Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSimilar groups to Novalis and Hoelderlin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar groups to Novalis and Hoelderlin
    Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:21
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Anyone's Daughter would be my best bet, not just Pictor's Verwandlungen. They also had a similar development to Novalis and Hoelderlin, going for somewhat shorter but still pleasant and intelligent German language songs in the eighties. 
There's an East German band called Stern-Combo Meissen (or Stern Meissen) and "Weisses Gold" or their first live album may fit the bill. I like "Reise zum Mittelkpunkt des Menschen" most, but that sounds quite different from Hoelderlin and Novalis. You may also find something to like in Electra's output, another East German band.

I recommend Anyone's Daughter as well

Here are examples

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

First band that came to my mind was Ramses. Their first album (La Leyla) is excellent start to finish. Their 2nd has its moments.
Love the 3 Hoelderlin albums (s/t, Clowns and Clouds, Rare Birds) - some of the best German symphonic Prog (they lost much of the first album Folkiness) I've heard.
Love Novalis from their 2nd s/t album, through to Flossenengel. After that, I've once had the LP Sterntaucher, which I cashed in coz it was really disappointing. Love what I've heard from Augenblicke though. Need to get that one.
Oh, there's an odd, very short, Lutz Rahn album from '78 called Solo Trip. It's hit and miss. Great keyboards and playing, but it hasn't aged well, mainly down to the cheezy rhythm-box he utilised.

omg Augenblicke is worth it just for this opening track, one of my favorite instrumentals ever, played with a trad German instrument too!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 23:44
First band that came to my mind was Ramses. Their first album (La Leyla) is excellent start to finish. Their 2nd has its moments.
Love the 3 Hoelderlin albums (s/t, Clowns and Clouds, Rare Birds) - some of the best German symphonic Prog (they lost much of the first album Folkiness) I've heard.
Love Novalis from their 2nd s/t album, through to Flossenengel. After that, I've once had the LP Sterntaucher, which I cashed in coz it was really disappointing. Love what I've heard from Augenblicke though. Need to get that one.
Oh, there's an odd, very short, Lutz Rahn album from '78 called Solo Trip. It's hit and miss. Great keyboards and playing, but it hasn't aged well, mainly down to the cheezy rhythm-box he utilised.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 01 2017 at 23:47
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:01
Anyone's Daughter would be my best bet, not just Pictor's Verwandlungen. They also had a similar development to Novalis and Hoelderlin, going for somewhat shorter but still pleasant and intelligent German language songs in the eighties. 
There's an East German band called Stern-Combo Meissen (or Stern Meissen) and "Weisses Gold" or their first live album may fit the bill. I like "Reise zum Mittelkpunkt des Menschen" most, but that sounds quite different from Hoelderlin and Novalis. You may also find something to like in Electra's output, another East German band.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 13:22
Streetmark- Nordland (led by excellent keyboard player, Dorothea Raukes)
Anyones Daughter- Piktors Verwandlungen (instrumental with some spoken German parts, based on the story by Herman Hesse)

Certainly Grobschnitt and Ramses!

I love Hoelderlin; I think that 'Traumstadt live' is one of the best live lps ever!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 01:03
maybe Neuschwanstein - Battlement (1979)
Grobschnitt (up until 1977)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 21:10

Ramses might fit the bill, or Minotaurus' sadly only release.  Perhaps Aigues Vives?  I need to think on this a bit more

synthonaplinth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2011 at 14:15
I love both Novalis and Hoelderlin, their style of music, the fact they derive much of their subject matter from classic German poets (the term that German music journalists have coined for them is 'Romantische Rockmusik'). What I am wondering is if there are any other artists in Germany that do the same thing? I have checked out Eloy, and they seemed more of a German Pink Floyd, whereas Kraan was more of a psychedelic jazz band, and Guru Guru and Can were about as Krautrock as you could get (love 'New Age Of Earth' by Ashra, tho). Does anyone have any suggestions on further listening in this somewhat obscure genre?
 Post Reply Post Reply