FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on the double album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 23:39
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I know it's all about taste y'all but for me Tales, Electric Ladyland, White Album, Lamb and Tago Mago would be significantly enhanced by some judicious editing/pruning. All have their fair share of filler methinks?

Haven't heard Tales, but I heavily disagree with trimming Electric Ladyland and The White Album. Not sure about Lamb, need to give it another listen.

Heartily agree with Tago Mago though. "Aumgn" has to be one of the most pointless tracks Can ever did. I don't care if it was experimental or went against the mold, it's just plain boring.

Other examples:

Cream's Wheels Of Fire. Just put "Crossroads" on the studio side and leave out the rest. Boom. You now have their best album.

The current version of Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa. Bring back the original 76 minute version, I'm tired of having to switch CDs just so I can listen to "King Kong".

Roxy And Elsewhere (also by Zappa): Love the first three sides, found the fourth to be boring.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 23:46
I can't stand most doubles. 

White Album, I wouldn't change much, but All Things Must Pass? Quadrophenia? I can't hand;e a good third of either of those records. Electric Ladyland is a miserable wreck of masturbatory sprawl. I literally only listen to half the first side and half the last side on it.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 01:37
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

White Album, I wouldn't change much, but All Things Must Pass? Quadrophenia? I can't hand;e a good third of either of those records. Electric Ladyland is a miserable wreck of masturbatory sprawl. I literally only listen to half the first side and half the last side on it.

Unless you have heard ever double album ever, This is a bit of a silly thing to say. If you were to say 'I can't stand most doubles in which the overall quality of the product is affected by the overlength', sure. I understand that. But hating something simply for its length is odd.
CloseToTheMoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 09:24
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

From SEBTP, I'd cut "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "More Fool Me" (cliché choices, I know).I'd also shorten "The Battle of Epping Forest". 

Why stop there?   Just throw those songs under the bus in their entirety.

I love all of those tracks! Epping Forest does have some dull spots, but it's always been a highlight for me.
It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 10:35
Originally posted by CloseToTheMoon CloseToTheMoon wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

From SEBTP, I'd cut "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "More Fool Me" (cliché choices, I know).I'd also shorten "The Battle of Epping Forest". 

Why stop there?   Just throw those songs under the bus in their entirety.

I love all of those tracks! Epping Forest does have some dull spots, but it's always been a highlight for me.
I love 'em too.
7headedchicken View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 17:32
I love double albums.  There are some I prefer over others (most days I'd rather listen to Quadraphenia than Tommy), and there are plenty of single albums that seem longer while on, but I'm even happy to sit through the longest Zappa and Prince double, triple, and quadruple albums in one sitting, and I do think it's more true to the artists' vision to listen to them from beginning to end.  As for the word filler, I don't really like that word either... there may be such thing, but even if I consider something to be a one or two star album, I still always listen to the whole thing without skipping tracks, because I like to honor the piece of music as a complete work of art, plus some songs can grow on you over time.

Edited by 7headedchicken - January 21 2012 at 17:37
Turillazzo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 13:49
Modern  75 minutes albums are killing me.
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 17:52
No matter what anyone says, the Lamb should never have editing. Sure, there are some weak songs, but it flows so well and is maybe the most COMPLETE album I've ever listened to. had it been one disc, Rael's journey would have been short and uneventful because the best parts of the story are on the second disc. This is why double (concept albums, at least) are double albums, to make their point. It sometimes takes more than 40 minutes to tell a story.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 18:19
I love 'em.  In the good old days you could clean your weed in the gatefold. Tongue

But yeah, when it comes to The Lamb, you can't take away parts.  Filler is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 23 2012 at 18:20
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by MattGuitat MattGuitat wrote:

No matter what anyone says, the Lamb should never have editing. Sure, there are some weak songs, but it flows so well and is maybe the most COMPLETE album I've ever listened to. had it been one disc, Rael's journey would have been short and uneventful because the best parts of the story are on the second disc. This is why double (concept albums, at least) are double albums, to make their point. It sometimes takes more than 40 minutes to tell a story.
I fully agree with you. The Lamb can't have any parts taken off because it just flows like a movie. There's some weak songs but they fit in the album perfectly and make the great songs more enjoyable as you pass through the album. 
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 21:43
I fully agree with you two. Songs like Ravine or Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats are songs where nothing happens but flows so well with the rest of the album.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 23:30
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

Unless you have heard ever double album ever, This is a bit of a silly thing to say. If you were to say 'I can't stand most doubles in which the overall quality of the product is affected by the overlength', sure. I understand that. But hating something simply for its length is odd.

I don't hate it simply due to length. I love a few doubles (White Album, most Ayreon material, Jesus Christ Superstar, Songs in the Key of Life). I really only have a problem with albums where length affects quality (which happens to be almost every double album I've heard). I'm not judging albums I haven't heard. Don't be dense.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 09:25

I'm not judging albums I haven't heard. Don't be dense.

Noted. Next time I shall not take the words you say  literally, and attempt to understand that when you say something you actually mean the complete opposite. It was 'dense' of me not to pick up on that...

Edited by JS19 - January 24 2012 at 09:25
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 06:59

Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I don't hate it simply due to length. I love a few doubles (White Album, most Ayreon material, Jesus Christ Superstar, Songs in the Key of Life). I really only have a problem with albums where length affects quality (which happens to be almost every double album I've heard). I'm not judging albums I haven't heard. Don't be dense.

You know I would be quite proud of that description Clap and yes, it's an incoherent and unstructured mess for the most part but the highlights are worth waiting for i.e. Cross Town Traffic, Voodoo Chile, Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983 and All Along the Watchtower.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:00
I love all of Electric Ladyland and wouldn't cut a bit.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:07
^ Fine, if they change the title to Electric Landlady Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:21

Electric Ladyland is a miserable wreck of masturbatory sprawl. I literally only listen to half the first side and half the last side on it.

You haven't been doing something while viewing that album cover have you?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:22
^ If it's the cover used by PA then hey ...we have an issue
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:27
^ Aww, that's just wrong.  We have the correct cover for Santana's Abraxas.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 25 2012 at 07:27

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2012 at 07:30
^ Why don't we have the 'economically clad reclining nubile' cover for Electric Ladyland?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>