FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstar trek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 18:16
I only ever watched TOS regularly.  Is started with TNG when it came out and was very disappointed.  After a half dozen episodes I gave up never to return.  I have been told many times that it got better, but have just never got around to it.
An episode that is one of my perennial favourites from TOS is "The Conscience of the King".  High drama within high drama.

Also love Corbomite Maneuver, Doomsday Machine, Operation Annihilate, Return of the Archons, Arena, and many others

Edited by kenethlevine - September 09 2012 at 18:17
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 18:22
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I only ever watched TOS regularly.  Is started with TNG when it came out and was very disappointed.  After a half dozen episodes I gave up never to return.  I have been told many times that it got better, but have just never got around to it.
An episode that is one of my perennial favourites from TOS is "The Conscience of the King".  High drama within high drama.

Also love Corbomite Maneuver, Doomsday Machine, Operation Annihilate, Return of the Archons, Arena, and many others

Starting with Season 3, the show really picked up steam and seasons 3-7 are really the finest episodes of any Star Trek.  Season 2 was by far the worst and I'd put it on a par with season 3 of the originals.  I couldn't stand Dr. Pulaski, who was a rip-off of and a much less likeable McCoy.  Glad she went away and they brought Crusher back on board.  The first season I liked, but will admit it was kind of hit or miss.  Some good episodes and some not so good. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 18:49
Next Gen did improve, especially from the dismal pilot with Q and the episodes shamelessly based on TOS, but it may have suffered from its own success.   With only three seasons and the constant threat of cancellation, the original never had a chance to go stale.

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:06
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

The Cage
The Corbomite Maneuver
Bread and Circuses (even though Uhura's final comments were very hokey)
The Squire of Gothos
A Taste of Armageddon

Return of the Archons
I, Mudd
By Any Other Name

A Taste of Armageddon is my favorite episode of TOS.

Am I the only one bothered by the anachronisms in the Squire of Gothos? TOS is set in the 23rd century, the planet is 800 light years away from Earth, so he is familiar with nothing later than the 15th century, but he has a harpsichord which wasn't invented yet.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:13
^ that whole episode bothered me, mainly cause it stinks

and 'Armageddon' is excellent

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:17
according to wikipedia the harpsichord was probably invented in late middle ages

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

The Cage
The Corbomite Maneuver
Bread and Circuses (even though Uhura's final comments were very hokey)
The Squire of Gothos
A Taste of Armageddon

Return of the Archons
I, Mudd
By Any Other Name

A Taste of Armageddon is my favorite episode of TOS.

Am I the only one bothered by the anachronisms in the Squire of Gothos? TOS is set in the 23rd century, the planet is 800 light years away from Earth, so he is familiar with nothing later than the 15th century, but he has a harpsichord which wasn't invented yet.

At that point in the series, it was not yet decided exactly when Star Trek took place.  The century wasn't even established and the time seemed to shift from the late 22nd century all the way up to around the 26th century, based on various comments as to how long ago things occurred (e.g. the Eugenics War took place around 200 years prior to the episode, which would put the episode in the late 2100's.  Of course, the timeframe was later officially established as the episode taking place in 2266).
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:27
establishing Stardate canon must've been a pain--  as I recall it was standardized in the late 70s but I don't see how the dates mentioned in TOS could have synced-up with that system

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:37

according to wikipedia the harpsichord was probably invented in late middle ages

Maybe, but the kind he uses is clearly an advanced model, and there are other examples as well that I can't remember off the top of my head. The whole scene reeks of the early 18th century.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:42
Anyone seen the Star Trek: New Voyages fan-flicks series? (aka Star Trek: Phase II)http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/ - the concept is based upon Roddenberry's aborted attempt to produce a 2nd 5-year mission for Kirk and crew back in 1978 so it's ST:TOS part 2 with an all new cast (obviously) playing familiar TOS characters but with guest appearances of some of the original TOS actors.

The first episode was "In Harms Way" - a continuation of the Doomsday Machine story line and features the late William Windom reprising his role as Matt Decker. The second features Walter Koenig in an original story by D C Fontana
What?
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 19:57
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Maybe, but the kind he uses is clearly an advanced model, and there are other examples as well that I can't remember off the top of my head. The whole scene reeks of the early 18th century.

true enough, the episode was not among my favorites, but at least the idea that this Trolaine was basically a kid whose parents had given him a planet to play with was fun.  As with most start trek episodes that were subpar, it was partly redeemed by an entertaining, if not always fascinating, premise

Edited by kenethlevine - September 09 2012 at 19:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 20:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Anyone seen the Star Trek: New Voyages fan-flicks series? (aka Star Trek: Phase II)http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/ - the concept is based upon Roddenberry's aborted attempt to produce a 2nd 5-year mission for Kirk and crew back in 1978 so it's ST:TOS part 2 with an all new cast (obviously) playing familiar TOS characters but with guest appearances of some of the original TOS actors.

The first episode was "In Harms Way" - a continuation of the Doomsday Machine story line and features the late William Windom reprising his role as Matt Decker. The second features Walter Koenig in an original story by D C Fontana

I've seen all of them.  Not too shabby of a production, but the wait between episodes is excruciating.  Their last one was The Child, which I never thought too much of, as a script for Phase II or as a Next Gen episode.  But the next one, Kitumba should be great.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 22:14

Starting with Season 3, the show really picked up steam and seasons 3-7 are really the finest episodes of any Star Trek.  Season 2 was by far the worst and I'd put it on a par with season 3 of the originals.  I couldn't stand Dr. Pulaski, who was a rip-off of and a much less likeable McCoy.  Glad she went away and they brought Crusher back on board.  The first season I liked, but will admit it was kind of hit or miss.  Some good episodes and some not so good. 
3-7 excellent?  Umm, no.  3&4 excellent (mostly).  5 fairly good.  6&7 only occasionally good.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 22:34
4 and 6 were my favorite seasons, but I thought 3, 5 and 7 were all very strong.  the 3rd season was probably the weakest of those 5 seasons IMO.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 22:53
I am an Original series first type but did like TNG and Voyager series.  I am currently watching the Enterprise series (just into series 2) and I have been pleasently surprised by it. They do take their shots at the Vulcans.  TPol is there for eye candy but she does play the part well.  I did not like Deep Space 9 however.

PS-My favorite episode of the Original is "Balance of Power".

Edited by AEProgman - September 09 2012 at 23:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 01:33
Balance of Terror   ..yes that's a great early one
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 01:52
I don't know the titles of the original episodes s I have watched all the series in my home language, but my favorite TOS episode is that written by James Blish with Zephran Cochrane on a lonely planet with a symbiont alien . After the first inter-racial kiss of the US Television (Kirk and Uhura) that's the first kind of love story between a human and a non-humanoid alien. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 02:06
 ^ that is a moving one, a bit slow but overall very good

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 04:53
And which is the funniest episode? I think it's between the second with Mudd and the Tribbles one.
A nice thing is that on the 4th year of Enterprise, in order to justify the fact that a Klingon can be exchanged for a human on that funny episode, they have created the darkest episodes of the Serial (with Data in the "bad" role, also).
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 07:49
The Trouble With Tribbles is definitely the funniest episode.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>