Topic ClosedSteve Davis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Davis
    Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:07

Steve Davis does not really need any introduction. A multi talented six times world champion in snooker (+ a lot of other titles too) and a big TV personality, he is one of the true icons here in United Kingdom and abroad.

Steve Davis is also a progressive rock fan and a ProgArchives user. He hosts a very good radio programme with listeners from Cape Town to the North Cape, from Siberia to California. In short, he is an icon.

I caught up with him for his story.

####################################################################################### 

You are mostly known as one of the biggest sports personalities in the civilized world (Read: The British Isles) and a multiple world champ in snooker, but is now semi-retired. Why did you take up snooker ?

I'm not sure I had any choice in the matter! I do think that when you discover something that is destined to become all consuming in you r path that IT chooses you just as much as you choose it! Snooker was my Father's hobby so I was aware of it at a younger age than most kids of that era and I was very lucky that as far as my timing went I was perfectly situated to take advantage of the massive TV exposure that the game received during the 80's

Your second career is host for a radio programme whose webversions has listeners around the globe although it is based in the home counties, England. Please tell us more about this radio programme.

In March 2007, After many years of trying,
Phoenixfm obtained a full time local community radio licence. I had been doing an occasional Soul Music show during some of our intermittent broadcasts but when I was asked to do a full time show I decided to "go back to my roots" and present an Alternative Music Show. I was always into the "Canterbury" Jazz Rock scene as a teenager and I also had a long term passion for the French band Magma and Gentle Giant, but I had started to seek out new bands from around the world and thought that I could put together a credible effort on Phoenixfm.I occasionally delve back into the past but more importantly I try to highlight the abundance of fantastic music that is out there today. Wayside Records, Music by Mail, Syn-Phonic, Musea, ALtrock, Soleil Zeuhl and of course ProgArchives (plus many more) have all been a great source of info and product.
My Radio Show "The Intersting Alternative Show" goes out each Monday at 10pm - 12 Midnight (UK Time). It's on FM on a very low powered transmitter but I get people tuning in from all over via
www.phoenixfm.com There's a webcam and chatroom so we can all interact and the conversation is as alternative as the music. Real Ale is the current topic!

Some of my recent guests have been: Geoff Richardson and Jim Leverton (Caravan), Charles Hayward (This Heat, Camberwell Now) Kavus Torabi (Knifeworld, Guapo, Cardiacs), Matt Baber and Joff Winks (Antique Seeking Nuns, Sanguine Hum) Daniel O'Sullivan (Guapo, Ulver, Atheanor)

….... but what you are most known for among us nerds is being an avid
Magma fan. If I am not wrong, you promoted some of their gigs in the British Isles. Please tell us more about why you like Magma and please list your five favorite Magma compostions and your five favorite Magma albums.

During the 80's my main musical passion was collecting Soul Music. I'd forgotten about Magma and all of the other bands from my teenage past and my life had become pretty hectic and the Snooker had become a full time career with the added bonus (I think!) of becoming pretty famous here in the UK as hundreds of hours of competitive play were shown on the BBC every year.
In 1987 I walked into a Record Shop in LOndon and spotted an LP which had Christian Vander's name on the front and the name "Offering". When I played the LP that night I was blown away and couldn't believe that "Magma" were still going strong. Within 6 months I had contacted Magma and had organised 3 concerts in London at the Bloomsbury Theatre. The concerts were billed as "Magma" even though (unbeknown to me even with the LP clue) it was "Offering". I was happy to take a loss on the concerts even though they were sold out (500 seats) but it didn't help that whilst the original band line up that I saw had approx 6 members, Offering had 14! The hotel bill was enormous! However, it was one of the best experiences of my life and regardless of the mini heart attack I was given when the road manager informed me that the house grand piano was rubbish and I needed to get another one with only 4 hours before the first night, it was worth every penny!!
It's impossible to explain to a "non believer" what it is about Magma that is so good. You either love them or hate them, but if you get someone to see them live then there is a chance that you could "convert" the occasional person.
It's difficult to pick 5 albums or compositions. I really do like all of them.

Besides of Magma; please list some of the other bands you like and why. Please list your five favorite non-Magma albums.

Well, it changes by the week! And the Why? Who knows!! 
I've recently been getting into Frank Zappa (bit late I know) and I love "Jazz From Hell" and the Ensemble Orchestra's "Yellow Shark"
I'd Have to put the new North Sea Radio Orchestra's CD "I a Moon" in there
I absolutely love Charles Hayward's Camberwell Now and the complete works CD entitled "All's Well"
Patricia Dallio (Procession) , Albert Marcoeur (Plusier Cas de Figures) , Tipographica/Unbeltipo, (any) Univers Zero (too many), Art Zoyd (Berlin), phlox (both) , Vezhlivy Otkaz (latest), Cosa Brava (latest).... The list goes on!! And of Course Caravan (Plump & Pink!) is that 5?

You are semi-retired from snooker, but still a BBC presenter for their very successful snooker coverage. The new issue of Classic Rock Presents Prog (out 13. July 2011) features your Caravan interview. Are you planning to expand your media career in progressive rock any further ? Your contributions are more than welcome in ProgArchives.

I've not really considered the possibility of this. I suppose if I could use my "celebrity" status to good effect then it would make up for the huge gaps in my musical knowledge that others have. My depth of presenting goes as far as "here's another one of my favourites!" ... but I know what I like and I think that I have good taste 
I quite enjoy my radio show and feel that if one extra person get's turned on to some music they otherwise would never have known existed then ... "my work here is done" ... until the next show!
It was a pleasure meeting Geoff Richardson and Pye Hastings and we went off after the formalities and had Fish and Chips and a tea! (well Pye had a glass of Red Wine) so perhaps I will consider expanding my horizons in this direction and perhaps it would also be nice to have a page in Prog Rock where I could highlight some of the more left field artists. As far as ProgArchives goes, I do feel that there are far more knowledgeable people out there so I reeckon that you've got all based covered quite nicely.

Is there anything you want to add to this interview, including any snooker and music advice to us in ProgArchives ?

Certainly no Snooker advice and perhaps the only music advice would be
a. Go to see live music. They are memories for life.
b. Support the Artist by buying their CD's so hopefully they make some money from thier talent and your entertainment!!
As far as ProgArchives goes, perhaps the only thing I would like to see added is more info on Lp/CD releases. i.e. info regarding first pressings, second issues, various country issues, reissues, bootleg warnings and the like. It's a minefield out there!!

Thank you to Steve Davis for taking time to answer these questions in the middle of his very busy schedule 

His interest in our music is an inspiration to us all 

(and a very good alibi towards our sceptical partners/parents/children)

His radio show and chatroom is here

His Wikipedia biography is here

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - July 20 2011 at 11:14
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:22
Wow.  I didn't know he was a PA user!! I've only watched a little snooker, but thought he was great in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.  Big smile

Edited by Stooge - July 20 2011 at 11:25
A fun place to review and discuss metal: MetalMusicArchives
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:34
Clap  Fantastic interview Torodd !  Interesting to hear his thoughts about us needing more info about CD/LP reissues etc. I use RYM a lot for that because they are very detailed about the release info and re-issue info including what label and from what country and the year too of course.Man that would be a lot of work though to establish that info on here.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - July 22 2011 at 13:26
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 11:58
Quite Interesting LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 12:01
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Quite Interesting LOL

LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 12:06
I'll resist the "interesting" pun (LOL), but another great interview, and it's nice to see the great man uses PA.

I've always liked Steve Davis and his radio show is well worth the listen.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 13:46
I used to watch him on TV a lot in the eighties because Cliff Thorburn a Canadian snooker player was usually involved.  That was an interesting story about bring Magma over for a concert. I'm sure i read somewhere that Davis paid Magma to play at one of his birthday bashes,actually i think it was VDGG.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 13:55
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I'll resist the "interesting" pun (LOL), but another great interview, and it's nice to see the great man uses PA.

What pun?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 14:26
Excellent! Clap
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 15:00
Clap
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 15:02
Think this one is appropriate here :-)

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 16:07
Nice interview.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 23:41
Well, this was unexpected. :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2011 at 16:32
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

What pun?

Rack up another who doesn't get the pun. I think we may have been snookered into thinking there is some trick shot-like play on words *cue embarrassment if I'm missing what may seem obviious to others and chalk it up to ignorance -- just don't blackball me for my all too obvious puns...)

..............................................................................................................

He has very good tastes according to my very good tastes.  I love snooker, and used to play, and watch it on TV, a lot.  I knew Steve Davis (I mean, not personally, but would watch him play on TV in my corner of Canada) long before Magma.  I already knew something about his music tastes (particularly with regard to Magma), but I had no idea that he had a PA account.  Anyway, very good interview.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2011 at 13:52
One of the good guys. Enjoyed reading the interview. I'll have to see about checking out the show.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 03:17
Excellent interview Torodd and Steve. Clap

For those who genuinely don't get the "interesting" reference; a satirical puppet show called "Spitting image" (1980's?) did a sketch in which Steve's agent said he needed a nickname. Other snooker players had nicknames like "Whirlwind" and "Hurricane". They decided that Steve's should be "Interesting". I think I'm right in saying that Steve found it as funny as everyone else, and it has sort of stuck.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 04:40
Nice!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 07:06
Awesome, he listens to NSRO Smile
There be dragons
 Post Reply Post Reply