated.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 11:45

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 10:58
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 10:31
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

O666, I believe 'overrated' is defined here by subjective terms such as popularity and perceived status rather than a numerical value.

I have trouble answering this question.  After scanning through the top 100 albums to help my memory, i was only able to identify what i knew and liked, what i did not know, and what I knew but could not really relate to.  I would not want to call the latter 'overrated.'  I think i would need a visceral negative reaction to call something 'overrated.'
Hi and thanks. I know , I can't wrote my opinion correctly but you almost got that. Yes, we can't discuss and defend our subjective terms (as you said) and I 100% agree about numerical value as you meant.

Some guys talked about "Moonchild" in this thread and they call it "Overrated song". Ok this is their opinion but my question is : Who said "Moonchild" is a High Rate song?! or How can they find rate of "Moonchild"?
I can make a list with 1000 songs that I don't "LIKE" them and call it "Overrated songs" and you and other guys say : "No problem, this is his opinion and this is subjective."  Maybe its correct about "I don't like" but "Overrated" have another mean (IMO).
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Here's a list of songs/pieces that I believe are very highly regarded by many prog fans but leave me completely cold
(I guess it's my loss c/f nacrissistic w***kery)

1 - Close to the Edge Yes - the string of pearls that dreamed of being a diamond tiara
2 - Thick As a Brick Tull - the parody that came to represent what is being parodied
3 - Arrow VDGG - the tortured artist bites the hand that feeds him
4 - Moonchild  Crimson - stoned hippy amateurish noodling
5 - Echoes Floyd - stoned hippy professional noodling
6 - Lizard Crimson - how to stretch going from straight to swung time in 20 minutes
7 - In My Time of Dying Zep - gives 'interminable dirges' a bad name
8 - Interstellar Overdrive Floyd - good loving home required for affectionate little orphan riff
9 - Formentera Lady Crimson - stoned hippy semi pro noodling
10 - Elektrolurch Mutation Guru Guru - smug hippy garbage

If anyone feels sufficiently narcissistic today, head over to the Rogues Gallery thread and indulge yourselves.

Get the hand lotion ready fellas....
Nobody likes Moonchild

Not true; BaldFriede and I love Moonchild. But to love it you have to understand it. The improvisational section puts the lyrics into music. You can for example clearly hear the circle stones dropping on a sundial, the Moonchild playing hide and seek with the ghosts of dawn or the smile from the sunchild at the end.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 22:09
Genesis - entire discography

Time always wins.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 23:37
Anything from Yes' "Drama," particularly Tempis Fugit.  
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 22:19

There are many songs I find overrated but I still love them - I'm surprised many find  'Supper's Ready' or 'Battle of Epping Forest' to be overrated (which I assume is based on too much overwhelming adulation given to them here on PA), then again depending on how you interpret "overrated." I'm getting a feeling that "overrated" here (in this thread) means that its something to be disliked. or rejected. 

This is all very subjective and a matter of personal taste and that means no one is going to agree 100% on what the "top ten overrated prog songs" should be! But its fun and amusing reading all the differing opinions, rants & raves, and then those who are not sure - I personally don't feel its necessarily a bad thing if a song(s) is overrated, better than unnoticed...
"Cos it only knock and knowall, but I like it..."
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 14:31

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:00
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 14:21
O666, I believe 'overrated' is defined here by subjective terms such as popularity and perceived status rather than a numerical value.

I have trouble answering this question.  After scanning through the top 100 albums to help my memory, i was only able to identify what i knew and liked, what i did not know, and what I knew but could not really relate to.  I would not want to call the latter 'overrated.'  I think i would need a visceral negative reaction to call something 'overrated.'

Edited by twalsh - October 28 2015 at 14:29
More heavy prog, please!
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:55
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I understand your question, Omid, but I don't think PA has ratings for songs alone. Just ratings for albums.
Exactly. I remember 3-4 month earlier , you have a post about it (rating songs). Now how can I list my "Overrated" songs when I don't have a measure for it like "song's rate" or...? How can I find what people think about a song?  Believe me I try hard to choose best words to say my question clearly but I can't do it better than it. I hate myself when I can't talk about my opinion easily and clearly. Pardone me steve and you guys .

Edited by O666 - October 28 2015 at 13:16
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:38
I understand your question, Omid, but I don't think PA has ratings for songs alone. Just ratings for albums.

Edited by SteveG - October 28 2015 at 12:38
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:36
Hi Steve. You are very Gentle and always answer to me. I got your kidding and talked about Jagger and honestly I enjoy .
My question is about topic and overrated songs. Can you tell me how can I find song's rate? As I said before in PA just Albums have rate and songs dont have it. I hope you understand my question and help me to understand this topic question.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:17
Omid, we're talking about Mick Jagger and his clothes!

Just kidding! Smile
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:12
How can you find RATE of a SONG? In PA only Albums have Rate and songs don't have rate. Honestly I don't know how to find song's rate !
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Well, Mick did like to wear pink. But not in this pic, obviously. Smile

I am all for pink anything really :) except Steve Vai's hotpants seen too much of them I guess Zappa obviously didn't mind :)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 12:04
Well, Mick did like to wear pink. But not in this pic, obviously. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>