Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Morse: The 1978 Dixie Dregs Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Morse: The 1978 Dixie Dregs Interview
    Posted: July 26 2011 at 14:17

Back in June 1978, while the groundbreaking instrumental band Dixie Dregs were on their "What If" Tour, I did interviews with Steve Morse and Andy West for Guitar Player magazine. Three weeks ago Steve and Andy gave me permission to retranscribe the original tapes, and it turns out that about 80% of the material was never published. A lot of the stuff in Steve's 10,000-word interview is amazing! Steve starts by going way deep into his gear -- at the time, he was playing the hybrid Telecaster with a Strat neck and five pickups, all of which he assembled himself. Then he covers his background, with many funny and insightful stories that have never before been published.

Highlights include his descriptions of the culture shock he endured after moving from Ypsilanti, Michigan, to Augusta, Georgia, how he kept getting kicked out of school, and his entry into the underground hippie scene in what he describes as a redneck community. There are also a lot of details about the evolution of his playing style and bands, the formation of the Dixie Dregs, the band’s first three releases -- The Great Spectacular, Free Fall, and What If -- and their strategy for recording. Steve also covers his approach to composing and how to arrange guitar with violin and bass. If you’re interested in seeing the whole conversation, it’s posted here: http://jasobrecht.com/steve-morse-complete-1978-dixie-dregs-interview/
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 15:57
Thank you for posting this. I am a huge Dixie Dregs and Steve Morse fan and am excited to have the opportunity to read such an in depth interview with one of my favorite musicians. I was fortunate enough to see the Dixie Dregs-going by The Dregs at the time-twice during the Unsung Heroes period. They were amazing. They actually opened for Jefferson Starship and blew them off the stage, half the audience left after the Dregs set!! 

Can't wait to get into this. Thanks again! 
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 16:23
ClapThumbs Up
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 18:40
Thanks.  I've got one ticket stub without a year that I was on a day ending in y on November 18that some place with Theater as it's last name. LOL  I've also got a stub from The Great Southeast Music Hall without date or band name.  My first year identifiable dated stub is October 27 1979, followed by December 31 1979, April 26 1980.  Needless to say over the years I have set a personal record for number of shows I attended no other band will beat. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 14:58
Great Interview.
Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply