Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease recommend some ANGE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please recommend some ANGE
    Posted: July 22 2011 at 19:58
Please recommend some Ange - Have not heard much at all...

<

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - July 22 2011 at 20:04
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 20:05
They have lots of albums but i guess there must be a masterpiece somewhere there - even a master song would do...
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 20:08
Huge number of albums and I don't know them all (specially the later ones I don't know), but the best I know is not there... that's (IMO ofcourse) the live album Tome VI...
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 20:19
It depends on what you´re looking for really. The first one is very rough around the edges and rocking, whereas I personally think their second effort Cimitiere is far better. In fact I think it´s the best from them. It still maintains some of the rock potion from the first one, but adds some psyche and symphonics to the mix. 
If you on the other hand are a sucker for "clean" pastoral and theatrical symphonic rock music - you should most likely start out with Au-dela du delire or Par les fils de Mandrin. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 20:55
Their first 6 releases are outstanding. This was when they were definitely ....on a roll! Moving quickly from one album to the next and really creative.
Caricatures.....this is a nice album, but save it for last. It doesn't actually compare to the other 5.
Le Cimetiere Des Arlequins.....This is just absoulutely one of their best. The mellotron is what stands out for me personally on this title. It clocks in at about 35 minutes...

..so it flows rather fast.

By the Sons of Mandrin
Guet-Apens
Au-Dela Du De Lire
Emily Jacotey

This was their magical period. I had a few releases from the 80's and either the spark was gone or they decided to change their writing style. I didn't care too much for their later material.

They have been considered the French Genesis. However after careful consideration with time and listening I can dismiss this so called influence of Genesis and except them for their originality. I love their ideas. It took me about a week of getting used to Christian DeCamps voice. I was hooked after that. All 6 titles are very worthwhile. If you haven't already....you must adapt to hearing French. I am one of those people who does not understand the language , but loves to hear it. Although I do have the English version of Sons of Mandrin. If you enjoy a story about the circus life...you will like it.  A very special band.

Edited by TODDLER - July 22 2011 at 20:56
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 21:04
^Great post Toddler.
And speaking of that mellotron - It really does give Cimitiere that special feel. Never been able to spot the Genesis parallel though - other than both bands had a thing for 12 string guitar and mellotron.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 22:03
Thanks everyone! I will order Le Cimetiere Des Arlequins and Au-Dela Du De Lire and go from there.
Hug
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2011 at 05:01

Warning: Le Cimetiere Des Arlequins has horrible sound - which is odd, because to my ears both Caricatures and Au-delà du Délire sound great. 

I agree that the first 6 are good to explore. This is how I rate them:
Caricatures - 4 stars
Le Cimetiere Des Arlequins - 3 stars
Au-delà du Délire - 5 stars, and in my opinion one of the rare albums that blows away the PA scale. 
Emile Jacotey - 3 stars
Par Les Fils du Mandrin - 3 stars 
Guet-Apens - 4 stars

After this, I would recommend a different approach: skip to Les Larmes du Dalai Lama and follow up from there - in my opinion, Le bois travaille, même le Dimanche is their best since Guet-Apens.

Also, if you enjoy their later albums (and some are indeed quite enjoyable, despite less progish), you must get the brilliant Troisieme Étoile A Gauche (it's under Christian Decamps, but it is really the current line-up of Ange). 
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply