We lose.Ouch
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I can't have a decent argument with you. Ermm

Your blind faith to DT makes it impossible. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 11:51

I can't have a decent argument with you. Ermm

Your blind faith to DT makes it impossible. 

LOL

Dude, I used to be where some of you are.  After Six Degrees, the albums weren't what I was looking for.  But I kept buying them...and I kept going to shows, and the funny thing is that while I was at these shows, listening to these songs that "weren't what I was looking for" I realized something interesting: I REALLY enjoyed watching them perform these songs.  I realized that while they weren't what I had been looking for, they were what someone else was looking for.  And I figured out how to do something that I wish I had done all along: I stopped looking for something in particular with each album.  I stopped going into a new album with expectations and learned to take each album as it was, and figure out whether I liked it or not without putting preconceptions on it first.

HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:03
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I hear you about losing interest after IaW and Awake, and you know what?  That's fine, because Dream Theater still wins in the situation you described!  You like some of their albums!  They win!  I personally don't like Train of Thought...but Snowdog loves it!  They win!  Some of you don't care about ADCoE, but it sold enough copies to make it to #8 on the Billboard top selling albums, and #6 on Amazon overall, and they got a Grammy nomination!  Without any radio play!  They win!  Horizons doesn't think there's any difference between the ballads on ADCoE but my wife actually likes them (and she always complains when I play DT) - THEY WIN!

By that logic, every piece of music ever "wins".
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:05
^Beside Mariah Carrey.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:05
I heard there are some weird fellows who actually like Mariah Carey, so...
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:21
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

I hear you about losing interest after IaW and Awake, and you know what?  That's fine, because Dream Theater still wins in the situation you described!  You like some of their albums!  They win!  I personally don't like Train of Thought...but Snowdog loves it!  They win!  Some of you don't care about ADCoE, but it sold enough copies to make it to #8 on the Billboard top selling albums, and #6 on Amazon overall, and they got a Grammy nomination!  Without any radio play!  They win!  Horizons doesn't think there's any difference between the ballads on ADCoE but my wife actually likes them (and she always complains when I play DT) - THEY WIN!

I hear you, but as I outlined before on this same thread, there's a very big difference between DT and most popular music: most popular music is promoted ruthlessly by the record labels, who pay big bucks to have radio stations play a song, and then the Billboard charts see that this song was played by "x" stations "y" many times, and they estimate that "z" many people heard it because of that, and therefore it is a hit.  Then other radio stations see this song on the Billboard chart and decide "oh, we'd better play this song too because...it's popular!"  Then, it takes off in a viral way, and people are brainwashed into liking the song whether they liked it or hated it at first.  This is not the case with Dream Theater - they are an underdog who beat the system besides never having been promoted in this way, despite having rebelled against the formula for popular music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 16:16

I hear you, but as I outlined before on this same thread, there's a very big difference between DT and most popular music: most popular music is promoted ruthlessly by the record labels, who pay big bucks to have radio stations play a song, and then the Billboard charts see that this song was played by "x" stations "y" many times, and they estimate that "z" many people heard it because of that, and therefore it is a hit.  Then other radio stations see this song on the Billboard chart and decide "oh, we'd better play this song too because...it's popular!"  Then, it takes off in a viral way, and people are brainwashed into liking the song whether they liked it or hated it at first.  This is not the case with Dream Theater - they are an underdog who beat the system besides never having been promoted in this way, despite having rebelled against the formula for popular music.

I think you're underestimating the amount of promotion DT get from their label. They're probably the most-promoted and -publicized progressive group at the moment. Sure, they were big before that and they got that far on the strength of people actually liking their music, but they wouldn't have gotten so huge without a lot of promotion, and like with every artist that is similarly exposed, there are idiots who like them only because they're popular just as there are idiots who only dislike them because they're popular.

In the end, it's irrelevant. I guess what you're trying to do is to "prove" DT's "objective" greatness, but that doesn't work. All that the sales numbers mean is that DT's music is appreciated by a lot of people. That's good for them, but it doesn't mean that somebody who dislikes them has to think any more highly of them. There is no objective quality. Dream Theater isn't objectively better than Justin Bieber, neither are any of my favorite bands.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 19:31

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

There are people who actually do like pop music *shock and horror*  Can't be too hard to, if there are those who like the idea of LaBrie singing Another Day, if you ask me.    Anyway, it's good to know it matters so much to you that DT apparently beat the system and all that but I only listen to music that engages me, usually emotionally but maybe for other aspects too, and I am really not very curious about who else does or doesn't like it.  It's good, though, when a few people like it because that improves my chances of catching them live in concert. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 01:11
Für Elisa
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 02:52
Most of King Crimson's back catalogue
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 05:55
Supper's Ready
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 03:14
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Supper's Ready
I have to agree with you. I love the first 5 or 6 minutes of it, but I fade it out with an mp3 editor right after the children's choir enters. A perfect short song, but as for the rest of it, I just can't grasp it. 'Must be missing something :-)
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 13:17
the one that sticks out is Awaken. It's alright, but it's not THAT good.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

the one that sticks out is Awaken. It's alright, but it's not THAT good.

Sigh.........Yes, it damned well is. Many people would rate it amongst the great band's finest moments.

That's the trouble with "overrated" threads. You get posts like this, which frankly add nothing to the sum total of human knowledge, because your opinion & mine are totally subjective.

Bet more people agree with me, thoughWinkLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 13:38
^I do.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 13:42
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^I do.

DiolchBig smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 13:43
^Dim problem.Wink
silcir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 13:58
Rush is overrated.
I like some of the albuns, but in my head they aren't in the same league as the early prog stuff.

Marillion is overrated.
I do like the fish era, but i can't rate them as good as the 70's bands they "copy".
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 14:01
^Those aren't songs.

And who does  Marillion copy?

Edited by Snow Dog - May 24 2012 at 14:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>