Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hune
    Posted: July 25 2011 at 10:00

HUNE appears to be the project of Daniel Couturier, who at least plays guitar, and possibly the other instruments on the album as well. The vocals are provided by André Bourget. The debut album, "De l'Autre Côté du Monde," was released in 2009. They have already begun work on their second album, which will be "a move towards our own style" (from Daniel Couturier).

I got in touch with the band and Daniel answered my questions.

##################################################################################

When, where and by whom was your band born ? Did any of you, past and present members, play in any other bands before joining up in your band ?

In fact, Hune is not a group but rather a personal project, the group concept is not appropriate. I purposely left open the possibility that Hune may be a group. The reason is personal, you know, a lot of music I listen constantly to tell the truth, well, everything I've heard, and I will not name any names, I have never been to a heart stroke multi-instrumentalist. In fact, I am very critical in terms of music and more, to the multi-instrumentalists. In most cases, there is enough detail that annoys me to the point of not wanting to repeat listening, it is. Sometimes it is just retail but for me it may be enough to take away the pleasure of listening. For example, each player must have his way of playing an instrument, it has an identity, a musical footprint and therefore when each instrument has the same footprint, I do not feel that this is a group. The music becomes too facing the same identity. For me, each instrument must have its own identity and the musician must perform within its limits. In addition, a programmed drum that sounds wrong, I hate it. The music box is a challenge for those who want to give the illusion of a real drummer. This is not a task that can be taken lightly. I argue that in order to even schedule a battery, it must above all be a good drummer. Similarly, when it comes to reproduce virtually any instrument that is. These are defects that I met too often listening to albums by multi-instrumentalists and so much reason to fear the fears of fans of progressive rock. That's why I prefer the illusion that Hune is a group. It made me indeed, a pleasure to read in a French magazine that Hune was probably the work of young musicians who were so surprisingly strongly influenced by the legendary groups of the 70s.
You know, when I look at a work of art, a painting for example, the representation of a landscape, say a sunset, the painter must pass to represent the brightness of the sun, giving the impression by looking at our pupil dilates due to solar radiation. If he succeeds, his painting is worth contemplation. In the manner of a painter, Hune must reach to give the impression that it is a group of musicians, each of which has an identity all its own. As for music, the challenge requires Hune virtual musicians or not, it is guitarist, bassist, keyboardist and drummer, everyone must bring their own ideas and be creative ... just like a real band depending on the design that I have of course.
I chose the name Hune at a time when I finished reading the work of Patrick O’Brian best known for his Aubrey–Maturin series of novels set in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars and centred on the friendship of English Naval Captain Jack Aubrey and the Irish–Catalan physician Stephen Maturin. The parts of the first album Hune were all inspired adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey, the "Surprise" mentioned in the part « Mission en Mer » is the name of Aubrey’s ship refers to the novel headline HMS Surprise (1973 ). The album title « De l’Autre côté du Monde » inspired by the novel The Far Side of the World (1984) and so on « Le Revers de la Médaille »,  The Reverse of the Medal (1986) , « La Lettre de Marque »,  The Letter of Marque (1988).

Why did you choose that name ?

In fact, the name "Hune" comes from reading the news. The crow's nest of a ship is a platform through the masts. Placed at the end of the lower mast, it has several functions: It is the position most common for seamen and in ancient times to collisions, while seamen had a firing position in the fighting interesting together. In addition, the watch was guaranteed in the foretop. ... And that's where the name comes Hune.

For those of us unknown with your music; how would you describe you music and which bands would you compare yourself with ?

Hune is a symphonic progressive rock band, the eclecticism of the first album is due to the experimentation of different methods of music composition. For example, I tried to put together a piece from the battery, it gave "The Reverse of the Medal." It's not my favorite piece on the album but it has moments, in the end, I found the room quite successful although the different influences seems too obvious. When I listen to this piece, I hear Sloche (Quebec group of 70's), the Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd and the Genesis and Grobshnitt. It is not with such a piece that brings out its own identity. In this sense, this piece shows some approach that will not be repeated, I call it learning. The play "Mission Sea" was composed from the bass, it gave a piece that is quite similar to the Pendragon and Eloy, I still class in the class, not original at all and too easy to listening to me is the rapid consumption. It's not that the style of Hune, his music is not as easy to identify as I thought at first. No, in the end, the part that most resembles Hune is "Citadel" and "The Letter of Marque," they are also the only ones to have been composed on keyboards. Thus, the identity of Hune is on that path, much less obvious influences for these parts and my greatest satisfaction.

Your one and only album so far; De l'Autre Côté du Monde was released in 2009. Please tell us more about this album.

As I mentioned, Hune was inspired by the stories of the great travelers of the sea Whether the adventures of an officer of the Royal Navy at the time of Napoleon or the time of exploration and the discovery of a new continent. I like to imagine what we discovered when we leave his homeland to go into the unknown. "From the Other Side of the World" is also a consequence of the decisions we take in our lives, the decision to leave some things to be someone behind and move on. It is also to mourn the past. But what awaits us on the other side, after a long and perilous journey? And magic when the top of the mast, a sailor yells, Earth! Land in sight! What is this world which we know nothing, was it worth giving up everything to get there?

What have you been up to since the release of your album and what is your latest update ? What is your plans for this year and beyond ?

The new album is entirely composed, there are still some parts of bass and guitar store and finds a singer, which could delay the release of the album.

Well, I presume to say Hun has found what he sought and he found his style. I can say that the second album will be more intense in its subtlety than the first. More intense because each of the musicians Hune have improved in their game will result in a more consistent album which all aspects that will be raised a notch. Better musicians, better sound, better production ... It will be much stronger overall.

To wrap up this interview, is there anything you want to add to this interview ?

Hune is progressive rock without constraints and without any expectation. I make music without compromise, a music inspired by my gut only. So I have a rule of thumb, finish what I started and the best of my ability. I want to love my music, have fun to play and be proud.

Thank you to Daniel for this interview

No Youtube vidoes was found. ***** !! I would love to hear some music from them.

Their PA profile is here & their homepage is here

Post Reply Post Reply