Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello from a prog, jazz, math rock fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from a prog, jazz, math rock fan
    Posted: July 04 2011 at 18:38
Hello all, my name's Chase. I joined this forum for the simple reason that I am fascinated, intrigued, and kept alive by Jazz, Prog, Fusion, Avant Garde, Math Rock, Space Rock and really any music that raises the bar of talent and creativity. I listen to and appreciate ALL types of music! I play guitar and have been playing for about 10 years now. I compose and play lead in a high energy prog-rock band called Did You See Those Bats? based out of Austin, TX. We divide our time into writing, recording, and playing one to two gigs a month.

Currently, my favorite players/groups are:
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Mahavishnu Orchestra
King Crimson
John Scofield
Soft Machine
Bygones
Frank Zappa
Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House
White Denim
Zach Hill and Peer Pressure
Aquaserge
Henry Cow
Steely Dan
Ornette Coleman
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 18:56
great to have you, Chase, and great taste there !

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 20:14
Welcome to the site, Chase!  I see some Henry Cow there in your favorite groups, always a great thing.  Same goes for Zappa, Soft Machine and Ornette Coleman.  Long live avant-garde (rock, jazz, classical, take your pick, they're all good)!
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 01:27
Henry Cow is mind blowing. I must say I'm not a huge fan of their stuff with vocals, but all the instrumental stuff I've heard is truly captivating. Nice sig btw; Dave Holland definitely ranks in my top 5 all-time favorite bassists.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 01:59
Thanks, Holland is definitely a great bassist.

Henry Cow's vocal works have taken a while longer to grow on me, but over the past several months they've finally gotten a good grasp on me.  Have you, by chance, heard the box set?  I'd recommend it especially to a fan of improv, a good percentage of the box is improvised concerts, both with and without vocals.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 03:37
Excellent list there, Chase, and good to have a math-rock fan around! We're a small niche club here ;)

Is your band's name a Fear And Loathing reference? LOL

Edited by harmonium.ro - July 05 2011 at 03:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 15:43
To SaltyJon, I've heard most of Legend, some stuff from Unrest, and a lot from Western Culture; the latter being my favorite so far. It's been difficult to find their music, as all of the record stores around here never carry their LPs and no one I know has any inkling as to who they are. I've been limited to singles I can find online, tracks on YouTube, Last.fm, Pandora, and things of the like. The box set is a little pricey (amazon). Besides the ones I've listed, which albums would you recommend individually?

To Harmonium, We came up with the name from a local tourist attraction here in Austin, TX. At dusk, if you're anywhere near Congress bridge downtown, you'll see thousands of bats fly out from under the bridge in huge, undulating waves of blackness. Hundreds of people are usually lined up on the bridge to check it out, so I guess the thought was that we'd capitalize on the idea in our hometown. The Fear and Loathing reference was an afterthought, albeit a welcome afterthought. I totally dug that movie.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 18:15
Originally posted by EchidnasArf EchidnasArf wrote:

To SaltyJon, I've heard most of Legend, some stuff from Unrest, and a lot from Western Culture; the latter being my favorite so far. It's been difficult to find their music, as all of the record stores around here never carry their LPs and no one I know has any inkling as to who they are. I've been limited to singles I can find online, tracks on YouTube, Last.fm, Pandora, and things of the like. The box set is a little pricey (amazon). Besides the ones I've listed, which albums would you recommend individually?

Beyond those three you have, the only studio album left is In Praise of Learning.  If you're not as much of a fan of the HC material with vocals, I'd not recommend it first off.  My personal favorite Henry Cow record is Unrest - I think they found their groove there, and though I love the later material I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if they had continued on in the vein of that album.  "Half Asleep; Half Awake" and "Ruins" make up ~20 minutes of the most perfect music ever recorded, IMO.  If you're interested in buying their albums, I'd check ReR USA or Wayside rather than Amazon - most likely, you'll get better prices.  ReR USA has the added benefit of free shipping to anyone living in the US.  If you only want vinyls (noticed you said LP) I'm not sure where to get them.  I'm more a CD person, personally, as they're generally cheaper and easier to store, plus I don't notice too much difference in sound between the two formats. Tongue

Edited by SaltyJon - July 05 2011 at 18:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 01:41
I used to be a CD person when I drove a car that had a CD player and a real nice Bose stereo system. Now I drive a POS Corolla with no CD player and awful speakers. And I love vinyl because you get big artwork and a physical, stylus in groove, presence that really fills the room when a records on. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely have to check out Unrest in it's entirety.
 Post Reply Post Reply