Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jon Anderson, Aracada Theater, St. Charles, IL USA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJon Anderson, Aracada Theater, St. Charles, IL USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Anderson, Aracada Theater, St. Charles, IL USA
    Posted: August 08 2011 at 00:37
Greetings!   My wife and I had the pleasure to attend Jon Anderson's "An Acoustic Evening With Jon Anderson, the Voice Of Yes" at the historic Arcada Theater in St. Charles, Illinois USA on Friday, 5 August.   This venue, seating about 1,000, was a very intimate setting for the concert, providing us with excellent sight-lines and reasonably good acoustics (despite some problems at the mixing board throughout the show....!  Amateur!)

Jon's setlist seems to be very similar to others he has played on this tour, mixing classic Yes music with a few originals, solo bits and generous banter with the audience.   I didn't write the entire setlist down, but songs included "Starship Trooper," "Roundabout," "Owner of a Lonely Heart," his reggae-infused "Time And A Word,"  "Sweet Dreams," "Soon," and bits of "Turn of the Century," "Close To The Edge" and even "The Revealing Science of God"!   

He sang "Will You Marry Me?" directed to his wife, Janee, sitting in the front row.  Lovely. 

My own favorite was "Flight of the Moorglade" from Olias of Sunhillow, which I recorded (*gasp!*) and posted onto Youtube.   See below. 

He mostly played acoustic guitar, but used his "Strumstick" on Moorglade, did one song on ukele (can't recall, it was a hoot!) and played the Kurzweil keyboard to accompany himself on "Revealing"  

Having first seen Jon in concert in 1972, I had a long history of performances with Yes to compare this concert to.  
His voice seems fully recovered and was classic Jon Anderson contra-tenor, with virtually no trace of his health problems in the past.  He did get a bit hoarse on some very high notes (he had another show a few days before), but I didn't detect any problems with his range, power or diction.  His skills on his instruments were more than adequate for this performance, and the crowd was very loud, boisterous and supportive. 

Interestingly, he told one poignant story about Yes playing in Argentina in the years of the Falklands War (the band had a death threat against them), and he spoke somewhat kindly of Chris Squire in that story....(Chris told Jon that the singer was likely the first one who would be killed!)

There is much of Anderson's "Voice of Yes" material on Youtube, including his singing of "Soon" at this show, so please search around for it!  This performance was at least the equal of other shows I've watched onliine, and I highly recommend seeing him if you can.  

Also, please note that Jon and Rick Wakeman have announced some tour dates in the near future at his website!!  Clearly, we have not heard the last of Jon Anderson!!  Cheers to all at PA, Charles & Ginny

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 08:17
The genius lives onClapClap

Great post, Charles!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 12:05
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Great post, Charles!

Thank you, Steve!  Indeed, he does!  In fact, he seems to be thriving! 

I forgot, he also did a LOVELY version of "Wond'rous Stories," one of my all time favorites!  The crowd was very vocal in its support for Jon.  Wish you could have been there!  p.s. happy belated birthday to your son!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 13:20
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Great post, Charles!

Thank you, Steve!  Indeed, he does!  In fact, he seems to be thriving! 

I forgot, he also did a LOVELY version of "Wond'rous Stories," one of my all time favorites!  The crowd was very vocal in its support for Jon.  Wish you could have been there!  p.s. happy belated birthday to your son!

He says thank you!Big smile

I'm really hoping that the Rabin, Anderson, and Wakeman project comes off and they tour in the UK. I would travel a fair few miles to see that one.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 15:48
I was at the show too, and it was awesome!  I ended up getting to meet Jon, and he signed my Close to the Edge record and my Fellowship, In Elven Lands cd (which he was surprised to see!)  He seems completely genuine and as positive as all his music suggests.  Plus, his voice seems to have completely recovered because he sounded wonderful, and the casual setting was very enjoyable. The setlist was good, and overall it was a excellent experience.
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 19:05
I live less than 10 minutes from this venue and I was out of town this weekend. Still kicking myself.
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 22:55
^ Sucks.

And glad to hear you enjoyed the concert, cstack.

Jon is better than ever, really.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 06:32
he's playing Friday, very close to my town.  I have to see if I can afford to get tickets.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:07
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

^ Sucks.

And glad to hear you enjoyed the concert, cstack.

Jon is better than ever, really.

Thank you very much, LTS!  I've always enjoyed seeing Jon in any iteration, including Yes tours of CTTE, Relayer, GFTO, Union and 35th Anniversary (I seem to have missed a few tours over the years!!), and it was a pleasure to see him in high spirits and good voice! 

I wish all of his fans could share in the experience.  There are many good videos up on YouTube, and perhaps he will release a compilation DVD someday?  I'd enjoy having a high-quality recording of this tour.  Cheers!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2011 at 15:42
This was Jon's encore "Soon" at the Arcada Theater show:

The-time-is-now View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 06:59
Wonderful ! Thanks for the videos.

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 14:42

cstack3 iam glad you enjoyed the show .jon is in fantastic shape  .i saw hi la couple months ago in los angeles an it was so magical. btw his playing was great  [especially in starship trooper  ] 

here is one of my favorites part of his show [ extremly funny LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL ] 

Edited by martinprog77 - August 10 2011 at 14:43
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 10:01
Cry I had a physical issue that prevented me from seeing Jon last night.  And h the show was just a few miles from my house.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply