FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAjalon - On The Threshold of Eternity (Re

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ajalon - On The Threshold of Eternity (Re
    Posted: June 24 2005 at 13:33

Ajalon is a progressive rock band, a three piece ensemble. The band is from Washington State in the USA.  The band members are Randy George, who plays guitars, keyboards, and bass.  He has worked with Neal Morse in the studio and on tour for the album “Testimony” and is currently working on a new secret project with him.  Wil Henderson, the vocalist and lyricist also plays bass guitar, guitar, and various wind instruments, is the talented wordsmith for the band.  Dan Lile, drummer and also various percussion instruments is the driving force with his unique and gifted playing ability. 

The second release from Ajalon is called, “On the Threshold of Eternity”.  Appearing as guests on the album are some of the biggest names in progressive rock.  Rick Wakeman, who plays keyboards for with super group, Yes, along with many solo projects.  Neal Morse, founder of Spock’s Beard and now with a thriving solo career.  Phil Keaggy, a brilliant guitarist, outstanding vocalist and songwriter, who formed Glass Harp in the late 1960’s and has many solo albums in his own right. 

The excellent first release from the band in 1996 is entitled “Light at the End of the Tunnel”.  The freshman debut showed off the bands talents and musicianship.  If you heard the album, expect the new music to take you to new heights nearing perfection.

If not, I highly recommend getting a copy and adding it to your collection.

This album almost didn’t get released after the first version was held back by means beyond the band’s control.  They were able to save the music and produced one of the finest progressive rock albums of the decade.

“Anthem of  the Seventh Day”, first song on the album.  Upbeat in tempo, this instrumental track sets the mood.  This track shows off Ajalon as gifted musicians.

The song starts out with drums and keyboards and features a great guitar solo.

“The Promised Land”, the next song, begins with a very tasteful acoustic guitar.  Wil Henderson chimes in with his beautiful melodious voice which let’s the listener feel his heartfelt emotions.  I will compare his voice to Phil Keaggy with a mix of Steve Hogarth just as a comparison but is truly unique and very pleasant to the ear in his own right.  Expect harmonious vocals throughout the album. The end of the song has a Yes feel, or even Heart’s Roger Fisher guitar work on “Love Alive”.

“Sword of Goliath”, starts with a Latin flair then transforms into latter day Genesis sound morphing between the two holding your attention until the end.  The real standout of this tune is the chorus and guitar solo.  The powerful yet accessible flow continues for even the most discriminating progressive rock lover of any genre.

“Holy Spirit Fire”, begins with a sitar/acoustic guitar mix.  I personally love the sitar sound.  Taylor Mesple guests on piano and you hear a Bruce Hornsby influence right off from the beginning of the song. Vocal harmonies abound.  Interaction between guitar and piano are cleverly exchanged. Phil Keaggy, stars on the second verse lead vocals, backing vocals, and the acoustic guitar solo at the end.  The intermingling of Wil and Phil’s vocal talents are outstanding.  

I am not going to spoil your first listen of the CD giving away all of the details.  You need a bit of surprise like when you don’t want someone to tell you the end and spoil a good movie.  I will however give a little more insight into this superb work of their musical creation.  As expected from this band, the musicianship is first rate and the lyrics are both meaningful and enlightening.  This reviewer was never disappointed during my many listens. Revisiting the songs again and again, I discovered new notes and phrases like all good progressive rock albums.    

“What Kind of Love, one of my favorite tracks on the album, has a more fusion direction with multipart vocals and a driving rock beat.  Rick Wakeman, is featured keyboardist on this song.  Is there anything else to be said when the master of the keyboards lends his expertise to the sound?  Randy’s guitar solo forges ahead, fusing the sometimes slightly complex and well written song. This song is a very enjoyable memorable listen. Lisa Green lends her graceful background vocals deserving a mention here as well.

“On the Threshold of Eternity”, is the title track. As with all great progressive rock albums, there is an epic musical piece.  Clocking in at sixteen minutes, you will be taken on a musical ride, so just sit back allowing yourself to be enraptured in this visionary song. Neal Morse, without a doubt one of the most prolific songwriters and musicians of this generation lends his voice on the second lead vocals

Ajalon, has presented a work of art of the highest quality.  In addition to the guest musicians, also on the album are Jeremy Cays and Brian Adderbury whose talents are not to be overlooked.  Last but not least is Gene Crout who brilliantly mastered the album.

A listening party for the debut of the new Ajalon CD will take place at The Radiant Flow radio station, Monday night, June 27th at 10:00 pm EST.  Be sure to tune in and listen.

Randy George, Wil Henderson, and Dan Lile will be in the chat room.  See the station website for details on how to tune in and entrance into the chat room.

http://www.theradiantflow.com/

You can purchase all Ajalon music and merchandise at their website.  The disc contains ten songs clocking in at 67 minutes.  The incredible CD cover artwork is by Chris White.

The lyrics and liner notes are included in the layout and are top notch in quality.  

http://www.ajalon.net/index.htm

For those lucky people who pre-ordered the CD it will be autographed by all band members. The rest of you progressive rock and music lovers should hurry and order your copy today. 

Hear the message and live the music of Ajalon which means “Grace in the midst of the Fire”. You can read more about the band and hear music samples at their website.

Reviewed by Sun - Past Internet Radio Station

Founder, and DJ, and most of all music fan.

Thanks to Harmony, who made some great suggestions and corrected my mistakes. 

*Always spreading the good word*

Post Reply Post Reply